Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QUAD BIKE WONT START

• 05-11-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Got a 2001 honda 350 quad that cant get to start, got new battery and drained the old petrol out as been lying up in shed for nearly year or so but it will churn and churn but will not give the kick to start it,

any ideas guys....thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

might seem very daft, but is the red on/off switch on the handle bars turned on, always turn ours off on key, and get caught out with this at times.

petrol tap turned on, spark plug.

have heard of people using ordinary gallon cans for petrol, this petrol strips the plastic from the cans and when left sit for a long period in a machine can bung up the carb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

checked all this but have to say engine oil was very low and i topped it up,

is it true that when these honda engine oil gets very low that there is a built in devive that wont let them start as i got a 13hp honda pressure that when the oil gets low it automatically wont start till oil is at correct level again..

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You will probably need to strip and clean the carb, they will block with the residue left from the petrol.
    Ultrasound may be the best way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

dar31 wrote: »
    might seem very daft, but is the red on/off switch on the handle bars turned on, always turn ours off on key, and get caught out with this at times.

petrol tap turned on, spark plug.

have heard of people using ordinary gallon cans for petrol, this petrol strips the plastic from the cans and when left sit for a long period in a machine can bung up the carb.

probably no harm throw in a new spark plug anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21 grizzly700

Would you sell it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Mine was the same a few months ago. Dont do much with it so does be parked up a good bit. It was the fuel pump that was goosed in mine.

i cleaned the carb but no luck as i said it churn and churn but just wears down the new battery

wouldnt sell it as need it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

put a set of jump leads on it or a boost pack (halfords do a cheap one for €90)

or pull start it behind a jeep or car. Compression in the engine could be low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Quads have 12v electrics same as motorbikes and jumping them off car batteries can sometimes cause the electrics to get overloaded and blow the reg/rectifier units.
    You need to check the basics.
    start with spark, take the plug out and fit a new one, earth the plug on the engine and crank it to see if its sparking.
    Spark OK? Move on to Fuel.
    Is there new fresh fuel in the tank? Is it getting to the Carb?
    How did you clean the Carb? Take the floatbowl off and see if it is clear?
    What about the jets? Main and pilot? are they clear and clean?
    You might be best to get the carb cleaned in an ultrasound cleaner. There are hidden passageways in carbs that can block and you will never get them clean without using an ultrasound cleaner.
    If you have fuel and spark it should start assuming the compression is OK.

oh thats the way i was trying to start it before i got new battery, i was using jump leads and a spare 092 battery from a vw passat.
    compression seems low but bike showing 39000 hrs -

il have another look at it 2moro and follow the instructions given thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What about the oil level?

A lot of honda quads have a low oil cut off switch which will kill the engine when oil goes low. It saved my quad engine a few weeks back. Check the oil, also check the switch - you should be able to download a free manual online which will detail the location of the switch.

HI, When i got it engine oil was very low and now at the correct level now again.

where would this switch be located(cant find much any use online)

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

kincaid wrote: »
    HI, When i got it engine oil was very low and now at the correct level now again.

where would this switch be located(cant find much any use online)

thanks

I'm no mechanic, but by googleing it, it says that its on the bottom of the engine. It has an electric cable coming out of it!

OK i got it started and let it run for quite a white but its not idling properly( very erattic) and sometimes dies out if you dont give it some throttle.

also its backfires when i take it for a run

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

kincaid wrote: »
    OK i got it started and let it run for quite a white but its not idling properly( very erattic) and sometimes dies out if you dont give it some throttle.

also its backfires when i take it for a run

Thanks

i think that mean carb is dirty although I could be totally off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You could try asking over in the 4x4 & Tractors & Diggers & Plant or Motorbikes forums, quad threads come up pretty regularly in both.

Advertisement