Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decent clarifying shampoo?

• 05-11-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

Lately my hair is only lasting a day before getting really greasy looking. I'd usually get 2 days, maybe 3 out of one wash so this is pretty annoying!

I bought a shampoo/conditioner from the Naked range in Boots during the week to help with this, I saw it recommended on a thread here before. After washing once (and rinsing it out REALLY WELL) there was a small greasy patch on one side of my head! I washed it again over the sink with shampoo but the grease remained :(

That was on Wednesday, I've washed my hair twice since (once with Naked, once with my usual Tresemme) and the greasy patch remains. I can cover it over with the rest of my hair but it feels disgusting and makes me very self-conscious; I'm usually really proud of my hair!

If anyone can recommend a better clarifying shampoo, or a treatment in a salon maybe, I'd appreciate it. I can continue using the Naked shampoo to see if the situation improves but I don't like how it makes my hair feel in general, and obviously the greasy patch is annoying me!

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Fairy liquid to strip out the nasty bit, but you do need to deep condition after. Did you use any new products lately? I had a similar reaction to a serum, tho every time I washed my hair it got worse (as it spread) until I turned to the Fairy liquid... sometimes extreme measures are required.

Other than that I liked both the Neutrogena and Umberto Gianni clarifying shampoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

No new products, I did dye my hair a few months ago but that's the only difference. The ends of my hair are a bit dry so I'm assuming this is being caused by a build-up of conditioner I use to combat that.

I'm just confused as to why there's one specific area that stays greasy after washing..... but I'll try the fairy liquid and see what happens.

Hmm. So I tried the fairy liquid, but perhaps I didn't use enough as the greasiness remains. It's much less severe, which is great, but I think the area around the crown is a little greasy now too! So perhaps it's spread like what happened to you, lainey? I'll try again in the morning.

I also used Aussie's 3 minute miracle as a deep conditioner; the rest of my hair feels lovely and smells yummy :) So that's a little consolation!

It took me a couple of washes to shift it... actually there was a second problem, years later, some issue with a Johnsons Shower gel, again two days to clear it out. If you've broken down the core grease lump you're on the right track tho

Thanks, that's really reassuring! It might sound silly, but my hair usually gets compliments for it's shine and condition so this is getting kind of depressing :o Hopefully tomorrow it'll be sorted!

• Advertisement

Oh I know - the first time I got my hair cut just before Christmas in a new salon and it became this greasy mess, went back into them crying after shampooing my hair at home - I kid you not - 24 times in 48 hours. Back to salon, they pulled out the Fairy from under the sink. And I got a voucher, which I do think I used, just screamed NOOOOO when they suggested product :) It's devastating, nothing makes you feel dirty like greasy hair even when you are sparkly clean

Success!! Hair is back to it's formerly shiny glory :D Thanks lainey, really appreciate the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

Probably dont need to know now, but I used to have the Pantene Clarifying shampoo and that was brilliant! Left my hair really soft and shiny. and smelled fab! Its since run out though and I cant seem to be able to find it anywhere. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

TheJinMu wrote: »
    Probably dont need to know now, but I used to have the Pantene Clarifying shampoo and that was brilliant! Left my hair really soft and shiny. and smelled fab! Its since run out though and I cant seem to be able to find it anywhere. :-(

Saw this is Tesco today, was having a nosey at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

Bit on the pricey side was it? And do you mind me asking which Tesco?

• Advertisement

I considered the Pantene one alright, but Boots only had the Naked one that day. I'll keep using it for maintainence but I'm very open to suggestions about other products! Fairy liquid was very much a last resort ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

TheJinMu wrote: »
    Bit on the pricey side was it? And do you mind me asking which Tesco?

I didn't note the price but I can't imagine it was too expensive (being the the supermarket and all). If was in the giant Tesco in Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I found the Naked shampoo made my hair greasy - didn't solve the problem at all.
    I would recommend Pantene Clarifying Shampoo - it may be pricey but its worth it. I find it excellent.
    There are some shampoos I can't use at all - they just make my hair a grease ball. Tresemme and Garnier Fructis seem particularly bad for this.
    My hairdresser recommended a shampoo before when the problem was very bad (I also suffer from dry scalp when I am stressed) which was very good, but it was 20 something euro so wouldn't buy it again.
    When my hair gets very greasy I have to stop using the GHD as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

ive always found the Aussie Mega instant shampoo is great for getting your hair really clean

cee_jay wrote: »
    I found the Naked shampoo made my hair greasy - didn't solve the problem at all.
    I would recommend Pantene Clarifying Shampoo - it may be pricey but its worth it. I find it excellent.
    There are some shampoos I can't use at all - they just make my hair a grease ball. Tresemme and Garnier Fructis seem particularly bad for this.

Garnier Fructis has the same effect on me, but Tresemme's volumising shampoo is great! Tbh I think I'll get rid of the Naked one; I've used it once since and it's only ok, but I hate the smell of it! Maybe Pantene is the way to go...

ive always found the Aussie Mega instant shampoo is great for getting your hair really clean

Scratch my last post! Boots still don't have that Pantene one in stock so I picked up Aussie Mega shampoo and gave it a go this morning. My hair feels and looks fantastic! My only regret is not searching a bit more for the conditioner to go with it, but I have a lovely Kerastase one to keep me going until Boots re-stock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Pantane Clarifying shampoo is €4.99 in Tesco but its out of stock as all Pantane hair products are comming back in a different bottle.

I have the same problem, I only get high-lights about twice a year but when I do my hair gets greasy. I would be doing well to get past 36 hrs without dry shampoo or a wash.

I use Tresemme Deep cleansing shampoo:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

I get about 6 months out of a bottle.

or

Revlon Shampoo from Salon supplies:

revlon-shampoo-1.jpg

With both of these, after using them every day for about 4 days I can get 2 days from a wash. I use the spray conditioner from the Revlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Redken cleansing cream is brilliant.

http://www.feelunique.com/p/Redken-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-300ml

Seems expensive but as with all Redken shampoos you only need a tiny bit to get a good lather.

Advertisement