Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pajero or trooper best buy

• 05-11-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Trying to decide which is the best jeep overall for me
    Need something to pull a 14 ft cattle trailer

Im to look at a 98 3.1 trooper and an 98 pajero 2.8, both nice condition and around €2900.
    Which of these has the most power

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

trooper without a doubt especially if you are going towing. were there 3.1l sold in 98?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

trooper without a doubt especially if you are going towing. were there 3.1l sold in 98?

there surley was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I have a 1995 Isuzu Trooper.Great jeep. I am pretty sure 3.1 liter engines are in the 1995-1998. After that the 3.0 liter engine are not as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

3.1 trooper was a brilliant piece of machinery. 2.8 pajero....not so brilliant, Serious problem with the head gasket going in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Neither of them are in the same league as a Landrover Defender, even an old Series III Landrover would run the pair of them into the ground.

George

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I think the trooper is the best puller . I dont think the defender would be much better than either of them and its like driving a brick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

ok that the pajero out then
    Also saw 99 landcruiser swb for bit more money €3850,
    are these a better and more reliable machine than the trooper 3.1 or Defender and would they have more pulling power,
    is it true that the trooper is only around 116bhp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

kincaid wrote: »
    ok that the pajero out then
    Also saw 99 landcruiser swb for bit more money €3850,
    are these a better and more reliable machine than the trooper 3.1 or Defender and would they have more pulling power,
    is it true that the trooper is only around 116bhp

Have a 3.0td cruiser and its been bulletproof so far. Oceans of power and far better on the road then the trooper or the pajero. It would be my choice anyway coming from a pajero before and having driven troopers

would it be better than the 3.1litre trooper mechanical wise and would it be better for towing ie more power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

14 foot cattle box is a hell of a big trailer, a longwheelbase trooper would be better than a shortwheelbase landcruiser.

lwb v lwb I dunno, the trooper's a great machine to tow, never towed with a landcruiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

the trooper over landcruiser for towing, we have both, trooper is 6 years older though. maybe a little less power but much more solid when towing

hi, these jeeps would all be SWB as would never go for the LWB as find them awkward to maneuver in tight places with a 14ft trailer attached

wouldnt the landcruiser have that more bhp therefore better than the trooper for the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

pre 00 landcruisers are very heavy on Diesel. we had a 97 SWB trooper and very good pulling a DP120. We now have a 02 LWB landcruiser and I find it more solid on road pulling the same box. The lock on the trooper was excellent. Really can't fault the 3.1 troopers. Loved the one that we had.

trooper seems the one then, as for the landcruiser best to go for d4d model for fuel economy

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

trooper seems the one then, as for the landcruiser best to go for d4d model for fuel economy

thanks

I would agree, but you are using the term "fuel economy loosely"! If you are towing with a Trooper you may tow a diesel bowser after the trailer....

However that's life, there's no free lunch, all that power comes from the combustion of hydrocarbons I suppose.

LostCovey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

LostCovey wrote: »
    you are using the term "fuel economy loosely"!

I've noticed a big change in our local mart. 4-5 years ago you'd look a bit odd coming in with a tractor and trailer. The yard would be full of jeeps and the bigger the trailer, the better..... 'I see your 12' and raise you a 14' triple axle!!'...

Nowadays there are more tractors and trailers. Jeeps and big trailers ain't recession friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we have a 1996 isuzu trooper 3.1 great job, dont think it will go through the doe this time , have it 12 years... am on the look out for a replacement now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you do buy a Pajero, don't drive it in Spain. It translates as a word that rhymes with banker and it's not usually a nice thing to call someone :D

It's a classic example of a seriously badly thought-out brand!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Solair wrote: »
    If you do buy a Pajero, don't drive it in Spain. It translates as a word that rhymes with banker and it's not usually a nice thing to call someone :D

It's a classic example of a seriously badly thought-out brand!

In it's home country, a pajero is a tough breed of mountain horse. The Pajero is known as the Montero in the Spanish speaking world.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

was also interested in the defender but God they are very expensive for what they are, bit crude looking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

was also interested in the defender but God they are very expensive for what they are, bit crude looking..
    What years have you been looking at? The 90 will cost more than a 110 but if you want it for towing then a 110 is what you want.
    I like how they look but thats a matter of taste, they are cramped inside however no geting away from that. Its a workhorse though no question, and if looked after will serve you for a long time and hold there value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

hi, these jeeps would all be SWB as would never go for the LWB as find them awkward to maneuver in tight places with a 14ft trailer attached

how many cattle can you fit in a 14 foot box? what weight are they?

putting a swb jeep in front of such a big trailer strikes me as madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

wouldnt the landcruiser have that more bhp therefore better than the trooper for the job

The landcruiser may have more power, but the trooper has great traction. I used to work with a landscaper that has a 98 3.1 trooper. Great machine, was pulling a 14x6 ivor willams builders trailer nearly every day with mini diggers, industrial sized tractor lawn mowers, bricks, peat...... it held the road very well under load.

