Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming back miss sold credit card protection insurance in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Not sure but the only way I could see someone being mis-sold PPI is if the person selling it lied. Say if the sales person said that if they took out PPI the would be guaranteed getting the product. This was happening in AIB a few years ago iirc. If that's the case you'd be best to talk to the bank then the regulator. I haven't seen anyone on here post about claiming it back.

Here's a link with some other info related to PPI claims in Ireland http://www.primarytimes.net/parent_times_news_ie_reclaim_missold_ppi.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Is there any law firm that takes on these cases in Ireland? I see a few offering this service in the UK.

http://www.ppiclaimback.co.uk/

http://www.uswitch.com/payment-protection-insurance/?ref=ppcgoogle~gen~3959618&gclid=CNzxiIuxn6wCFUsZ4QodIjyY_A

In what way were you missold it firstly i guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

chris85 wrote: »
    In what way were you missold it firstly i guess?

Not properly explained to me and at the time, I was also self employed and doing a Fas course at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

In Ireland you would have signed or ticked the box.

The majority of the cases in the uk are based on having ppi added to their loan with no signature.

Weather it was explained to the customer is another issue but much harder to prove.

Regulation in Ireland has always been better than the uk when it comes to the bank protecting itself from a customer accusation of mis selling.

Not properly explained to me and at the time, I was also self employed and doing a Fas course at the time.

Ok some protection policies are life and illness cover and your employment status would be of no relevance.

If you had advised the bank you were self employed and they offered unemployment cover that only covers PAYE workers you should put a complaint in with the bank.

Have you checked which type of cover you got?

• Advertisement

What if someone was told they couldn't get a loan unless they took the PPI on top of it?

What if someone was told they couldn't get a loan unless they took the PPI on top of it?

Its up to the lender afaik. If the underwriter considers your occupation or role as a risk in the current climate then they may only grant the loan if PPI is taken. This protects you and the bank to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Consumer Credit Act makes it illegal for a lender to make a loan conditional on the customer taking out cover with the lender or their chosen insurance company. They can insist that you have the cover, but you must be free to take it from somewhere else if you want (and can get it).

Advertisement