Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread Improver

Options
  • 05-11-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I've been doing some googling for bread recipes online and have found some that require bread improver in it. I've never seen this in any of the supermarkets. Does anybody know where I can get it in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I've never heard of it. Are you sure you're not mistaking "proving the bread"? It simply means leaving bread to rise for a time before continuing to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

shinikins wrote: »
    I've never heard of it. Are you sure you're not mistaking "proving the bread"? It simply means leaving bread to rise for a time before continuing to the next stage.

im pretty sure it's bread improver and not proving the bread. it's in the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

My apologies, I googled it after writing my reply and it is improver added to the ingredients. It seems to be largely manufacturers that use it though, so i would imagine its quite difficult to source for home baking. I bake my own bread and the simplest recipe results in the tastiest loaf, if you're making bread just for yourself I doubt you would need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Vitamin C is bread improver, AKA Ascorbic acid.
    Cheaply got from any chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Vitamin C is bread improver, AKA Ascorbic acid.
    Cheaply got from any chemist.

I use a squeeze of lemon juice instead sometimes.

I tried buying Vit C for this purpose in my local chemist, but every Vit C tablet had something else added.

Can you recommend a bracnd of Vit C that is easy to crush and has worksed for you as a bread improver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ask for ascorbic acid powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Leopold of Ballina

You may need to explain why you want it. The biggest demand for Ascorbic Acid powder, particularly in cities, is from drug abusers to cut heroin, so most pharmacies do not stock it or keep it out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

this says pure vitamin c powder, any good?

HB003162_R_H200W000.gif

Advertisement