Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Christmas market happening again this year?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Of so, is it kicking off at the start of December?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hopefully!

If they can get rid of the crust!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I hope so, it was great last year.

I hope those tramps will decide they've made their point (whatever thats supposed to be) and move out of eyre square before the market arrives. It would really annoy me if that pointless and useless eyesore of a protest disrupted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 micksie

According to the Discover Ireland website, it is due to run from November 25 to December 18. Hope it goes ahead, thought there was a nice atmosphere around the square last December.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

The idea is great but I found it disappointing to be honest, how many overpriced food stalls can you have, I can get a burger or a hotdog at any time of the year for a lot less, I do hope they limit the amount of similar stalls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Doom wrote: »
    The idea is great but I found it disappointing to be honest, how many overpriced food stalls can you have, I can get a burger or a hotdog at any time of the year for a lot less, I do hope they limit the amount of similar stalls.
    You can't get a Kangaroo burger or Bratwurst at any time of the year in Galway, unless i'm missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It will be some job trying to get rid of those awful tents.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You can't get a Kangaroo burger or Bratwurst at any time of the year in Galway, unless i'm missing something.

Can't help you with the roo burgers (they were lovely) but you can get some nice wurst now.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74219309
    Haven't been there in a while but when I was the quality was quite good. Reasonable currywurst too.

Can't help you with the roo burgers (they were lovely) but you can get some nice wurst now.
    Haven't been there in a while but when I was the quality was quite good. Reasonable currywurst too.

Update. There is now a bratwurst stand in the market. Just had one and it was excellent. They also had curry wurst so for some decent German sausage get to the market now!

Update. There is now a bratwurst stand in the market. Just had one and it was excellent. They also had curry wurst so for some decent German sausage get to the market now!
    Cool,wheres their 'pitch' didnt see it yesterday, and for the record Ripps is now defunct.

• Advertisement

Cool,wheres their 'pitch' didnt see it yesterday, and for the record Ripps is now defunct.

Ripps is gone already?
    Already???

So is Jack Duggans kitchen by the looks of it.

I was at the market yesterday and they weren't there....
    They were there this morning though. Joachim's bratwurst. Right next to the South African boerie rolls guy.

Ripps is gone already?
    Already???

So is Jack Duggans kitchen by the looks of it.

I was at the market yesterday and they weren't there....
    They were there this morning though. Joachim's bratwurst. Right next to the South African boerie rolls guy.
    Yep ive passed Ripps 3 or 4 times in the last couple of weeks during the day and its been closed. JD's is gone a month id say and the Cornish Pastie place is gone as of last week too.
    I'll have a look for the Bratwurst lad next weekend, hopefully hes there Saturday, Sunday doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Bratwurst guy was there yesterday, he was just by the entrance (for cars) of St. Nicholas'

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Or you could just go to LIDL or ALDI...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

It's immaterial to me as, with quiet year I had combined with the next attack I'll be receiving at budget day will mean further belt tightening....... there is NO WAY that I'll be spending out on overpriced tat. IMHO the Occupy crowd are FAR more deserving of the space!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i tend to agree with you beta. Last year it was pure tacky stuff up there. and overpriced junk food. Am dreading the next bout of cuts. and I definitely won't be spending it at the christmas market. I felt quite unsafe too the one time I went up there - losts of shady characting lurking around the stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I felt quite unsafe too the one time I went up there - losts of shady characting lurking around the stalls.

Hahaha. You got scared at a christmas market???? I was there twice last year and I though it was grand, didn't notice anyone dodgy looking apart from the usual few knackers hanging around eyre square at night.

I don't see how anyone could think that the occupation is more deserving of space in eyre square than the christmas market. The hippies in the tensts are doing nothing practical to help our current economic situation. The market brings in people, and those people spend money, not just in the market, and that money supports businesses and jobs in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I loved the market last year, it gives a great buzz to the place, similar to the many festivals during the summer. I'm surprised it was never done before last year, it really feels like a typical Galway thing.

I know it was a bit expensive for food and drink but it's not like you'd go there every day. I always consider I'm paying for the atmosphere and the buzz as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I wasn't mad on it at all from last year. Only interesting stall was the Nun's Icon one, and that's saying something!
    St Nicholas' Market has bucket loads more atmosphere, craic and tons cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I don't understand. How hard is it to remove a few people who are illegally living in a public park.

Arrest the people, take the tents, release the people. Wash, rinse and repeat. There is only so many tents they will be willing to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Market not the same as last year,Organisers not returning so prob a different market to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was once there a couple times last year. It was ok like.

Advertisement