Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - Oven not holding heat - should I ask landlord to replace?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Moved into an apartment last march. The apartment is great in every aspect except for the electric oven (built-in; the hob is a separate gas hob).

It doesn't keep in heat very well which results in things getting burnt because it ends up working like a grill as the elements keep heating up in order to try and keep the temperature in the oven hot enough.

This is costing us a lot in electricity and also means that things don't cook properly as it takes nearly double the time for things to cook and it also means that things tend to burn at the top too.

Because of the extra electricity costs I am incurring (along with the annoyance of not being able to cook things properly in oven) I am thinking it might be cheaper for me to replace the oven with a 200-300 euro one but it doesn't make sense for me to replace the landlord's oven.

Is this enough wrong so that the landlord should replace the oven? Should I offer the landlord to go halves on a oven or something like that or should I just fight for the landlord to replace the existing one?

The current one is probably at least 6/7 years old and looks like a cheap powerpoint one.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is the landlord's responsibility. I imagine its down to a faulty thermostat.

Either the thermostat gets replaced or the oven does.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0534.html
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/si/0462.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Don't just phone or text the landlord about the problem. Put it in writing (keep a copy), stating the problem and that it should be repaired/replaced within 14 days.

Failure by the landlord to comply may be a breach of the landlord's obligations and therefore breaking the terms of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

As stated send it in writing but it doesn't look like you told the LL this yet. It is probably the thermostat and pretty cheap to repair. If it wasn't keeping heat in the counters all around it would be getting very hot.

I doubt you will really notice much difference in your electricity bill once it is fixed. A cooker tends to last quite a long time as most parts are replaceable if they fail.

Advertisement