Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes for labour ward

• 05-11-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm just packing my hospital bag (due in about 5 weeks) and am wondering what clothes to pack for the labour ward. Was thinking about a dark nightgown but can't find any front opening ones. Any ideas where I can find those?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

If you're packing a seperate bag for labour & post delivery (which I'd highly recommend) I wouldn't worry about a nightdress-type thing for the labour bag. I wore a short nightdress but found it awkward b/c I was constantly bending & kneeling over during the contractions. If you hope to have an active early labour (ie: no epi, etc) then I'd suggest a loose shirt & shorts (boxers maybe?) That would give you the freedom to be active w/o worrying about modesty (as if :o)

While you're pushing most of your clothes will likely come off anyway (or at least you won't care about them), and as soon as babe's born they'll put him/her directly on your chest regardless of what you are or are not wearing. Then, assuming all's well & you can go for a shower/etc, you can put on a nightdress then (you'll want out of whatever you've been wearing for labour/birth time anyway). But again, I personally was more comfy post birth in loose tracksuit or pj bottoms and a nursing shirt. It may be awkward moving around in the first couple days (esp if you get stitches) and I found it easier to move around/get comfy if I wasn't tugging a nightdress into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I agree with what Ayla said. I threw what I wore during labour in the bin. I didn't have pj's for after the birth but I will next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I agree with what Ayla said. I threw what I wore during labour in the bin. I didn't have pj's for after the birth but I will next time.

This is good info to get ladies! What else goes into the labour bag as opposed to the post bag!? Food for himself? And do you just bring in the labour bag at first and then send himself to the car after for the rest of the stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got some black nighties in penneys,€6 they're button down the front and knee length..there's about 8 different colours... i teamed them with some black jammie bottoms also in penney's for €7:D you won't really need much in the labour bag.. i also found disposable knickers great for the first 2 days... ;)
    Labour bag
    bottle water or 2
    a book or magazine
    a change of pjs for you
    some nappies
    vest and babygro for baby
    vaselline (in preparation for baby's first poo :D)
    your shower bag/cosmetic bag
    maternity pads
    hairbrush (very important, i forgot mine.. i'm a hairdresser:eek:)
    shower towel and a hand towel

After delivery
    another change of pj's
    more nappies
    cotton wool
    2 more vests and babygros
    knickers

you'll be able to get your OH to bring in anything you've forgotten at this stage and he can take home used things too... and you probably won't spend more than 1 or 2 nights depending on what time of day baby is born and whether its a straightforward birth or not.
    If i think of anything else i'll let you know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I'd suggest a t-shirt and spare socks for himself too. At my antenatal class we were told about one dad who stood in a pool of waters and had wet socks for hours. Another was peed on the first time he held his baby.

I know in Holles St they lock your main bag away for you and your husband can go get it after you're brought to the ward. Also probably worth asking the hospital about showering after the birth. Again in Holles St you have to wait until you go to the ward. In my case that was only about 30mins after stitching my epi. It meant I didn't need wash stuff or a towel.

I'd agree that pjs are better after the birth. Don't know about other hospitals but I was giving a cardboard bowl to fill every time I went to the loo for the first 24 hours. The first time I had great fun trying to hold it over the loo and hold up my nightdress while trying not to bleed on the floor. After that the pjs went on so it one less thing to worry about.

I'd highly recommend isotonic drinks for both of you. Again recommended to me at an antenatal class. I means that you are replacing sugars and salts that you are losing by sweating. Much better than plain water. I kept them in the fridge and just put them in my bag as we were leaving. The cold bottle against my skin was bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I found the disposable knickers utterly useless and went with a cheapo 5-pack of black full brief ones (damned sexy) from Tesco, threw them out as I used them.

I'd also second a long dark t-shirt or nightie for labour and then pjs for after - leggings of some sort are much comfier for keeping knickers/pads in place, and get black ones if you can (they have some non-maternity ones in Dunnes at the moment up to size 22).

Don't forget to bring a camera/have your phone charged for first pics - we had ours last time but totally forgot to take any pics until the next day :mad:

And don't forget your mp3 player if you're doing a hypnobirthing/relaxation program - I wouldn't have managed without mine last time.

I also found having snacks great - I brought a couple of packs of dried fruit, little cheese portions, a bottle of water and a few cereal bars. They were supposed to be for me if labour went on and on but labour was quick, I had no appetite and hubbie barely touched them, but I became ravenous in the middle of the night after the birth when there was nothing available and was soooo happy to have something to gnaw on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I second everything above, I also for got my hairbrush! Think it was about a fiver for a horrible one in the hospital shop!

