Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panzer Dragoon Orta

• 05-11-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭

Panzercover.jpg

So I've been hearing about this game on the original xbox for some time now and I'm never played it.
    Even the latest issue of Retro Gamer mag has an article on it and they reckon its a future classic so I decided to buy a copy (or two :D).

So while I await delivery maybe a few of you can weigh in on the game.

Is it really that good?

Should I play it on the Xbox or is it better to play it on the 360 with the enhanced graphics.

Apparently there was a problem getting past level 3 if you played it on the 360 but i think that issue has been resolved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's an absolutely brilliant game. Probably my favourite on the original Xbox next to Steel Battalion.

You should buy a PAL Panzer Dragoon Saga to go with it :pac:

The last I heard it still was unplayable on the 360 beyond level 3 and there were no plans to fix it? great news if Microsoft had finally gotten around to fix the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Agree completely with o1s1n, great game, one of the best on the original xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game that's worth keeping your original Xbox for! Strangers Wrath too, of course, but that's gettng HDified.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a lovely lovely game.
    The DNA of Space Harrier runs strong in all of these superb Sega games, Panzer Dragoon, Rez, Child of Eden, very good indeed.
    It's the beauty and the fusion of audio and the visual that keeps coming up, especially in the latter two.
    I'm not sure I buy the whole synesthesia thing, I have read a few things on the subject, Oliver Sachs has some very interesting things to say, and it's seems like someone is trying to make the games more "cerebral".
    Personally I think the designers created jewels here in these games, and I can easily imagine Rez being still played in 10/15/20 years, it is as perfect a game as Galaga or Pacman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,732 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sorry to derail, but isn't Stranger's Wrath already in HD on PC?

Or are the high-res textures PS3-exclusive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Orta is a superb game alright - one of the very best on the original Xbox.

I bought it at launch for full whack happily. It was just so beautiful and different to a lot of the other Xbox games that were out at the time. Sadly I was seemingly one of only a handful of people who bought the thing at the time. Maybe Sega will rerelease it on Xbox Live Arcade? Would look great in HD as it looks mighty in standard definition as it is.

I remember playing the demo A LOT before getting the game - it was a lot of fun. The game itself had an interesting upgrade mechanic, three different Dragons and some weird-ass levels in there. Its got branching pathways also. Its not the hardest or deepest video game out there, but then on-rails games generally tend to be neither. What it is though is an audio visual delight with some hugely enjoyable set-pieces and fun gameplay throughout. Its also chock full of secrets and is very replayable. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So it seems its a good one so :)

I got a couple of mint copies of it on the same auction for a really good price.

Will give it a good bash next week when I'm back in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sorry to derail, but isn't Stranger's Wrath already in HD on PC?

Or are the high-res textures PS3-exclusive?

Yeah, apparently they released it on Steam, although they didn't really publicise it. Heard there were a few dodgy bugs at launch, but probably cleaned up by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just to chime in that PDS is an amzing game,for me it's the best rail shooter ever made. Great story as well although only people that have finished panzer dragoon saga would get it.

Actually bought this at the weekend for £3.50 to compliment the promo copy I have :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Its a series of games that I'd love to see remastered and sold for the current gen but what are the chances?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first game has aged quite a bit but with a framerate of 60 FPS instead of 20 then it could be a lot more playable.

Zwei on the other hand despite the aged visulas is still brilliant and with a lick of paint and 60 FPS would be amazing.

As for Panzer Dragoon Saga, over 10 years on it's still way ahead of it's time as an RPG and with updated visuals would still be ahead of pretty much any RPG that has been released recently. A truly remarkable game.

Would definitely love to see a remastering or even a rerelease. Unfortunately Sega have lost the source code to all the games so the chances are slim.

Advertisement