Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Landlord advice

Options
  • 05-11-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

1st time landlord, unable to sell house, tenants found and moving in shortly and wondering a couple of things:

(1) What do we supply?
    House is furnished, there is a washing machine, dishwasher, cooker, microwave all brand new etc but O/H wants to leave a hoover & TV?

(2) Where's the best place to get a lease?
    There are a few people moving in (all know each other), who signs the
    lease 1 "head" person or all 4?

(3) Transfering ESB, Bins etc who does it, tenants or us?

(4) Already paying €200 for extra house but what else do I need to do?

(5) Anything else I need to sort out or should know about before they move in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

(1) What do we supply? House is furnished, there is a washing machine, dishwasher, cooker, microwave all brand new etc but O/H wants to leave a hoover & TV?
    I would be disinclined to supply a TV, the risk is that it gets broken or stolen. However, what did you advertise as included? Vacuum cleaner will hopefully encourage them to keep things clean

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0534.html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/si/0462.html
    (2) Where's the best place to get a lease?
    Legal stationers.
    There are a few people moving in (all know each other), who signs the lease 1 "head" person or all 4?
    All four. that way, you can chase all four.
    (3) Transfering ESB, Bins etc who does it, tenants or us?
    Either can do it. You just need to make sure it has been done.
    (4) Already paying €200 for extra house but what else do I need to do?
    What do you mean by this? The NPPR charge? www.nppr.ie
    Have you told your insurers and bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Already paying €200 for extra house
    If you're referring to the NPPR charge, you should not have paid this: the property was not an NPPR on 31/03/2011 which is the date that matters. Apply for a refund (details of how are on the FAQ on the nppr website)
    Anything else I need to sort out or should know about before they move in?
    (i) You need to fully familiarise yourself with the RTA 2004. Do not become a Landlord without understanding your responsibilities and your Tenants' rights.
    (ii) Register the Tenancy with the PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Cheers

How many references should I get and somebody said I should get proof of identity off them, if so what should I get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Originally posted by variety
    i) You need to fully familiarise yourself with the RTA 2004. Do not become a Landlord without understanding your responsibilities and your Tenants' rights.
    (ii) Register the Tenancy with the PRTB

i) This is the place to start, knowing and understanding your obligations and the rights and obligations of the tenants. Landlords have very few rights!!
    You can download a copy of the Residential Tenancy Act 2004 from the PRTB website.

ii) If you rent the whole house as a single unit to multiple tenants, each tenant is "jointly and severally" liable for the rent and any damage caused. That is, if one tenant fails to pay, then the others are liable to pay in their stead.
    If you rent the a bedroom to each tenant (using 4 different leases, one for each tenant) and they have shared facilities such as kitchen, living-room and bathroom, then each tenant is liable only for his own share. Furthermore, with this setup, you do not have to register the tenancies with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I would have thought insurance and Revenue Commissioners are two of the most important things to get sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Cheers

How many references should I get and somebody said I should get proof of identity off them, if so what should I get?

ideally, get a reference from their previous landlords - by and large, their employers will not know how they treat the place they live in and whether they pay bills.

the only ID that matters is passports and driving licence.

meet them, follow your instincts about whether you think they will be decent tenants.

there are no gaurantees about tenants - or landlords - references can be faked, ID can be false, first impressions can be misleading, and pay slips tell you nothing about whether people smear excrement on the walls or pay the electric bill.

you need to be switched on, to act quickly when you see something you don't like, and to put yourself in you tenants shoes when something goes wrong in the property - and you really, really need to understand that this is a very heavily regulated business, and not in your favour, and not a god given right for you to get someone else to pay your mortgage for you.

Advertisement