Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF Nvidia!

Options
  • 05-11-2011 4:50pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I was having problems getting games to use my graphics card instead of my i5's, so I did some searching, and found this.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...c=201764&st=20

WTF? What does that all that ranting even mean? What does Optimus do? Force the use of the processors if they have Sandy Bridge? I'm very confused. I have the card that many are having problems with (2GB Geforce GT 555M). Are Nvidia doing anything about it? I'm an Nvidia fanboy usually, but this is shaking my faith. Anyone clued in on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Andy!! wrote: »
    I'm an Nvidia fanboy usually, but this is shaking my faith.
    Let me knock out that last brick for you:

Not only were some of Nvidia's now-legacy GPUs defective, which would have been understandable - **** happens - but nvidia Lied about the whole thing, tried to deny it for months until finally coming out and basically saying "Uhm oh yeah btw we knew all along that all of these sucked but we sold them anyway".

Then they tried to smooth over the issue by offering consumers piece of **** replacement laptops and repair work.

The original class action is long since settled, but a new class action is in the works for customers that accepted the cheaper replacement units.

And that's why nvidia has not yet received an additional dime from me in the last 4 years. The only thing I still own from them is my original laptop which I got a complete motherboard replacement on. It has long since been retired for anything other than streaming video and checking emails. Though I am sort of upset I missed the filing deadline, I almost would have preferred that ASUS tablet netbook.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/nvidia,defective

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Regarding my particular problem, I'm having trouble getting Shogun 2 to use my Nvidia card instead of my sandy bridge i5, whats that about? How do I fix this?

How do I fix this?
    I would say with an HD6850 but you're pretty SOL with a laptop GPU.

Wait for nvidia to come up with a fix, if they can ever be bothered.

Overheal wrote: »
    I would say with an HD6850 but you're pretty SOL with a laptop GPU.

Wait for nvidia to come up with a fix, if they can ever be bothered.

Whats a HD6850?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Whats a HD6850?

Ati my friend, the new GOD.

Whats a HD6850?
    An AMD/ATI Graphics card. If you're in your return policy window you could look for a laptop with a mobile HD x800 series card (a 4800, 5800, or 6800 series would match or beat the 555M) Or a 700 series card with GDDR5.

Ati my friend, the new GOD.

Oh so you meant WITHOUT an etc. ;)

I don't know, I am a massive fanboy :P these things come and go in cycles though don't they, popularity is always shifting. I heard ATi doesnt play nice with 3D programs though, which would be a big concern for me...

Surely there must be a way to get Shogun 2 to use my graphics card... I mean... thats like saying there should be a way to get my laptop to turn on when I press the power button... right?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have to agree with the above, forget the green team. The only downside to ATI is they *sometimes* have driver issues(11.8 **** bricks for me) but its very simple to just find out which revision is stable, install that and profit.

When you talk about 3D programs, what specifically are you talking about? nVidia have physX which works with all of five games, and then there's CUDA, but thats something I've never really got to as I never had the $$.

PhysX is scandalous anyway. In just about every game it's featured in the abilities offered could easily be handled by the processor or existing GPU, but it's only encoded in such a way as to run natively on a physics chip. It was a nice idea originally until it was swallowed up and bastardized into a cheap gimmick. And the concept was really a bit before multithreading took off, which was back in an age when it made sense to buy Sound Cards and things.

• Advertisement

Jeebus, never thought Id see the day where Nvidia fell behind! :( I'm going to have to look into this...

As far as 3D programs, I'm talking about Autodesk Maya and the like, 3D packages that game art etc. is actually made in. Apparently Maya aint none too friendly with ATi cards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    An AMD/ATI Graphics card. If you're in your return policy window you could look for a laptop with a mobile HD x800 series card (a 4800, 5800, or 6800 series would match or beat the 555M) Or a 700 series card with GDDR5.

ATI's graphics switching technology is inferior to nVidia's optimus (which is what is causing the problem). Switching to ATI is only going to cause him more headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Jeebus, never thought Id see the day where Nvidia fell behind! :( I'm going to have to look into this...

As far as 3D programs, I'm talking about Autodesk Maya and the like, 3D packages that game art etc. is actually made in. Apparently Maya aint none too friendly with ATi cards.

Ever since the 4000's (2008) came out ATI pulled ahead (price/performance)

ATI really widened the gap with the 5000 series with only really one card from Nvidia hitting back (the 460 GTX)

Things are a little closer now but I still give ATI the lead. Good cards on both sides but ATI fill more gaps.

