Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vortex diamondback 4-12x40

Options
  • 05-11-2011 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Can I ask if the scope is any good,
    Do any of you own or use one,

I was watching a couple of youtube videos and they were shooting 300 yards with a rugger 10 22 into a 6" piece of meat with a camera on the scope and it was very clear,
    Also did a 400 yards in to a metal plate, It was on a prairie with no winds and it looked unbelievable for a 10 22 but thats not what i was looking at. I was looking at the scope.
    Also some other vids as well but just wanted to know if your thoughts on them and what you might compare it with.
    My budget for a scope is around €200 and was almost ready to buy a Bushnell Banner 6-18 x50 as i already have one on my cz452 and although i'm happy enough with it i have nothing to compare it with.
    The Vortex can be got for around €250 ish. I just want the best scope for my limited budget and would appreciate your advise.

I only shoot in my back garden and the fields all round my house (with the land owners permission) at still targets about 60% of the time, then a few bunnies, loads of crows, magpies and the odd fox
    The max I would the using it would be 200 yards but mostly about 100 yards.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I have this scope coming in from midwayusa.com on wednesday.
    I'll do a video review for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

harmoniums wrote: »

Do you mind me asking how much it was and did you check around for the best price.
    Did you get the letter from customs yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Do you mind me asking how much it was and did you check around for the best price.
    Did you get the letter from customs yet,

I live in the states so no customs issues.
    It was $199

harmoniums wrote: »

Thanks I would appreciate that as it might help me to a decision,
    I hate not been sure about buying things,
    I'm always a bit worried when I don't know anyone with one or used one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

I think that in this price range (cca. 200€) it is hard to find a more robust and well made scope. They are manufactured in Philippines and quality is better than in most other Chinese scopes in the same price range. It is definitely better than Bushnell Banner.

I would however think about 3.5-10x50 model if you will ever use it at dusk or dawn. 50mm vs 40mm lens is quite a difference in low light.

The only similar competitor that croses my mind is Hawke Nite-Eye digital, but it is 60€ more expensive and I personally like diamondback more (I own a web shop for sports optics so I test a lot of scopes and binos).

Prices of Vortex in EU are the same as in US so I think that shopping for Vortex in the states does not brings any benefits.

• Advertisement

De_Tomaso wrote: »
    I think that in this price range (cca. 200€) it is hard to find a more robust and well made scope. They are manufactured in Philippines and quality is better than in most other Chinese scopes in the same price range. It is definitely better than Bushnell Banner.

I would however think about 3.5-10x50 model if you will ever use it at dusk or dawn. 50mm vs 40mm lens is quite a difference in low light.

The only similar competitor that croses my mind is Hawke Nite-Eye digital, but it is 60€ more expensive and I personally like diamondback more (I own a web shop for sports optics so I test a lot of scopes and binos).

Prices of Vortex in EU are the same as in US so I think that shopping for Vortex in the states does not brings any benefits.

Yer thanks, it's unusual for this type of thing to the the same price here as in the states,

Would you be sure that the Diamondback 3.5-10 x 50 would be definitely better than the bushnell 6-18 x 50, "It's make my mind up time..."

This is the price in my shop:

http://www.optics-trade.eu/shop/en/vortex-diamondback-4-12x40.html

If you calculate all the expanses of VAT and customs duty and paypal euro/dolar rate which is little bit different than bank rates, you see that the prices of Vortex products in EU and US are very very similar or even identical.

And yes, Diamondback scopes are definitely better than Bushnell Banner scopes. But comparing 6-18 with 3.5-10 is a bit like apples and bananas comparison.

De_Tomaso wrote: »
    This is the price in my shop:

http://www.optics-trade.eu/shop/en/vortex-diamondback-4-12x40.html

If you calculate all the expanses of VAT and customs duty and paypal euro/dolar rate which is little bit different than bank rates, you see that the prices of Vortex products in EU and US are very very similar or even identical.

And yes, Diamondback scopes are definitely better than Bushnell Banner scopes. But comparing 6-18 with 3.5-10 is a bit like apples and bananas comparison.

I know, sorry, what i meant was the actual scope quality rather than the scope spec.

In my opinion in almost every regard Diamondback series is better than Banner series.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭duffyer

I have the diamondback 4-12x40, got it from the opticzone in the states. In my opinion its very similiar to the burris fullfield II 3-9x40. Its very clear and its fairly good in low light. It cost me 250 in total, if i had known of that Eu website i would have got an adjustable optic version. Recommended if your going to be shooting alot of paper. For the budget i had at the time i think it was the best i could find. Im happy with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭duffyer

I have the diamondback 4-12x40, got it from the opticzone in the states. In my opinion its very similiar to the burris fullfield II 3-9x40. Its very clear and its fairly good in low light. It cost me 250 in total, if i had known of that Eu website i would have got an adjustable optic version. Recommended if your going to be shooting alot of paper. For the budget i had at the time i think it was the best i could find. Im happy with it

Yep, I made my mind up, I'm going for the Diamondback scope 3.5-10 x 50 from Optics-trade.eu. That's a great price..
    Just have to wait for a few weeks till i have the money as i just bought a Night Vision monocular so i'm skint now for a couple of weeks

Advertisement