Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertiliser for Veg and Fruit

Options
  • 05-11-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has a preference between these 3, or if there is much of a difference between them and how they are used ...

Growmore
    Fish, Blood and Bone
    Chicken Manure Pellets

Also, I just manured raised beds for spring. Would you add some of the above as well at any stage?

And one last question - been reading that root veg such as carrots and parsnips don't like recently manured beds. But if the manure was added now would that be considered 'recently'. Or would it be incorporated enough for next spring sowing of root veg?

Appreciate the advise, they are new beds and I want to get off to the best start.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

What are the N P K values for each?

N - for good leaf growth.
    P - for healthy roots.
    K - general health of plant.

For carrots I'd stick to whichever has the highest P value and apply a few weeks before sowing. I'd only dig manure in now so that it can rot and mix with the soil over winter. The normal fertilisers I would leave until closer to sowing time, assuming they would wash away in outdoor beds over winter. (Could be very wrong there though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

sirpsycho wrote: »
    What are the N P K values for each?

N - for good leaf growth.
    P - for healthy roots.
    K - general health of plant.

For carrots I'd stick to whichever has the highest P value and apply a few weeks before sowing. I'd only dig manure in now so that it can rot and mix with the soil over winter. The normal fertilisers I would leave until closer to sowing time, assuming they would wash away in outdoor beds over winter. (Could be very wrong there though!)

Pretty sound advice. with lower soil temps the soil won't do too much over winter until it starts to warm up so your better using fresh manure this time of year and letting it rot down overwinter. I only use artificial fertiliser just before I am going to plant or as a top dressing to say celery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Great,thanks both. The Growmore and Chicken pellets I was looking at are balanced (7-7-7) and the FBB is a bit higher in P. Probably a much of a muchness between them.
    So the manure is in and I'll probably go with FBB in spring before planting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

seaweed if you can get it for free is good.
    There is a new range of Irish seaweed fertilizers.

For carrot and parsnip beds, try a liquid feed.
    I soak seaweed and nettles together - stinks, but good for cabbage against caterpillars with the additional advantage of acting as a fertilizer but without the lumpy manure bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks alot

• Advertisement
Advertisement