Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Clothing collections for charity

Options
  • 05-11-2011 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Is anyone sick of this ongoing scam whereby bogus charities collect clothes only to sell them in eastern europe?

Anybody puzzled why gardai,revenue,social welfare and government dont take decisive action against these organised gangs?...and lets be honest its Roma gangs that have this dodgy scheme sown up.

My own thoughts are that gardai , social welfare etc are afraid of these gangs and anyone that isnt afraid of them is one of these immigrant lovers who cant possibly imagine that any of these Romas would do anything wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I can't think of any laws that are been broken.

If you read the leaflets carefully they try to look like charities , but don't actually claim to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

They aren't breaking any laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I don't have any problem giving away clothes I no longer need anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dog with a bone

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I don't have any problem giving away clothes I no longer need anymore.

Well why dont you give them to a genuine charity instead of these Roma vermin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The residents of Belfast knew how to deal with this and ran them out of town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

mikemac wrote: »
    The residents of Belfast knew how to deal with this and ran them out of town

.... which along with other incidents went some way towards Belfast being dubbed '' Racism Capital of Europe '' .

I have noticed this a lot too in my area the past year or so, some just post the stickers and don't even have the decency to supply a bag....

A couple of them gave a phone number of the 'charity' or 'organisation', and of course both of them turned out to be non-existant out-of-service numbers when I tried them !!

The best way to deal with them is to ignore them, I just fill my bags with no-longer wanted stuff - clothing books CDs etc. and bring them down to the genuine charity shops -SVP, Oxfam, Gorta, Irish cancer society etc. At least you know they're being donated to a good cause.

"I don't have any problem giving away clothes I no longer need anymore." -Well good for you, but if some crowd is making money out of it might be no harm to give to a give to a deserving charity or even one of those clothing banks in the recycling centre instead of lining the pockets of these people.

Hit these rogues where it hurts - if you're sick of them, just don't leave anything out for them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

We had an incident recently where these really suspicious guys were sitting in a car in our terrace - anyway someone rang the guards and they came down and searched the car and arrested the 3 burly looking guys - one of which took off a bullet-proof vest. It worked out the were 'minders' for the guys collecting the 'charity' bags. One of my neighbours was talking to one of the guards after and said there was weapons in the car too. Its serious business by all accounts and it funds some of the biggest criminal gangs in the country :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 selsun

A couple of them gave a phone number of the 'charity' or 'organisation', and of course both of them turned out to be non-existant out-of-service numbers when I tried them !!

Hit these rogues where it hurts - if you're sick of them, just don't leave anything out for them.;)

I looked-up for the company number provided on recent leaflet. Result: company dissolved in 2001. They use fake details.

It also states that this collection is approved by 'your local council'. Yeah right..

They're nothing but gangs..

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

Those leaflets drive me wrong i get one in my door nerly every day!! and whats worse is they stat at at 6 in the morning and my letter box is so noisy that it wakes me:mad::mad::mad:

My neighbour even put a sign on his window telling them not to put these leaflets/stickers in his letterbox!! wish i was brazen enough to do it too:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

MagicSean wrote: »
    They aren't breaking any laws.

So, if I print up flyers claiming I am a charity, and that the council has authorised me to operate, I can go around collecting any articles people want to give me? I am not breaking any laws?

Sorry, but you HAVE to be wrong.

Have to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

In many cases, it wouldn't be a huge stretch of imagination to have them prosecuted for fraud. A lot of these stickers have things like a bogus licensed operator number or charity number printed on them somewhere.

So, if I print up flyers claiming I am a charity, and that the council has authorised me to operate, I can go around collecting any articles people want to give me? I am not breaking any laws?

Have to be!
    seagull wrote: »
    In many cases, it wouldn't be a huge stretch of imagination to have them prosecuted for fraud. A lot of these stickers have things like a bogus licensed operator number or charity number printed on them somewhere.

In order for fraud to be committed there has to be an injured party. In this case there is none. The charity doesn't lose out because they don't actually do this collecting anyway. The person who donates the clothing doesn't lose out because they are throwing out the items.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Have to be!

It is an offence for an unregistered charity to operate advertisements or collections in Ireland.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0006/sec0041.html#sec41

• Registered Users Posts: 14 selsun

I started collecting those leaflets :)

If you wan't you can add yours in the format below (copy existing ones adding yours at the bottom).

Here are the details (company name/number checked on cro.ie)

COMPANY NUMBER / NAME / Ph# / WWW or EMAIL

378973 (valid) / Second Hand Rose / 040442813 & 0857269882 / secondhandrose.ie (invalid)

370351 (valid) / NO_NAME / NO_PH# / clothescollection@gmail.com

472169 (valid) / New Life Clothing / NO_PH# / newlifeclothing.org (suspended)

287899 (invalid - dissolved in 2000) / NO_NAME / 0862147000 & 0871493504 / NO_WWW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

selsun wrote: »
    I started collecting those leaflets :)

If you wan't you can add yours in the format below (copy existing ones adding yours at the bottom).

