Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journal.ie ad blocking forum menus

Options
  • 05-11-2011 6:20pm

I am currently using the Beta skin and have just noticed that the animated Journal.ie advert on the bottom left of the screen gets placed on top of the dropdown forum listings and thus blocks view of them. Just thought you should be made aware of this.

Just checked and it doesn't matter what side it's on, it blocks the menu on both.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Adblock gets rid of all the ads, thats what I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

There was a time when you'd have been banned for admitting to that!

lol Really?

I don't use it because of boards whose ads, in fairness, are pretty unobtrusive, the same can't be said for other sites I use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    lol Really?

I don't use it because of boards whose ads, in fairness, are pretty unobtrusive, the same can't be said for other sites I use!

In one or two isolated, yet telling cases, yes.

What I, and AFAIK others do, is whitelist boards.ie (if you use adverts.ie, you have to do this anyway, or the site becomes unusable, be that through accident or design, I'm not sure).

I've only ever had to turn it back on, on b.ie once or twice due to some bug or other, but generally they got sorted fairly quickly.

Tbh, I don't know if it's a moot point or not-I remember reading in seperate posts that both page impressions and actual click throughs generated revenue, but I don't remember anyone giving a definitive answer on that.

If it is click throughs that put shillings in the meter, it's not worth knocking off, because I never click the bastarding things anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I am currently using the Beta skin and have just noticed that the animated Journal.ie advert on the bottom left of the screen gets placed on top of the dropdown forum listings and thus blocks view of them. Just thought you should be made aware of this.

Just checked and it doesn't matter what side it's on, it blocks the menu on both.

Bug Reports go in Site Development ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,168 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lol Really?

Yep, yours truly. What made it more interesting is the entire affair began and was over with by the time I woke up and tried to log back into boards, so I was pretty confused and didn't get the true "siteban" experience.

I usually whitelist boards.ie but it inevitably comes across some ad or two that doesn't like to play nice.

Overheal wrote: »
    Yep, yours truly. What made it more interesting is the entire affair began and was over with by the time I woke up and tried to log back into boards, so I was pretty confused and didn't get the true "siteban" experience.

I usually whitelist boards.ie but it inevitably comes across some ad or two that doesn't like to play nice.
    lol thats pretty ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Tbh, I don't know if it's a moot point or not-I remember reading in seperate posts that both page impressions and actual click throughs generated revenue, but I don't remember anyone giving a definitive answer on that.

If it is click throughs that put shillings in the meter, it's not worth knocking off, because I never click the bastarding things anyway!
    I would like answer to this also.

lol thats pretty ridiculous.
    For all of a few hours, it makes no difference.

Either way I seriously doubt it matters quite nearly as much now given the site has several other sources of income now, like the verified rep system.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

like the verified rep system.

I thought that was just confirming you were who you say you were.

You have to pay for that now? For helping people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Callipo wrote: »
    I thought that was just confirming you were who you say you were.

You have to pay for that now? For helping people?
    Well it's advertising, is it not?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Well it's advertising, is it not?

No.

You post helping someone or offering advice but you are affiliated to a company. How is that advertising?

Bit like me saying I work for UPC and I suggest you ring this number etc..

How is that advertising?

No.

You post helping someone or offering advice but you are affiliated to a company. How is that advertising?

Bit like me saying I work for UPC and I suggest you ring this number etc..

How is that advertising?
    If an established user mentioned it in one or two of their posts then there might not be that much of a problem but if you've got someone who has signed up just to post responses to queries about the company they work for and in their capacity as an employee of that company, then that would be advertising and would be against the T&Cs. The company would essentially be getting free advertising.

If an established user mentioned it in one or two of their posts then there might not be that much of a problem but if you've got someone who has signed up just to post responses to queries about the company they work for and in their capacity as an employee of that company, then that would be advertising and would be against the T&Cs. The company would essentially be getting free advertising.

No.

They would have just been contributing to the community? By being verified it means they were not some ass taking this p1ss or trolling or most importantly pretending to be from a company. IE verified.

No.

They would have just been contributing to the community? By being verified it means they were not some ass taking this p1ss or trolling or most importantly pretending to be from a company. IE verified.
    They also have the name of the company in big red letters and the only contributions they are making to the community are related to their company, i.e. advertising.

They also have the name of the company in big red letters and the only contributions they are making to the community are related to their company, i.e. advertising.

No.

The big red letters thing happens after.

Not sure you are getting the concept....

Verified Reps are under contract. The majority of sitebans are for shills and spammers. They even get their own forums set up. Don't know why you think boards paid staff would go through all that trouble for free.

Verified Reps are under contract. The majority of sitebans are for shills and spammers. They even get their own forums set up. Don't know why you think boards paid staff would go through all that trouble for free.

So if I admit I work for compay x I have to pay even though I was just contributing to the community, in the "right" way?

Yes/No?

So if I admit I work for compay x I have to pay even though I was just contributing to the community, in the "right" way?

Yes/No?
    You would have to describe what you mean, by The Right Way, I reckon. Admission of working for company X is not by itself grounds for banning from what I have seen. Making your agenda on this website to promote that business is though. For instance a few of the mods and long standing members of the Tech Forums work and operate PC repair business but in all fairness I could not for the life of me be able to tell you the names of their businesses or where they are located because they are not here to use boards as an advertising platform; they come here to exchange and share info on problems and fixes and salivate over the latest lithography, or take turns sharing hate stories about Norton antivirus.

You would have to describe what you mean, by The Right Way, I reckon. Admission of working for company X is not by itself grounds for banning from what I have seen. Making your agenda on this website to promote that business is though. For instance a few of the mods and long standing members of the Tech Forums work and operate PC repair business but in all fairness I could not for the life of me be able to tell you the names of their businesses or where they are located because they are not here to use boards as an advertising platform; they come here to exchange and share info on problems and fixes and salivate over the latest lithography, or take turns sharing hate stories about Norton antivirus.

OK.

I thought there was a difference from those who bought forums versus those who were helping people

The rest of you're arguments make you look like a .

• Advertisement
Advertisement