Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New SSD - Transfer OS?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to stick an SSD into my laptop - main reason being I don't know what to ask "santy" for for Xmas, and I've heard these can be pretty nifty things, so why not?

My question is this - how do get my Windows 7 on my current laptop (laptop is about 3 months old) onto the new SSD when I remove the old HDD?

Can it be done? Is it even legal?

Is there a specific size SSD to get for a laptop

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Des wrote: »
    I would like to stick an SSD into my laptop - main reason being I don't know what to ask "santy" for for Xmas, and I've heard these can be pretty nifty things, so why not?

My question is this - how do get my Windows 7 on my current laptop (laptop is about 3 months old) onto the new SSD when I remove the old HDD?

Can it be done? Is it even legal?

Is there a specific size SSD to get for a laptop

You'll need to do a fresh install of Windows. If your laptop came with a windows DVD use that, otherwise you'll need to find out what version you have and download and burn the iso to a DVD yourself.

Most laptops use 2.5'' drives which is the standard SSD size. You should double check to make sure however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The following should work:
    1. Back up your windows activation using the ABR tool. This allows you to back up your activation so that you don't have to ring Microsoft.
    2. Back up any essential data that you want to keep (or you could just access your old hard drive by buying an enclosure or sticking it into a PC).
    3. Download/borrow a windows install disc (you can do this legally if you find the links, the key/license is what makes the copy yours) - make sure you have the same windows version (going from 32-bit to 64-bit is fine though). You should always check any images that you download match up with the official hashes.
    4. Put in SSD.
    5. Install Windows with blank key.
    6. Install your drivers and Use the ABR tool to restore your activation.

I can give you links to any of the above if you can't find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭batistuta9

how hard is it to install the ssd? could it be easily done if you had no experience of fixing/upgrading computers like say installing new ram

sorry for jumping your thread op & that's a good santa idea

Do you mean in a laptop or a PC?

For a laptop, there's usually a tray that you unscrew and slide out. Then unscrew the hard drive from the tray. Screw on your new one, screw in the tray and you're done. Just make sure that you don't have an old laptop with IDE connectors rather than the newer SATA standard for HDDs and SSDs.
    There's always the whole windows install as well as that and finding all the drivers that you need. This is easy enough but it's a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Monotype wrote: »
    Do you mean in a laptop or a PC?
    For a laptop, there's usually a tray that you unscrew and slide out. Then unscrew the hard drive from the tray. Screw on your new one, screw in the tray and you're done. Just make sure that you don't have an old laptop with IDE connectors rather than the newer SATA standard for HDDs and SSDs.

yeah it's for a laptop & it's only new. apart from what your saying about the screwing of the drives, is it just a case of detaching and reattaching a cable for the drives?

I was reading a thread about the ssd's & their supposed to have a high failure rate, do you know is that still the case?
    Monotype wrote: »
    There's always the whole windows install as well as that and finding all the drivers that you need. This is easy enough but it's a bit of work.

would windows update & the samsung update software not be able to do this for you if the old hd was connected to the laptop as well or would you have to find out what drivers are installed and download them yourself?

• Advertisement

There's two cables - a data cable and a power cable. If the laptop is built so that you slot in the drive, you won't even see the cables - you just slot it in with connector side first.

Yes, failure rates have been high with the Sandforce based drives - that is those branded OCZ, Corsair and a few others (actually most of the drives around are Sandforce). The major problem with these drives has finally been patched in recent firmware so reliability should be a lot higher now. Alternatively, you can go with Crucial's M4 drive which is one of the most reliable ones.

Windows update would handle most of it and you'll be able to find anything you need on the Samsung or the component manufacturer website (e.g., Intel). You'll have to reinstall any programs that you want again. Connecting your old drive won't do much for you unless you want to transfer over your documents/files; programs generally have to be reinstalled. It's not difficult, but it is time consuming. It's still a good idea though as you'll find your laptop faster with the SSD as well as having less bloatware installed by Samsung that you don't need. I advise you to install individual programs and drivers that you need from Samsung rather than any massive suites that will weigh down your system.
    ninite.com can save some time with installing many essential programs in one big install.

Advertisement