Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone think those philadelphia recipes on tv look gross?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Phillie meatball pasta eh no thanks

And the veg and pasta one ends up a pale brown goo.

I've tried philiadelphia on pasta before. IMO the consistency is not what it looks like in the ads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Funnily enough, I saw the meatball one last night for the first time(don't watch very much tv) I thought it sounded lovely, but the end result looked very poor. If it had been chicken it wouldn't have looked so bad, but the dark meatballs coated in pale sauce looked disgusting. I've used cream cheese in sauce and its come out very well, gentle heat is the key to a creamy consistency, if its too hot the cheese split and you get a scrambled egg look to your dinner. Philadelphia is too expensive IMO, so I buy Aldi or Lidl cream cheese and its just as good for a far more reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

shocking recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Their desert recipes on their website are quite good, baked OREOS cheesecake = Savage

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Ha! My housemates and I were just talking about this a few hours ago- one of the lads said that the look of the sausage one turned his stomach whereas I. Thought the veg one looked positively putrid. In both cases the sauce just looks gloopy grey/brow. Very unappetising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I've never seen these, I must not be the targeted audience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

I think they look pretty rank. I use the product for a cheesecake sometimes but couldn't imagine using it as they suggest in the ads. As mentioned already it looks gloopy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I thought I would eat anything untill I saw those ads, the end product always seems to look gross

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

the sauce looks like it was made 3 days ago. I'd sooner have a crisp sandwich !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Alzy wrote: »
    the sauce looks like it was made 3 days ago. I'd sooner have a crisp sandwich !!

Well, there's lunch sorted!

/craving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Meh, I've used phili in recipies, they do a version here specifically for cooking (and another for pouring)
    They are different to the regualr spreads. The problem with the recipies above is that they are just some regualr persons recipie, and imo flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

there's an interactive Philadelphia bus stop just over Leeson st bridge with these "recipes" on it

I think cream cheese is a good desert base, sort of bland and creamy. I like the whipped stuff with chives on crackers and good for cheese balls - mix it with marshmallow creme and good for dipping fruit , I don't really think of it as sauce ingredient. I will have to go check out the US version of that page. I think Philly cream cheese is a Kraft product. I have several of their cookbooks . That meatball recipe did look rather pale and pasty.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have used philly in sauces, i thought it actually tasted nice :o

Haven't seen the ads but I would use philadelphia in cooking. Just had a chicken and leek pie with Philly as the sauce base. Makes a lovely fish pie filling too and is nice with linguini, pancetta and mushrooms, some chicken stock and White wine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Ha ha I was just talking about this the other day. The one with the veg/ philly and penne pasta looks gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Tuc cracker + Philadelphia + smoked Salmon + bitta Thyme = Deeeelicious snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I have been watching those ads in horror yelling at the telly - no no no, don't do it.

I love cream cheese, on a bagel with smoked salmon or without but cooking with it just doesn't do it for me. Don't even use it when I make cheese cake because mascapone is so much more luscious and sweeter naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm the same. I can't cook with it at all. Just never turns out the way I want it to.

I took a look at the Kraft homepage for Philadelphia Cream Cheese and it wasn't much better to look at. Maybe the recipes taste better than they look, but most just look pale and pasty, not very appetizing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

Well I tried the one with roasted vegetables and pasta... so easy to make and tasted gorgeous too ;)

I'm glad you liked it. Did you do anything to give it more eye appeal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

I just had another look at the pic on the philly website. I'm not sure mine even looked as good as that! I used spaghetti instead of penne though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Yeah I like Philly but not those TV recipes meatballs and philly seems wrong I always use a tomato base sauce with mince I always prefer to put chicken or vege dishes with it. Each to their own I guess

I have used it in things, but usually use sour cream in casseroles, and something needs to to camouflage all that white, bread crumbs ? Desserts are good though, like it in all sorts of desserts and flavored on bagels, crackers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has anyone actually tried the recipes shown in the ads yet? Just wondered....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

As a rule, id be extremely dubious of any brand-sponsored recipes

I sort of like brand name recipes . They better taste good cause they've put their reputation on the line. I just have a problem with the way these look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I wouldn't be a fan of creamy type pasta sauces anyway but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they look gross.

Seems like philadelphia are doing a big push to brand themselves as a cooking aid...I just notice a sign in a local coffee shop saying that they use philadelphia in their cooking, I thought that was a bit weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've quite often used it in place of cream in cream based sauces as a low fat substitute and it usually works pretty well, although more recently i've started using the big pots of lidl greek yoghurt instead which is much nicer imho.

Advertisement