Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grey hair appearing - leave it or fight it?

• 05-11-2011 2:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    32 years old.
    Getting a lot of grey around the sides particularly. Started noticing it around 25 but it's onyly becoming noticable in photos and whatnot now.

Should I start dying it now before people notice or just leave it?

Looking at guys on TV it doesn't seem men have ever mastered the art of dying their hair properly.

Look at old Marty Whelan, Australian rugby coach Robbie Deans, actor Michael Madsen, load of RTE reporters - these are all men with money in the public eye and still look appalling.

Don't know what to do..still feel too young for grey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I vote leave it!
    A bit of grey can look really well on a man, and a lot of my friends would be of the same opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Leave it, I reckon. I am going grey as well. Don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'd rather look naturally grey than have an awful chestnut colour straight out of a bottle. I'd say leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Leave it! The salt and pepper look on a guy is hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Same age and Im going fairly grey,started similar age to yerself too.I would never in a million years dye my hair,I think blokes that do are very vain and a little bit sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

A true gentleman will go grey gracefully.

I think blokes that do are very vain and a little bit sad.
    Well, I don't know about that - I think people have a right to alter their appearance any way they want to without being judged.

In my opinion, the problem with men dying hair is what the end result actually looks like... It always looks dyed.

Hair is naturally a flecked blend of slightly different colours. Look at it closely in the mirror... You need a professional to replicate this effect in dyed hair, you can't easily do it yourself in the sink.

A totally uniform head colour on a man looks really odd.... especially if he has an old face. On a woman it doesn't feel so odd simply because we are all so accustomed to women who have dyed hair.

Women don't seem to care about grey hair on men anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Skuxx

jayteecork wrote: »
    hi guys,
    32 years old.
    Getting a lot of grey around the sides particularly. Started noticing it around 25 but it's onyly becoming noticable in photos and whatnot now.

Should I start dying it now before people notice or just leave it?

Looking at guys on TV it doesn't seem men have ever mastered the art of dying their hair properly.

Look at old Marty Whelan, Australian rugby coach Robbie Deans, actor Michael Madsen, load of RTE reporters - these are all men with money in the public eye and still look appalling.

Don't know what to do..still feel too young for grey.

I'd leave it if I was you, only 20 myself and the odd bit of grey is beginning to show!! Enough for the lads to slag me about it but not enough that its noticable in photos yet thank fcuk!! Wouldn't bother dying it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Leave it in!

Grey hair isn't too bad really, had a some coming in for a few years now. At least it's better than going bald :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Leave it, grey hair is hot hot hot:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

wouldn't worry about it just leave it. I was going grey when i was 16 and i just left it that way. it adds a bit of distinction to you so all good, look at clooney the women love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Could be worse, you could be going bald.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd be inclined to leave it if I go grey only because I wouldn't be bothered with the maintenance of dying it again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

i definitely say leave it. men can look quiet distinguished with it and dying your hair will never look natural -you would spot it a mile off. you will get far more comments if you dye your hair than if you leave it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Leave it. Started going grey at 15. Based on reading the stainless steel rat in 2000ad, I decided it would look cool! Now 38. Would have cost a fortune in grecian 2000!

Better grey than away....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Leave it and accept it. You've done well to get into your 30's........I'm grey since my early 20's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Deffo leave it. My brother went a step further and after about a year of going a bit grey, he's now bottled it fully grey. I have to say he looks really well. No, i didn't follow him in doing it, as i'm heading in that direction pretty quickly the natural way. You would spot the dyed hair on a man from a mile away, it's soooooooooo obvious, not they grey one though :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

headmaster wrote: »
    Deffo leave it. My brother went a step further and after about a year of going a bit grey, he's now bottled it fully grey. I have to say he looks really well. No, i didn't follow him in doing it, as i'm heading in that direction pretty quickly the natural way. You would spot the dyed hair on a man from a mile away, it's soooooooooo obvious, not they grey one though :confused:

How do you dye your hair grey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Grey dye presumably.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The majority answer seems to be to let it go grey naturally OP.
    I'd think along those lines too.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Panthro wrote: »
    The majority answer seems to be to let it go grey naturally OP.
    I'd think along those lines too.

I concur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

when the chin beard starts turning grey it looks good if neatly trimmed. as it happens my hair has grey streaks and only 9 months ago my beard started going grey but hey man it looks ok i have to say. A bit of flash i call it.

yeah, dyeing the hair with Mr Grecian 2000 is a waste of time, let the natural take precedence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Noticed grey hair no. 1 at about 19.

