Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Eircom Master Splitter

• 05-11-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10

I am a vodafone broadband customer and I need a Eircom master Splitter to solve some broadband issues i have.

I know this because a very helpful eircom engineer tested the line and explained the exact problem to me and the solution. The problem is he can't fix it because he is an eircom engineer and I'm a vodafone customer. Their responsibility is for the line only. Not the box!! He is happy the line is fine.

I offered to buy one from him but he said he couldn't bill me as I didn't have an eircom account to bill me on???

Does anyone know of anywhere else I could get one of these??

I notice posts from a few years ago asking the same question does anyone have any updates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What do you mean by an eircom Master Splitter? I've never heard of such a thing, and it certainly wouldn't be an eircom only object. eircom is just a telecoms operator, they don't make anything. Any piece of equipment needed would be available for and from any ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 Kieran007

An eircom Master is the box eircom terminate their connection to a house in. Basically the first phone point before internal wiring.

For broadband these can be installed with two ports one for broadband and one for phone.

It's that two port box I'm looking for. It is not just a splitter. I'm told by eircom that it isolated the the broadband signal. Therefore any problems with internal phone wiring (in my case in an old house) won't affect the broadband connection.

My friendly eircom engineer identified that my broadband signal is very poor due to internal wiring issues in the house. My choice is to rewire all phones in the house or get one of these master splitters. (that maybe not the technical name)

A DIY filter supplied by vodafone is not the same and wont do the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Any problems with the internal wiring need to be addressed and fixed. A splitter won't get you around that. A DSL filter will just split and filter the voice frequencies from the data ones, it won't fix problems or get rid of noise. The NTU splitter that eircom sometimes use is the same as the plug in splitter. There's a filter on the phone side, and it leaves the DSL side unfiltered.

To check if it is the internal wiring, disconnect it from the main socket (NTU). Then plug your modem in here and check your Internet connection and line stats. If there is no problem then the issue is with the internal wiring. If that's the case then you need to fix the wiring, or leave it disconnected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 Kieran007

Hmmmm... I'm not sure.
    jor el you may be correct, i'm definitely not an expert this is not my field, but the eircom engineer says different.

He says the eircom box with the two ports will isolate the dsl from the fault in the internal wiring. Hence this is why I want one. He also says it is a completely different piece of technology to the diy type plugin "Filter" vodafone supply.

When I say "fault" it works fine for voice so I have no real need to fix it.

Yes when I plug out all internal phone wiring from the eircom NTU I have perfect dsl connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's a few things to mention here.

Firstly, the eircom engineer is wrong. The master socket is their responsibility. However, they're not obliged to fit that particular type of socket and it might take some kicking and screaming to get one fitted unless there's a phone-monitored alarm in place.

Secondly, the filtered socket does indeed isolate all types of problems with internal wiring. It's one of the best things about them and I think at this stage eircom should have them fitted on all new line installs by default. It wouldn't completely remove the effects of a DC short on an extension wire/socket but it would only have a small impact on attenuation in theory.

Thirdly, the item referred to is a splitter for use at the master socket in a house so referring to it as a master socket splitter seems valid to me. As the socket and the wire onwards to the exchange is counted as eircom plant (and they are the USO license incumbent) it is their and no other's job to fit these or make any other kind of modification to the eircom plant network. I'm not sure what mechanism exists for OLOs to get eircom to fit one of these for a customer.

Fourthly, if the socket is a newer (10 years or less I think) type where the faceplate section can be pulled off to leave a single socket with all extensions disconnected, then the filtered faceplate can be swapped in place for the ordinary flatter faceplate without needing eircom linesman intervention. The extension sockets would have to be reconnected to the L1 and L2 terminals on the new filtered faceplate section.

And finally:) If you see an eircom van on the side of a road, pull up and ask the linesman or tech for one. Say you got the phonewatch fitted but you've to pick up a proper broadband splitter socket or suchlike as they were short/left it half done etc. You should get one without any hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Kieran007 wrote: »
    Hmmmm... I'm not sure.
    jor el you may be correct, i'm definitely not an expert this is not my field, but the eircom engineer says different.

He says the eircom box with the two ports will isolate the dsl from the fault in the internal wiring. Hence this is why I want one. He also says it is a completely different piece of technology to the diy type plugin "Filter" vodafone supply.

When I say "fault" it works fine for voice so I have no real need to fix it.

Yes when I plug out all internal phone wiring from the eircom NTU I have perfect dsl connection.

What Eircoms technician was probably referring is a Eircom socket with a DSL Faceplate.

ISPs use to get one from eircom for every connection but I dont think that longer applies...

Advertisement