I brought 3 of the Pennys long night shirts and used one in the labour room. Perfect. I was freezing in there even though it was a warm room so I had my dressing gown over me. I also bought 1 pack Tesco black 'full briefs' and threw them away after wards. I bought Fruit Isotonic drink last time but it was horrible, what other drink is Isotonic?

I brought loads of food with me too, great for the middle of the night after feeding baby!

For this time I bought these yesterday:
    http://www.clothingattesco.com/nightwear/f+f-signature-modal-lounge-pants/invt/cc122293/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-nightwear

http://www.clothingattesco.com/nightwear/f+f-signature-long-sleeve-henley-neck-top/invt/cc121100/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-nightwear

http://www.clothingattesco.com/nightwear/f+f-signature-wrap/invt/cc121107/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-nightwear

They are normal not maternity but even now the pants come right over my bump and have loads of 'healing' room at the crotch! Top has buttons down to nearly the waist and there a matching wrap type thing to go over them. They are 3 for 2 at the moment so I got the 3 bits for €19. I saw something like them in Dunnes last Christmas but they were too expensive. All other Tesco night wear is useless for the hospital, well worth trying Pennys.

I got the orange isotonic drinks in aldi. They tasted like Kia-Ora.

Those pjs from Tesco look great. Are they warm?

Definately agree about the snacks for the hospital bag. I got a pack of digestives and they were the best food I've ever eaten when I ate half the pack at 2am while feeding.

I got granny knickers that were 2 sizes too big in Dunnes and wore them for about 2 weeks after my daughter was born. They were great for the giant pads.

Get the hospital maternity pads instead of the boots ones. They're much more absorbant. Arnica tablets to help with healing after delivery.

Definitely bring food for after the birth especially if you I tend to breastfeed. I was ravenous and couldn't fill up. I got my husband to bring in loads of sandwiches for my first night and I ate most of them and gave some to an equally ravenous new mum beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Ladies.... I kept my labour nightie to wear the next time round as it was 'lucky!'

• Advertisement

I brought in a labour bag which had the following:
    comfy clothes (big shirt, loose shorts)
    camera
    phone
    something to keep me interested - book, logic puzzles/pen, crochet
    water bottle
    pads for heavy period with wings
    change of clothes for hubby
    vest/babygro for baby after birth
    2 baby nappies
    shower/toiletry kit (non fragranced)

Then I had a second bag, which hubby brought in after the delivery:
    2 sets comfy clothes
    burp clothes/muslins
    snacks
    3 sets vests/babygros for baby
    10 baby nappies - they can go through them quickly in the early days!
    pillow
    reading material (never got to use it b/c my girls never slept, but would've been nice to enjoy ;))
    phone charger
    camera charger or extra batteries
    pack of pads for ex heavy periods with wings
    few sets of regular underwear (those disposable knickers are horrible!)
    slippers/socks
    toiletries
    flushable toilet wipes - I found these really helpful in those early days when you're bleeding constantly & can't get showered...just kept things fresher ;)
    disposable sanitising wipes - in the event the bathroom or your area needs a quick wipedown
    A couple empty plastic bags to pack with things for hubby to bring home (dirties, etc).

Honestly, you don't want to bog yourself down w/ too much stuff. People can bring you snacks & partner/hubby can bring in any additional clothes, etc you may need (as well as take home anything you're done with).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mauzouni

Thanks ladies for all the advice!! Very helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

I wouldnt worry about what your wearing during labor, everything will most likely get destroyed! i suggest comfy dark pjs, a sports/nursing bra some extra large granny nickers! and i personally didnt like the maternity pads they were too thick and uncomfortable especially if u have stitches i found the always night time pads were great. if ur going public in the rotunda i would say bring the least amount of stuff,its so cramped and you wont want stuff everywhere and not sure about this time of year but the wards were way too warm i had my baby in june and couldnt breathe with the heat especially at visiting time, so maybe bring some vest tops

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Definitely don't forget to bring a hair brush and bobbins or a hairband, if you're roasting (which you probably will be) then tying your hair up is great relief. Also if you're having an epi they'll need to tie it up out of the way while it's being put in.

I had a wash bag, towel, and a spare nightie, nursing bra and knickers in my labour bag but I didn't need it because in Holles St (as has already been said) the main bag was minded down in the admissions office, and hubby went down to get it once I got to my room. I'd had an epi so it was a couple of hours before I was steady on my feet to have a shower. What I did use in the bag was a giant bottle of strawberry volvic, spare batteries for the TENS machine, and face wipes (nice and refreshing). We also had toothbrush, drinks and fresh socks, deoderant and tshirt for hubby. We were told in the antenatal class that it's a good idea for the dad/birth partner to wear something cool like a tshirt because the delivery room can be very warm. I'd say bring snacks for them too, we were lucky because I was in during the day so my husband went down to the cafe and got some lunch, but if you're in overnight there'll be nowhere for him to get food.

