Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no soakage in garden

Options
  • 05-11-2011 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

My back lawn seems to have little or no soakage. To walk to shed now creates a muddy mess and I can feel the water on top of grass squelching under my feet. I thought I would replace grass with this effect

What should I do to create soakage before that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Better to first tackle the cause before the symptoms. Most likely you'll need to excavate and remedy/improve site drainage before installing a permeable membrane under an ornamental pebble finish.

But other options may apply.

Can you post pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

How big of a garden is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

cronin_j wrote: »
    How big of a garden is it?
    90 square m
    but i only wanbt to change a bout a third as that is where the shed is. I want to get to shed in wet without getting muddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

can I recommend these.

Great for Rugby too. :)

Eleganza wrote: »
    can I recommend these.

Great for Rugby too. :)
    look like a rugby pitch outside the shed where i was standing getting stuff out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My back garden suffers a mild slope and the deep shadow of a shed on the southern side so the south west corner is in shade nearly all year with a soggy result, forking it and laying down a stepping stone (only need the one) has been my solution, its not something that'll ever be properly fixed or not by me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

If it's a recent thing you've noticed I suspect it is due to the fact we have had inordinately heavy rainfall with very little evaporation on the dry days. I've lived in my current house for many years and have never had a problem with soakage until this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rain doesn't fall like it used to here, instead of many soft days its now nothing or a downpour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

mike65 wrote: »
    My back garden suffers a mild slope and the deep shadow of a shed on the southern side so the south west corner is in shade nearly all year with a soggy result, forking it and laying down a stepping stone (only need the one) has been my solution, its not something that'll ever be properly fixed or not by me anyway.

+1 on the stepping stones/paving slabs!

No muck, no mess!

Better to first tackle the cause before the symptoms. Most likely you'll need to excavate and remedy/improve site drainage before installing a permeable membrane under an ornamental pebble finish.

But other options may apply.

Can you post pics?
    Not sure if the pic really show it. There would be water on top of where the muds is at the shed door. Yesterday I had to take anything i was taking out of shed to the cement pathnear house.

If i put the ornamental pebble i will have water of the pebble? What is the permeable membrane for , grass supression?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi ansi,here is a little job i done about 2 months ago;i dug out about 12 in of clay like a french drain,filled it with half in round stones,they cost me about 20 e a ton:Dpondfdigger:D

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi ansi,here is a little job i done about 2 months ago;i dug out about 12 in of clay like a french drain,filled it with half in round stones,they cost me about 20 e a ton:Dpondfdigger:D
    That is lovely well done. But for me would the water just rest on top of the stone? how many ton did you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi ansi,here is a video of a french drain,it might help you:Dponddigger:Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UfIgbadQXE&feature=related

Advertisement