Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearing up for record breaking warmth from the 11th Nov ---->

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

NIALL D wrote: »
    so is it lookin good for a cold blast to come once this few days of warmth gets pushed out ??

That is in doubt at this moment because the models are all over the place tbh.

What is not in doubt is that it will become very mild or warm by the end of this week.

Excellent UKMO for cold.

UW144-21.GIF?08-05

What comes shortly after that is just as ravaging in terms of cold and potential snow and ice as last year - if it occurs.;)

No change in the more immediate mild outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »
    It's the fact it was covered in cloud no1 that restricted temperatures. (so was the continent so temperatures could not have risen much there in the first place and besides the origin of the air is compatible with the faux cold developing there this time of year) No2 air from the Southeast of the continent is of the faux cold variety this time of year. i.e surface is cool. It's not the same as the projected flow by the end of the week at all. The wind then will be travelling over the southern med and the bay of biscay. Completely different scenario. The air will be moist and inherently warm at all levels. It won't have the dryness of the artic originated airflow modified in the East Med. Chalk and cheese.

Yes, that's the point I was making. It's not enough for someone to see warm T850s and go "Wow, we're in for a roasting". It's the boundary layer that's the key, and that's dictated by its origin and modification.
    P.S you say T850's are not a warm airmass? It is a very warm airmass for Ireland even in the height of summer.

However, T850 is NOT always an indication of a warm airmass, as you say, even in summer. The definition of an airmass is "A huge volume of air covering thousands of square kilometers that is relatively uniform in temperature and water vapor concentration." A subsidence inversion, such as we have now, warms and dries only a small layer of the atmosphere, but the majority of it above and below that can still be cold, and even below zero in some cases. That's a cold airmass.

Forecast soundings for Dublin and Athlone at 12Z and 15Z, respectively, on the 14th show a relatively cool, cloudy isothermal boundary beneath an inversion, with only some slight warming at Atlone by 15Z, around 12 °C at the surface (which we can round up to say 15 °C, allowing for a slight low surface temp bias for the GFS). A similar setup to that over England and the near continent yesterday.

Dublin
    180684.gif

Athlone
    180685.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

darkman2 wrote: »
    Excellent UKMO for cold.

UW144-21.GIF?08-05

What comes shortly after that is just as ravaging in terms of cold and potential snow and ice as last year - if it occurs.;)

No change in the more immediate mild outlook.

Is that a blocking high developing?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

:) Dying to see how this pans out...

• Advertisement

Derfil wrote: »
    Is that a blocking high developing?

Sorry that chart has actually change. That is not very good anymore. We need the high pressure over Europe to disappear, preferably get hoovered up North.

The ECM is the pick of them tonight. Good Northern blocking here. The cold air coming through Scandinavia. Much better profile then the rest of the models with the exception of the JMA model.

Recm2161.gif

Recm2162.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This warmer spell looks like being good for 5/6 days atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Bought my sombrero today. :)

Looks like I should have done the same. I dug out my heavy jacket when we had a cold snap and by default have been wearing it during the unexpected heatwave. But given Irish weather once I took out the hoody it started to get cold again...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Bought my sombrero today. :)

Will be a sombrero moment when it gets soaked in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

this November could be the reverse of last year.

Extreme mildness.

Even record breaking.

Think the mean by the end of the month will be nudging real high values.

Though a slight shift here and there in a low could still drag down cold near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Very humid out there today also. Temperature in Athlone is already at 13.5. Towards the end of the weekend particularly looks quite mild. We will easily be hitting the mid teens by the looks of it, if not higher. Only until the 20th or so is there signs of a breakdown into cooler weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

pauldry wrote: »
    this November could be the reverse of last year.

Extreme mildness.

Even record breaking.

Think the mean by the end of the month will be nudging real high values.

Though a slight shift here and there in a low could still drag down cold near the end.