I wore an old short nightie for the labour, it had 3 buttons down the front so it would be good for breast feeding and skin to skin. A mans shirt would also do the job if you buy in a big size. Funnily enough, my labour nightie was spotless afterwards! I couldn't believe it! It must have been hiked up around my waist when I was pushing. I still have it (washed it, obviously). For the days in the hospital I was most comfortable in loose pyjamas.

Also found the disposable knickers useless, and I bought mothercare maternity pads which weren't really up to the job at all. My husband brought me in Always Maxi Night pads and I found them brilliant, very heavy duty and definitely didn't have to worry about leaks. They come in packs of 12 though so you'd probably have to buy a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

. Don't know about other hospitals but I was giving a cardboard bowl to fill every time I went to the loo for the first 24 hours.

Can someone explain this to me please as its really freaking me out :eek:

I just went to the loo as normal. No cardboard bowl necessary or supplied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Can someone explain this to me please as its really freaking me out :eek:

I am guessing its to check for blood clots, I got in trouble with the nurses because I didnt realise I was supposed to tell the nurses about any really big ones.

Sorry didn't mean to freak you out. Holles st want to note how much you pee in the first 24 hours so they give you a cardboard bowl to use. You're suppose to tell them when you've gotten and what cubicule you left it in. Then I assume they measure it. To be honest after the first time it was grand.

Since no one else seemed to have to do it, it must be a Holles st thing.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sorry didn't mean to freak you out. Holles st want to note how much you pee in the first 24 hours so they give you a cardboard bowl to use. You're suppose to tell them when you've gotten and what cubicule you left it in. Then I assume they measure it. To be honest after the first time it was grand.

Since no one else seemed to have to do it, it must be a Holles st thing.

I was in Holles St, and I only had to do it the first time. AFAIK it was to make sure your bladder was emptying properly :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Hi ladies this thread is great, thanks for all the tips!
    Im right in the middle of trying to organise my bag, 8wks to go :D:eek::D
    Quick question, have any of you used Tea tree oil? I saw on another list somewhere to have teatree oil & water in a squeezy bottle to help with the healing after going to the toilet?

x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Quins5 wrote: »
    Quick question, have any of you used Tea tree oil? I saw on another list somewhere to have teatree oil & water in a squeezy bottle to help with the healing after going to the toilet?
    God thanks for reminding me! I need to get some. I went through a couple of bottles of tea tree oil last time. I didn't put it in the squeezy bottle but I did use it in a sitz bath a couple of times a day (I had lots of stitches) and the relief was amazing.

I've since been told that you shouldn't do this, but I would also sprinkle a few drops of the oil directly onto the maternity towel/sanitary pad each time I put on a fresh one. Again, great relief but someone (from boards actually) said that it can actually slow down healing or create too antiseptic an environment. I'll be doing it this time as well though if I have stitches - I healed grand and the relief was immediate.

I put warm water and a drop each of tea tree and lavender into a squeezy bottle and used it everytime I peed for the first week at least maybe even two. I had a few stitches from a small episiotomy. I put a small bit of witch hazel on to my pad. I used the big green ones when I was hospital and then normal thick ones when I got home. Before I gave birth I thought the big green ones were crazy and got thin pads. I was glad of the green ones I got in the hospital as they were great for padding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Thats great to hear, thanks a mil!
    I was looking in boots and holland & barrets at the tea tree but there seemed to be bottles of different strengths... does it matter what percentage tea tree you use? ie 100%

Thanks

I would be very cautious with using 100% concentration of anything...tea tree is amazing stuff, but if you're putting it right up next to very sensitive (and possibly injured) skin, it can cause irritation/burns. I don't know what concentration would be best, perhaps other posters could share their advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I bought the boots own brand ess Tea Tree oil. I put about 10 drops in the bath every night.

I used pure tea tree oil since we had some anyway. I put 1 drop in a 500ml bottle of warm water. Basically I used it instead of toilet paper and just used paper to gently pat dry afterwards. If there was water left I just topped it up the next time.

I definitely wouldn't apply pure tea tree oil straight to healed skin let alone any cuts. If you're putting it in the bath a good trick is to mix it in a little milk so that it disperses in the water rather than sit on top.

Advertisement