Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm bubbaing a yugo mauser!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Great looking stock. Personally, since you're already committing a heresy by messing with it in the first place (:p) I'd have gone for the sporting style stock in the also-rans on that auction. This one here. Nice project though. I do like the idea of sporterising some of those old guns. Some were real shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Is a yugo mauser the same as a Zastava copy of the kar98 ? Pardon my ignorance but I'm just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Is a yugo mauser the same as a Zastava copy of the kar98 ? Pardon my ignorance but I'm just curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M48_Mauser

Zastava make a version called the m48/68 which has a shorter barrel I think.

OK so all the bits and pieces came in.
    First I put on a sling swivel stud to attach a harris bipod.
    Its a machine screw that screws into a nut that you counter sink a hole for in the stock, then epoxy the whole thing in place.
    Its rock solid and not going anywhere.

As said I used the S&K scope mount, a solid impressive well made piece.
    I had to relieve the stock a bit to get it to sit nicely.
    Its roughly done, I'll finish it nicely late.
    The scope is a Vortex Diamondback, a freebie to me 4-12x40mm
    The half bent bolt of the M48 just clears it, so no bolt bending!

Next up is to chop the comb out and install the riser hardware.

6338744592_ea8629750c_b.jpg
    CIMG0108 by harmoniums, on Flickr

6337997089_0abc6ce9e2_b.jpg
    CIMG0117 by harmoniums, on Flickr

6338747376_ce5fb19631_b.jpg
    CIMG0112 by harmoniums, on Flickr

heres a few pics to show how the stock had to be relieved for the scope mount.
    I dont have a router table so I did the rough fit with a coping saw and files.
    (I'm no a woodworker at all so dont beat me up too bad ... the edges will be squared up tomorrow)

6339051232_35acabd080_b.jpg
    CIMG0110 by harmoniums, on Flickr

6339062114_abc16f18a2_b.jpg
    CIMG0115 by harmoniums, on Flickr

• Advertisement

Must say, I'd have drilled and tapped the receiver for standard mounts. That S&K job is huge and chunky!

Must say, I'd have drilled and tapped the receiver for standard mounts. That S&K job is huge and chunky!

Yeah its beefy alright, but the more I look at it the more it grows on me!
    I may still go D&T, but for the tiem being this is OK, the height of it allows me to use the standard half bent bolt

harmoniums wrote: »
    Yeah its beefy alright, but the more I look at it the more it grows on me!
    I may still go D&T, but for the tiem being this is OK, the height of it allows me to use the standard half bent bolt

I quite like the look of the sharply cut and jointed straight bolt handles on the Mausers. Would love to build a few the way you're doing, sporter jobs on old actions, in some classic cartridges to do them justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Do you have enough clearance to operate the safety catch on it with the scope?

That was a problem on my Old Mauser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I had an S&K setup on my Anschutz hornet, they were quality stuff.

• Advertisement

her she is as of tonight:

[IMG][/img]6343400072_60490c6c45_b.jpg
    CIMG0120 by harmoniums, on Flickr

I'm not real happy with the riser, I'm not much of a woodworker but did get it more or less installed straight, I'm just not sure a locked mechanism using setscrews is going to holt up to 8mm recoil.
    It just feels a wee bit hokey.

OK so here a few more pics

6344485113_d8515a9909_b.jpg
    leftside_cropped by harmoniums, on Flickr

6342665613_6bdeb31dfe_z.jpg
    CIMG0123 by harmoniums, on Flickr

For a craptacular woodworker like me the riser hardware didn't go very well.
    (My father once said to me, on observing me trying to drive a nail into some wood "Jeez you think that nail would just hop right into that wood, what with all the threatening you're giving it")

I took the butt plate of the stock and attached it to an L shaped piece of sacrificial MDF via screws into the butt.

This held the stock so my band saw cut would be orthogonal to the centerline of the stock (flat and level when the rifles is standing straight).
    This took some cursing and ignorance to get just right.

I used an 14TPI 1/4 blade on the bandsaw, I should have really used a finer saw (1/8 inch wide), and successfully brutally chomped the comb out.

The cut is pretty ragged and needs to be sanded down.

I then used a 7/8 and 5/8 brad point drill bit and sank the holes into the come and stock

A word of caution here the flat of the stock and comb need to be perfectly level to so that the risers don't diverge like a Japanese young persons fingers on sighting of a camera.

I trial fitted the hardware and found myself not having parallel risers, also I really should of measured like 2e+3 times more before drilling, my holes on the comb and stock were not co-axial.

I had to turn the bases through 90 degrees and lose the left-to right adjustment to recover the project, once they were turned, I corrected for my drilling error by moving the risers closer to one another.

I then haphazardly applied epoxy to my lip, finger, brow furrow and stock

Once everything is installed you have to drill into the comb through the collars that slide over the risers and tap them for set screws.

I did this this morning and its surprisingly solid, IF I weighed about 60lbs I could hang out of it!

here's some close up pictures of the butchery:

6344486027_488f1a25f1_b.jpg
    left_comb_cropped by harmoniums, on Flickr

6345236456_8f5fa87a37_b.jpg
    rightside_comb_zoomed by harmoniums, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Had wondered about doing this myself to my CZ 452. I think you've done a commendable job tbh. A bit more fine sanding wouldn't go astray but arguably would go against the rugged look of these guns

Advertisement