Hell one or two of the upcoming days might even be described as being...... warm :eek: November warmth, love it! Will probably pay a Dec/Jan hangover though for it :(

Max today was 14.9 °C at Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Su Campu wrote: »
    Any official 19.0....as per met.ie's monthly summary, just like in the competition!

I'm going nowhere lads, we're not going to get it.

Sunday's the one to watch Su....I think we could get close!!

alfa beta wrote: »
    Sunday's the one to watch Su....I think we could get close!!

Evelyn tonight gave 15 - 16 °C as the high on Sunday. Still on track..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Evelyn tonight gave 15 - 16 °C as the high on Sunday. Still on track..... ;)

dibs on the mod spot. :P

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

just had a glance at MT's forecast there - he mentions an 18....

(think it'll all come down to cloud cover in the end and here in the "sunny south east" I'm looking forward to the usual fog we get when this scenario occurs and maxima of 12C !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could you imagine if we got this in summer!!?? - at this time of year I think such balmy weather is a total waste:(

November running 2 to 2.5c above the final mean so far even before this 16 or 17 Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Very high temperatures for the time of year in Spain and S.W. France.
    Heading our way?

Reurmett.gif

• Advertisement

Very high temperatures for the time of year in Spain and S.W. France.
    Heading our way?

Fairly typical temperatures if you ask me. Slightly above the norm in a few places, but they would get days like this most years.

I'm still saying we won't break 19.0 tomorrow. May not even make 18.0 °C, even though the Hirlam has +12 °C T850 temps over the southwest tomorrow afternoon.

181125.png

181126.png

GFS sounding for the midlands tomorrow afternoon shows a strong inversion at 900 hPa, with a well mixed boundary layer. Even with full insolation, surface temperatures may only reach around 17 °C at best, due to mixing out by the stiff southeasterly winds.

181128.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Title is a bit misleading really, certainly can't see any records being broken this weekend. maybe for the month as a whole on the mildness front, but not specifically this weekend.

could even be some rain in the Southwest tomorrow so 16c is realistic. If there is some sunshine inland as there will be in the East and North a 17 is possible. But as was said the wind is maybe going to ruin 18s hopes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭thomasj

walking up georges street today I saw shorts shades and Christmas lights :confused:

wtf? I am sorry but I am not down under, I am far from it, that combination should not be happening over here!

what is happening to our Irish weather?

It's because it was sunny. Irish people see sun and dress like they're on holiday in the Med, no matter what the season, what the temperature. If it were cloudy and the same temperaure there wouldn't be near as many dressed like that.

As for shades....well they CAN be worn in any season!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭thomasj

As for shades....well they CAN be worn in any season!

and anywhere! I saw them over the head in a nightclub a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

true though about Irish people and the weather, the one thing they complain about like they are experts, and yet they seem to have it backwards come rain or shine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

thomasj wrote: »
    true though about Irish people and the weather, the one thing they complain about like they are experts

It's odd, we are often considered a nation that talks incessantly about the weather, yet, when you give someone who is complaining about it even a brief explanation as to why the weather is so dull, or cold, or wet, they sort of look at you funny and as if you are a little bit mad (which I suppose in my case is justified!!) so I just tend to go with the flow and agree with those who say that the weather is 'crap' / 'rotten' or even 'nice' even if I don't actually agree with them. But, I do think it is an inherent trait in Ireland / UK in general to complain about the weather just for the sake of complaining about it without really wanting to go to deep into the reasons as why those most horrible of conditions are occurring.

Valentia is 16.5 °C at 0900. Amazingly, from the 06Z sounding, the temperature at 500 metres was 19.4 °C!

181200.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Very mild here in Kerry , 16.5c but raining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Valentia is 16.5 °C at 0900. Amazingly, from the 06Z sounding, the temperature at 500 metres was 19.4 °C!

That is amazing. Would that mean that it should be above 19c if you are up any of the Kerry mountains? I suppose that temp won't count though because nobody lives there.

Advertisement