Now having the hair cut short doesn't even work anymore. And i don't care! :D

My friends and family have been at me to dye my hair for years, but feck that, I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Here's the opposite of your problem. In my family we don't do grey. I'm female in my 40's and have not got one grey hair, which is fantastic for me. My brothers however have a bigger problem with it.
    As they have aged and gotten laughter lines , they have no grey hair so from the back they look in their 20's but when they turn around there is a definite Dickie Rock thing going on, they hate it!!!

I think salt and pepper on a guy is very attractive, it's classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I agree with Skyking. If you want to dye it, go ahead and you shouldn't be embarrassed about it. Try to go with a colour a little lighter than your natural (pre-grey) colour - that way it will look more natural and any stray greys won't stand out so much. However, you're all lucky in that you can go grey and people won't think you're haggard and ugly. It's also pretty common to go grey at that age so nobody will bat an eyelid (if you're a man :mad:). It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to how women see ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I would leave it. It's a distinguished, mature look.

And how should the flesh not quail, that span for span
    Is mutilated more? In slow distaste
    I fold my towel with what grace I can,
    Not young, and not renewable, but man.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jayteecork wrote: »
    How do you dye your hair grey?
    Become a mod.

I'm starting to grey a tiny bit but I'm not too bothered, though having a bit of a babyface with grey hair may look odd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

My vote would be to leave it. But if you choose not to, make it an obvious dye, say blond streaked. The grey is still there but not as visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

I would leave it .. em well I did. I noticed the odd grey in my mid-twenties and now have grey at the side creeping around evermore.

It's usually noticeable when a guy dyes his hair and I never think it looks good. Plus you will look distinguished !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

endacl wrote: »
    Leave it. Started going grey at 15. Based on reading the stainless steel rat in 2000ad, I decided it would look cool! Now 38. Would have cost a fortune in grecian 2000!

Better grey than away....

I noticed when I was about 15, sides are almost completely grey now and about half and half on top. I'm 25 and never really thought about dying it. Once I keep it short it looks grand and like the above I'd rather a full head of grey than no hair at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I would leave it . If you dyed it now grand but in 10/15 years time it would look stupid . I know a bloke in he's mid 50s who dyes he's hair brown he thinks no one knows but he looks a right fool .

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

MOVE AWAY FROM THE DYE BOTTLE!!!

Seriously there's nothing worse than a dye job.Broke up with an ex who was going slightly grey(no,it wasn't the reason we broke up), met him a few months later and he looked ridiculous with his bottle hair colour.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

I'd say leave it, grey is sexy ;)

I move for a grey is sexy poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Grey is definitely sexy. It looks like you've lived and has a hint of mischief.

If you do decide to dye it, get it done professionally rather than at home eith a box of colour, that way it might look more natural.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Another option not yet mentioned is to shave it all off hence leaving no hairs grey or otherwise. It doesn't look odd that way and is quite common but depends on what kind of shaped head you have as to whether it suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm 28 and going a bit grey.

I wouldn't do dye as it's a bit fake but I do cut my hair a bit shorter now than I normally would have, helps make it less noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I'm 29 and people have started to notice my grey hair, there's not much it's just at the side and because i have fair hair you can't really tell too much.
    But i like it anyway, as long as i have hair it can be whatever colour it likes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Better to go grey than bald imo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Mines rapidly going grey, and it makes me look hotter then ever.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

23 and going grey, spotted my first one aged 16 but only began to become any way noticeable last year.. Its not that noticeable most of the time as I keep my hair short, but when it grows a bit you can notice a lot of grey hairs on the side of my head. Not a chance of me dying it. Far too much effort to dye my hair for the rest of my life, and I don't care about going grey. In fact I'm quite looking forward to becoming a silver fox ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭zyxwvu

Better to go grey than bald imo.

No opinion about it, that's fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Grey hair looks good on even a youngish guy.

Dyed hair on a man just looks wrong. Especially the over 40's, unless you think the Berlousconi look is hot :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

Could be worse, you could be going bald.
    Or both (like me) so I keep it really tight (zero all over). Neither are noticeable if I keep it that way but once its gets a bit of growth, both the grey and the bald patch show, so I get it trimmed every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Leave it! The salt and pepper look on a guy is hot.

am i the only one who doesnt like grey hair on a guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Stick with the grey dude..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

booboo88 wrote: »
    am i the only one who doesnt like grey hair on a guy?

Yea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

bryaner wrote: »
    Yea.

toy boy it is then

Advertisement