Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kgs in a 100 weight ?

• 05-11-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I get confused with kgs and 100 weight.Am i right thinking if i had a animal 300 kg she would be 1 and a half hundred weight, or would she be 600 weight. Need to know cause think i might have giving a sick weanling the wrong amount of dose .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

k mac wrote: »
    I get confused with kgs and 100 weight.Am i right thinking if i had a animal 300 kg she would be 1 and a half hundred weight, or would she be 600 weight. Need to know cause think i might have giving a sick weanling the wrong amount of dose .

50 kg per hundred weight so a 300kg animal is 6 hundred weight.

Modern animal medicines will always be dosed per kg, not per hundred weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

50kg/cwt, so 300 kg is 6 cwt(100 weight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

300kg = 6cwt i.e 1 cwt = 50kg

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭k mac

reilig wrote: »
    50 kg per hundred weight so a 300kg animal is 6 hundred weight.

Modern animal medicines will always be dosed per kg, not per hundred weight.
    Thats what i thought as well. Had a recently bought weanling this morning that was not that poorly but seemed very snotted. So went to the vet and the women in the office gave me duocycle and told me give it 5cc per 100 weight so as the animal was 325 kg and i thought that was 1 and a half hundred weight i gave her 8 mls however she does not seemed to have improved much and is still very snotty. I was also confused with cc's also as the syringe was in mls. By that reckonin should i have gave her 32.5 mls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

To be exact - 1 cwt = 112 lb, which is equal to 50.802345 kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Craggy Island

Pakalasa, I only guess my cattles weight to 6 decimal places too:pac:.

K Mac, One ml is the same as one cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Pakalasa, I only guess my cattles weight to 6 decimal places too:pac:.

Anything less would be bordering on amature!:D

OP, It can be an easy mistake to confuse hundredweight (Cwt) and 100 Kilos. Maybe clarify with the Vet is the dose 5cc/cwt or 5cc/100kgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trawbrega

craggy island would 10 ml be equil to 1cl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

trawbrega wrote: »

Cent is one hundred.
    Centiliter is one hunderd of a liter.
    One hundred of a liter is 10ml.
    So 1cl = 10ml!

Cl isn't a measure you see that much oddly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

32.5 was about right,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Bizzum wrote: »
    trawbrega wrote: »

Cent is one hundred.
    Centiliter is one hunderd of a liter.
    One hundred of a liter is 10ml.
    So 1cl = 10ml!

Cl isn't a measure you see that much oddly enough!
    Cl or cc
    Cl is 10
    Cc is 1

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭k mac

PMU wrote: »
    32.5 was about right,
    Does that not seem like a lot though. The syringe would not even take that it would mean having to fill and try and inject her again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Does that not seem like a lot though. The syringe would not even take that it would mean having to fill and try and inject her again !

1 cc is the same as 1 ml

325/50 = 6.5

the correct dose is 6.5 ml or 6.5 cc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thats what i thought as well. Had a recently bought weanling this morning that was not that poorly but seemed very snotted. So went to the vet and the women in the office gave me duocycle and told me give it 5cc per 100 weight so as the animal was 325 kg and i thought that was 1 and a half hundred weight i gave her 8 mls however she does not seemed to have improved much and is still very snotty. I was also confused with cc's also as the syringe was in mls. By that reckonin should i have gave her 32.5 mls?

jasus lads its not feckin rocket science, its primary skool maths.

5ml x 6.5 hundredweight = 32.5 ml or cc for the animal

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The correct term is 'Hundredweight', not "100 Weight", which I suspect is where a lot of the confusion is coming from.
    It's abbreviated to 'cwt', which is derived from the Latin 'Centum Weight' (literally 'one hundred' and 'weight').

A British Hundredweight (the one we use, or USED to use) is 112 pounds, which is as near as dammit to 50kg as makes no practical difference when weighing livestock.

The OP's animal is 325kg; that's 6 1/2cwt in the old money.

Cubic Centimeters (cc) and Millilitres (ml) are exactly the same measure of volume and are fully interchangeable.
    1cc = 1ml = 1cc.

The OP needs to clarify whether the lady in the vet's office said 5cc/cwt, or 5cc/100kg.
    At 5cc/cwt, the dose would be 32.5cc.
    At 5cc/100kg, the dose would be 16.25cc.

I'd be measuring those at 33cc or 17cc, give or take. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Lads,

Quotes from Univet site;
    DUOCYCLINE 10%
    Dosage and Administration
    For intramuscular use only.
    The recommended dosage is 5 ml/ 100 kg bodyweight.
    If the injection volume exceeds 25 ml, divide the dose and administer at two separate injection sites.

Surely medicines should be dispensed with clearly labeled instructions :eek:

I think the lady in the vets needs to update to the metric system; a bit like the auld lad looking at beef prices in pence/pound ;)

CC

Advertisement