Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home brew from kits....giving me the runs.... (sorry for being crude)

Options
  • 05-11-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

I'm a fairly heavy Cider drinker, usually I will drink 5-6 pints of Cider several times a week and I've tried all sorts of cider and love it. So my stomach is used to cheap rubbish such as Inchs Stone house and Devils Bit, druids etc.
    as well as odd brands that crop up at the local offy from time to time...
    so I would consider the beer belly to be able to handle quite a lot of abuse.

I've made several batches of Magnum Cider and made a batch of largar too. For some reason I've noticed if I drink 2-3 bottles of home brew cider it has the tendency to upset my stomach and gives me the splatters/runs the next morning, and its also (If I drink 5-6 pints) giving some wicked hangovers that I've not experienced since I was a teenager.

I dont understand why this happens? any booze I buy over the counter
    I will drink finest and have no issues with, yet any of the home brew
    seems to react badly with me.

Can anyone shed any light on the differences of commercial brew vs home brew and why the home brew would cause this type of reaction?

Any of the home brews I've done I've made sure everything was sanitized
    before use so its not a brew gone bad.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sweetafton

The live yeast is the culprit. It's infamous for causing the scours if you are a bit sensitive to it. Commercial ciders are pasteurised, so it doesnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

+1 on yeast being the cause. Its a good way of celaring the system out :) i think the body gets used to it . Also you can try a few things
    leave the bottles sitting upright undisturbed for a long time and then pour carefully inot a glass trying no to disturb sediment.
    Rack the brew into a second fermenter after 2 weeks in primary this lets a lot of the yeast in the end of the primary fermenter.

Advertisement