Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

price of bales

• 05-11-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

how much are bales of silage to buy IN GENERAL this year mchale bales only thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

bought 180 bales delivered from wexford for 15 euros a bale for dry cows and its still too good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

how much are bales of silage to buy IN GENERAL this year mchale bales only thanks

country is full of feeding , you shouldnt need to pay more than fifteen euro unless the upcoming winter lasts untill may

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭goondakid

leg wax wrote: »
    bought 180 bales delivered from wexford for 15 euros a bale for dry cows and its still too good for them.

Buying bales at tat price and if there that good a quility is well wort it because the lad sellin is doin himself out of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Don't forget RAGWORT when buying baled silage. They could be the most expensive silage your ever bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

as in made by a mchale bailer? if so why only mchale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

sold silage baled with a mchale f550 for €20 delivered about 100 yards. (Its fully ragworth free) .

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

as in made by a mchale bailer? if so why only mchale?

more silage in a mchale esp a fusion wanted 2 get a standard unit of measurement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

more silage in a mchale esp a fusion wanted 2 get a standard unit of measurement

would it not depend on what density the driver has set his baler to, mchale or otherwise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

would it not depend on what density the driver has set his baler to, mchale or otherwise ?

Yes it would. If a lad is going to sell the silage he will often make "auction bales".

in general i am talking about thanks

• Advertisement

true. but the guy making the bales has a lot to do with the amount that goes in! I would be more worried about the quality of the bales than the size. we bought 20-30 bales a few years ago, the smell would knock you over when the bales were opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

irishh_bob wrote: »
    country is full of feeding , you shouldnt need to pay more than fifteen euro unless the upcoming winter lasts untill may

Every winter lasts till may around here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

true. but the guy making the bales has a lot to do with the amount that goes in! I would be more worried about the quality of the bales than the size. we bought 20-30 bales a few years ago, the smell would knock you over when the bales were opened.

I hope the poor quality was reflected in the price? I think it's a dirty act selling sh*t onto lads for full wack. Do unto others..... and all that. Bags of water or sour aftergrass is no good to any man or beast.

Muckit wrote: »
    I hope the poor quality was reflected in the price? I think it's a dirty act selling sh*t onto lads for full wack. Do unto others..... and all that. Bags of water or sour aftergrass is no good to any man or beast.

oh no, 20 euro a bale, with twine, unchopped. cant remember the year exactly, i think it might have been march 08. Sour aftergrass is exactly what it was and full of water. if you didnt have golves taking off the twine you had the smell of sour silage in your hands for a day or two. had to just leave the bales at the feeders in the shead and allow the cows to pick at it, as it was unchopped it was a disaster to feed out

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Plenty of bales in Galway for €15 collected
    Really hard to buy wrapped bales - like buying a pig in bag :o
    You’d really want to buy as local as possible & have seen them wrapped or have a return policy based on quality.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It's worth paying the extra bit for buying what you know alright. Buying them local means that you can draw a few and try them out before committing to the rest.

20 euro for a fusion bale so

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

yes the guy making them has a lot to do with the size of the bales i pack the **** out of all mine that i make when you let the bale out of the chamber you can hear the load coming off the 140 hp tractor. one field a lad had that i made bales for this year usually had round 60 in one field this year he had something like 35 with the exzact same crop as the year before usually contractors dont pack them and i dont blame them as they have big bill to pay at the end of the year. yes if anyone looking i have 150 bales made from a f550 for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

got caught with our contractor this year, usually do al pit but baled around five acres of aftergrass this year. supposedly chopped but only four or five of them were the rest were impossible to fork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

What length are they chopped to approximately?
    Most of ours made with an f550 and a jd578...I presume they are chopped seem to kinda fall apart when opening with the loader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

our f550 has 15 knifes and it says that roughfly that the size chopped is 65 mm

How much are MCHALE bales IN GENERAL this year thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i would judge the quality of the grass in side the bale first and not the machine that made it , I know a lad thats selling silage bales full of rushes made by a mchale baler if that suits u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Fellas seem to be going off in tangents here..... €15 for a Mchale fusion bale this year IN GENERAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

1chippy wrote: »
    got caught with our contractor this year, usually do al pit but baled around five acres of aftergrass this year. supposedly chopped but only four or five of them were the rest were impossible to fork.

they dont want to bother chopping to save on diesel , its only a matter of sharping the blades every few days or replacing the blades for about 300 euro , it was this issuse i got into round baling 6 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

we,ll agree twenty euro collected mchale bales. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Don't know what you fella think, but if I got bales deliveredfor up to €21, which I was sure were good quality, I would be happy to buy, instead of making my own.

By the time I have paid for fertilzer, contractor, plastic, drawing them in, and factor in the opportunity cost of high quality summer grazing, I reckon the true cost of a bale is €22 minimum. :confused:

Nobbies wrote: »
    we,ll agree twenty euro collected mchale bales. :)
    thanks

6480 wrote: »
    i would judge the quality of the grass in side the bale first and not the machine that made it , I know a lad thats selling silage bales full of rushes made by a mchale baler if that suits u
    :confused::rolleyes::(

• Advertisement
Advertisement