Obviously brand recognition helps Nvidia sell a truckload of cards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ATI since 9800s and the Nvidia nv_loop ****e

No issues since.

ATI's graphics switching technology is inferior to nVidia's optimus (which is what is causing the problem). Switching to ATI is only going to cause him more headaches.
    I am definitely behind the curve on the switchable/hybrid graphics so I'd defer to you

I always HATED ATI, any PC or laptop I had with an ATI GPU always disappointed me somewhere, mostly with driver issues or image quality. I got a Dell Studio 1737 with a HD3650 at one point, as I was concerned about the faulty GeForce 8s, but regretted it almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My MBP's 8600m GT crapped itself one day.

Being an Apple, I got a brand-new logic board fitted for FREE.
    Still... it could happen again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Sheesh, Really helpful guys. :rolleyes:

Here is one thread that offers some hope:
    http://forums.techarena.in/monitor-video-cards/1435731.htm
    It looks horribly translated tho.
    I in addition have an Acer Aspire 5742G by means of a GT540M. I fixed it by comprehensive accident when I was changing the drivers and config files to acquire F1 2011 working with smoothly. I did so by installing the innovative Intel HD drivers first, originate here (acquire the 32 bit if you necessitate to). I then downloaded Nvidia drivers 280.26. The installation indicate with the intention of it did not install appropriately. On the other hand I rebooted, and then my laptop rebooted a subsequent time. Subsequent to facilitate I fired ahead and added my games on the Nvidia control panel.

And some other workarounds here:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/20115-STW2-and-Nvidia-Optimus-GPU-s-3-workarounds-solutions

Perhaps a silly suggestion but could you add a calc or something light to the Optimus whitelist and run that application when you fire up the game?

Lifeline! :D

I'm returning the laptop today anyway, the clerk told me it was a 4 core i5 and its only a dual core, so I'm gonna try and get a full refund and look for a new laptop online, there are no decents shops for buying gaming pcs in dublin!

5uspect wrote: »
    Sheesh, Really helpful guys. :rolleyes:

Here is one thread that offers some hope:
    http://forums.techarena.in/monitor-video-cards/1435731.htm
    It looks horribly translated tho.

And some other workarounds here:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/20115-STW2-and-Nvidia-Optimus-GPU-s-3-workarounds-solutions

Perhaps a silly suggestion but could you add a calc or something light to the Optimus whitelist and run that application when you fire up the game?

Cheers mate, yeah I had a poke around Shogun 2's forum and found a way to get it to use my card, but still no DX11 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you are getting a new laptop then take a look at the Samsung series 7. It's pricey at 1150 euros for the quad core one with dedicated card but it is awesome. You won't be able to get it for a few weeks though.

Lifeline! :D

I'm returning the laptop today anyway, the clerk told me it was a 4 core i5 and its only a dual core, so I'm gonna try and get a full refund and look for a new laptop online, there are no decents shops for buying gaming pcs in dublin!
    .. facepalm moment?.....The i5 is, Physically speaking, only a Dualcore Anyway.

If you open up task manager and look at the Performance Tab you will see 4 operating cores regardless. It's called hyperthreading and allows each core to handle 2 threads each, for a total of 4 threads, or 4 'logical' cores. The only Quad is the Quad i7, which handles 8 threads; that is 4 physical cores, and 8 logical cores.

And I work in sales believe me I used to explain this at the point of sale but have since given up on it: ultimately it doesn't make one flying bit of difference. It's much simpler to explain that it is a quadcore than always having to run through the hyperthreading shpiel.

Yes, I was well aware of all that (apart from the fact that i5's only come in dual core flavour. I thought they came in both dual and quad?)

I'm now deciding on whether to go with a Dell XPS 15, or a 3D capable XPS 17... I know Dell don't have a terribly good rep but there are so few places that sell decent laptops these days!

Yes, I was well aware of all that (apart from the fact that i5's only come in dual core flavour. I thought they came in both dual and quad?)
    The original Lynnfield 45nm i5s were Quads, but did not perform hyperthreading. They are one-upped by their Clarkdare and Sandybridge dualcore descendants, which do hyperthread. I don't think the Lynnfields ever saw the inside of a laptop though: the only i5 mobile processors were and are all dual cores and all hyperthread.

Interesting :) Intel really screwed the pooch with the naming conventions on these processors (for consumers anyway...) apparently an i5 is better than an i7 for games, surely i3 should be crap/netbook, i5 should be medium spec and i7 should be the best! But naw, its more complicated than that :P

Advertisement