Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhead Power Cable for Shed

Options
  • 05-11-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I want to run an overhead cable from my house to my shed - the cable will be some 12 feet off the ground and a 5 metre clear span. I just want to operate 2 no 60 watt bulbs and also fit a socket in the wall - charge the lawnmower and run a power tool occasionally.

So what type of cable do I need to use ? The maximum load will be 2 kw. The cable will be some 12m long, overall. That 5m clear span will be exposed to the weather.

Do I need SWA cable? Do I need special brackets at each end ? What mm2 cable do I need ?

Thanks for any advice, in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

2.5 swa off a radial circuit will prob do that

if you're sure that's all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Thank you for that. What is the next bigger size of SWA cable (bigger than 2.5) ?

If there was not a massive difference in cost, I might go a slightly heavier cable - mechanical strength, if nothing else.

- Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭086lavey

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Thank you for that. What is the next bigger size of SWA cable (bigger than 2.5) ?

If there was not a massive difference in cost, I might go a slightly heavier cable - mechanical strength, if nothing else.

- Thanks
    6sq swa:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

think 3x4 swa is also available

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Would not just run a catenary wire and cable tie MYMJ to it? I think it would be a better job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i think swa is better
    3*4 is next size up

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Job done. Lights and socket operational.

2.5 swa used.

Thanks for all your help, in particular M cebee. Take a bow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help, in particular M cebee. Take a bow!

A dickie bow?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

M cebee wrote: »
    i think swa is better
    3*4 is next size up

Why do you think swa is better out of curiosity?

I was under the impression it was only meant for UG applications??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

heffo500 wrote: »
    Would not just run a catenary wire and cable tie MYMJ to it? I think it would be a better job.

NYMJ is not suitable for outdoor use unless shielded from the sun. Although it is more resistant to UV than T & E it will beak down.
    I was under the impression it was only meant for UG applications??
    No. On large industrial installations in Ireland SWA is used extensively for everything from GS, lighting, motors, mains and sub mains distribution to generators. The project I am working on now over 90% of all mains cabling is SWA with loads from less than 10W to greater than 300kW.

SWA is designed for outdoor use and offers superior mechanical protection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Carrying 300kw wouldnt tell us its certainly a big cable, except we know its an swa connected to 400v.

Advertisement