He got advice from a builder before he got it, the builder went from a 3.1 trooper to a new at the time (03) landcruiser. He said the trooper was better for pulling big loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Used to pull a Nugent 14x6 with a 2.8 Pajero; she'd pull it alright but was quite bumpy and slow to pull a reasonable load in it. Have since changed to a LWB Landcruiser 3.0 which is stronger, stabler and more comfortable. It still knows it when there's a load on though. You'd fit 6-7 store cattle (at least I would) in the 14x6, 4-5 finished cattle. Fair weight in the latter however.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

I dont think it would be safe pulling a 14ft box with a swb jeep. its a fair fright when the cattle squash against the back at 40mph and you feel the back of the jeep waving.

Also do you know that there is a special driving test for a jeep and box, technically a standard B licence does not cover it.

Not sure if it has insurance implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

The law around here got shirty with a few lads and insisted on "eb" licenses to tow trailers.

Then if the combined trailer weight was over 3500kg they want "ec1" which is basically the mini artic license ( you could drive a guinness truck with it)

To make life more complicated you then have to do the cpc module once a year for 5 years to keep the ec1.

You can drive a 180hp jd with a 50k box with a 30ft cattle trailer when you are 16 though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

rahin man wrote: »

You can drive a 180hp jd with a 50k box with a 30ft cattle trailer when you are 16 though.....

Yea, Crazy stuff, I suspect 90% of people dont know that they dont have a licence for their jeep and box.

This new law regarding having your licence on you at all times while driving will probably throw up a few situations.

The insurance issue is the big one though. If it came down to it would you be covered in an accident?

Yes i have the full hgv licence so thats covers me.

i looked at the trooper and was disappointed as was not as described,
    i think it will be hard to get a good clean one.

the landrover defender i was thinking of going for was around the same age 97 -99 or so

thanks

• Advertisement

Some of the defenders for sale in england have tacographs fitted to them and speed limiters. Some even have air brakes for trailers!

The paddy usually copies englands traffic laws a few years later so watch this space...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Some of the defenders for sale in england have tacographs fitted to them and speed limiters. Some even have air brakes for trailers!

The paddy usually copies englands traffic laws a few years later so watch this space...;)

Isn't that an army thing in the uk. They use a lot of defenders in the forces and all are fitted with taco's for this purpose. Air brakes for sanky trailers and gun carriages that they tow.

I haven't seen a taco or air brakes on any new farming spec defenders in the uk. If a second hand model has them, its usually a sign that it has been on a few foreign trips :)

Ironically the lads on jihad usually use toyotas:)

More reliable!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

When you pull over a certain weight (I forget how much) you must have a taco fitted, on newer vehicles and it stands to reason that air brakes would be fitted to these also. I was on a CPC course last week all about tacos and I remember that bit because I questinoned it at the time and there are some exceptions.
    @ Kincaid the defender changed engines in 1999 from the 300 tdi to the td5 ,the td5 has more power but the earler ones had a few problems which were mostly sorted out in 2002. Having said that I have a 99 td5 for 6 years and I'm very happy with it. The 300 tdi has a lot of fans though and if you can find one with lowish milage it might be a better bet than an early td5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Peterbilt

I'm going to get butchered here I know, and with good reason based on experience of lots of owners, but what about 3.0 trooper? Big problem with them was injector seal failure, but Isuzu still replacing injectors on '99 troopers free of charge - thats approx €1000 of work - and by hell can those troopers pull. The later 3.1 troopers were 125bhp, earlier ones 113bhp far as i know. 2.8 Mitsu was 123bhp.
    Best jeep I ever drove was Hyundai Terracan. It would willingly take off in 2nd. 163bhp/340+ Nm of torque @1800rpm. Kind of rare, not common compared to other 4x4s. 2.9 engine. Sunroof as standard!! Quiet too.

And no Im not a hyundai dealer and I dont have one to sell. Drive a 3.0 trooper. Not for sale either:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

iv had two 3.0 troopers, never any problems , serious to pull, my garage man tells me a lot of the problem was wrong oil damaging seals, also i think after the reliable 3.1 any problems with th 3.0 was blown up,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Peterbilt

iv had two 3.0 troopers, never any problems , serious to pull, my garage man tells me a lot of the problem was wrong oil damaging seals, also i think after the reliable 3.1 any problems with th 3.0 was blown up,
    Agree 100%. The 3.0 MUST get 5w30 fully syn in engine. Anything else means trouble down the line. The injectors are fired by engine oil pressure. Its a CAT design. Far as I know Isuzu passes on costs of injector recall to the Yanks. Must have cost them a fortune.
    Other thing thats not a bad idea is to replace the secondary oil filter - the small upsidedown one - every 12000 miles or so. Supposed to be maintainance free but ignore that. Makes a big big difference.
    Came across a 3.0 there recently with 275000 on clock:)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

O.A.P wrote: »
    What years have you been looking at? The 90 will cost more than a 110 but if you want it for towing then a 110 is what you want.
    I like how they look but thats a matter of taste, they are cramped inside however no geting away from that. Its a workhorse though no question, and if looked after will serve you for a long time and hold there value.

You're right about serving you for a long time. My Series II 110 is a 1961 petrol model! Still going strong, works very hard in my woodland hauling logs out, just sailed through the UK MoT test, only thing the tester could find was a slightly dim front sidelight.
    Don't make them like they used to!!

George

Advertisement