Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single mother what should i do?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i think this is the right forum. i im pregnant the father does nt want to know at all.do i have the right to ask for child support? or should i just leave him alone if he wants noting to do with the child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Totally depends on what kind of person he is. If he has any morals at all he would offer. But there are parents out there that are capable of just switching off. :mad: IMO it should be made law that a father should pay for a child he has fathered.

BUT IMO if the father has said he doesnt want anything to do with the child it just shows what kind of man he is. If i were you I would not ask him for a penny (I did this) But if you think/feel that he would step up finanically then ask im but personally I wouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You will need to have him proved the father first before you can consider child support. There is also a lot of other things involved like age etc. This is a long process. I am sure someone will be along to explain it shortly.

The law in this country assumes that if a couple is married then the husband is the father. However if not then he must go along when the child is registered. I imagine if he wants nothing to do this is going to be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I'm presuming that you are not married. As Joey the lips said above if you are married then your husband is automatically presumed to be the childs father.

You are entitled to child support from the father once the baby is born. You should approach him stating that you want him to contribute towards the child. If he agrees then you can organise a set amount for him to pay each week/month between yourselves.

If he does not agree then you will have to take him to court. You will have to prove that he is the biological father by way of a DNA test. He will then be court ordered to pay maintenence for the child. The amount can vary a lot going on his earnings/if he is on SW etc.

There is some good information on the citizens advice website here

Either way if you are parenting alone then you would be entitled to apply for One parent family allowance. More information here

Advertisement