Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy goose?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 9:18pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to do goose for Christmas this year, and wondering if people have any recommendations as to where I can buy one?

I'm in North Co. Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I buy the frozen one in Lidl every year. We also splashed out and bought one in the butcher one year. The butcher was 60 e . Lidl 20 e. We are more then happy with the Lidl one .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wow thanks, how big is the one from Lidl?

I used have goose as a child at christmas so this is a real trip down memory lane for me :)

I cant recall the exact weight. But we use it as a 2 nd or 3 rd meat so its a taste for everyone . Prob would feed four as a main but at a stretch.... boney creatures :D
    Delish stuffing with it is your regular bread stuffing, plus left over potatoe and a good dollop of stewed apple.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cooked a frozen goose from Lidl last year myself, not for the Christmas dinner mind you, but it was tasty enough.

One tip is to make sure and use a good deep grill pan to cook it, the amount of fat that comes from a goose is insane. Make smashing roast spuds though so it's great.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

We had Lidl goose last year too - and it was wonderful - I agree it would probably feed four people. I did it á la Gordon Ramsay - with a sprinkle of Chinese 5-spice, citrus zest and a little honey, served with date and red wine sauce on the side.

I'm planning to do the same this year - best Christmas dinner we'd had in years.

• Advertisement

I sit my fella up on a small bar b que rack inside the large roasting tin so that its not sitting in the fat. I also drain the fat half way through into a jug . cool and then keep in the fridge for spuds or general tasty frying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I sit my fella up on a small bar b que rack inside the large roasting tin so that its not sitting in the fat. I also drain the fat half way through into a jug . cool and then keep in the fridge for spuds or general tasty frying.

Very important advice. The amount of fat that a goose produces while being roasted is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you intend to stuff a goose, remember that the cavity is massive and will take about twice the amount of stuffing as you probably think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi Stheno - Maybe the locals know of a local supplier that you can pick one up from. ;)
    (Moved from Cooking & Recipes.)

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm looking to do goose for Christmas this year, and wondering if people have any recommendations as to where I can buy one?

I'm in North Co. Dublin

try the butchers in moore street or talbot street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

M&S do fresh goose around Christmas, but not cheap. I would have thought that most good butchers should be able to get you one.

Other than that, I'd recommend Rogerstown Estuary and a shot gun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Des Byrne's Butchers in Skerries sell geese coming up to Christmas. It is possible that if you ask him he can order you one.

I have a feeling that there are also free-range (if not organic) geese to be had from a couple of the farmers in the Blackhills too. I'll ask around when I'm back home next week.

Advertisement