Here are the details (company name/number checked on cro.ie)

COMPANY NUMBER / NAME / Ph# / WWW or EMAIL

378973 (valid) / Second Hand Rose / 040442813 & 0857269882 / secondhandrose.ie (invalid)

370351 (valid) / NO_NAME / NO_PH# / clothescollection@gmail.com

472169 (valid) / New Life Clothing / NO_PH# / newlifeclothing.org (suspended)

287899 (invalid - dissolved in 2000) / NO_NAME / 0862147000 & 0871493504 / NO_WWW
    why do you say new life clothing are suspended?
    Are they
    http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=472169&type=C

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It is an offence for an unregistered charity to operate advertisements or collections in Ireland.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0006/sec0041.html#sec41

Thanks for that. I've been having a look at it and it would seem the powers of investigation are solely in the hands of the Charities Regulatory Body.

Garda powers are limited to those under Section 95

The Act of 1962 is amended by the insertion of the following section:

“20A.— (1) A member of the Garda Síochána may take (if necessary by force) from a person making a non-cash collection all documents and other articles (including all badges, emblems and other tokens) in his possession for the purposes of, or in connection with the non-cash collection if—

(a) a non-cash collection permit has not been granted in respect of the holding of the non-cash collection,

(b) upon a demand being duly made of the person in the course of the non-cash collection by the member to produce his collector’s authorisation, the person refuses or fails to so do or refuses or fails, on the production of the authorisation, to allow the member to read it, or

(c) upon a demand being duly made of the person in the course of the non-cash collection by the member to give his name and address, the person refuses or fails to so do or gives a name or address that the member knows or reasonably believes to be false or misleading.

(2) Articles and money taken from a collector under this section shall be forfeited to the Minister and may be disposed of by the Minister as he considers appropriate.”.

This is news to me. Have to find out if it's been enacted yet.

Thanks for that. I've been having a look at it and it would seem the powers of investigation are solely in the hands of the Charities Regulatory Body.

Garda powers are limited to those under Section 95

The Act of 1962 is amended by the insertion of the following section:

“20A.— (1) A member of the Garda Síochána may take (if necessary by force) from a person making a non-cash collection all documents and other articles (including all badges, emblems and other tokens) in his possession for the purposes of, or in connection with the non-cash collection if—

(a) a non-cash collection permit has not been granted in respect of the holding of the non-cash collection,

(b) upon a demand being duly made of the person in the course of the non-cash collection by the member to produce his collector’s authorisation, the person refuses or fails to so do or refuses or fails, on the production of the authorisation, to allow the member to read it, or

(c) upon a demand being duly made of the person in the course of the non-cash collection by the member to give his name and address, the person refuses or fails to so do or gives a name or address that the member knows or reasonably believes to be false or misleading.

(2) Articles and money taken from a collector under this section shall be forfeited to the Minister and may be disposed of by the Minister as he considers appropriate.”.

This is news to me. Have to find out if it's been enacted yet.
    i was told before they do not need authorisation to collect clothes in the same way they need a waste collection permit for waste. cannot recall who told me but itwas official

ANSI wrote: »
    i was told before they do not need authorisation to collect clothes in the same way they need a waste collection permit for waste. cannot recall who told me but itwas official

The Charities Act changes that but it doesn't appear to be enacted yet for some stupid reason.

The Charities Act changes that but it doesn't appear to be enacted yet for some stupid reason.
    can the be done for litter for leaving flyers in gate that blows around? I have areg number of one of their vans is there anything i can do with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are deep **** for failing to file accounts.

They are deep **** for failing to file accounts.
    who to report them to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Those leaflets drive me wrong i get one in my door nerly every day!! and whats worse is they stat at at 6 in the morning and my letter box is so noisy that it wakes me:mad::mad::mad:

My neighbour even put a sign on his window telling them not to put these leaflets/stickers in his letterbox!! wish i was brazen enough to do it too:(

tell him to put up that sign again... only have it say no junk mail in romanian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Worztron

Can anyone think of a good use for those leaflet stickers? I'd rather use them than create more garbage.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Always handy as firelighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I use them to seal my bin bags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Have to be!
    seagull wrote: »

In order for fraud to be committed there has to be an injured party. In this case there is none. The charity doesn't lose out because they don't actually do this collecting anyway. The person who donates the clothing doesn't lose out because they are throwing out the items.
    what about Section 6 of The Theft Act?

Advertisement