Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas baking..what yah making?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Have you got your mincemeat done?

No idea what to bake this year, what's everyone else making for their Xmas day dessert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have my Christmas cakes made, after that I'm not sure. I always make a strawberry cheesecake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

making a lighter fruitcake then usual and maybe some gingerbread houses:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've cakes made, will be making some chocolate biscuit cake Christmas cakes, gingerbread cookies to decorate with sugarpaste, and will be making tiramisu for Christmas day, to go with my mom's amazing trifle, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

the original stork christmas pudding ,like my mum made

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Me, I'll be making seriously amazingly chocolatey brownies and chocolate chip cookie cake on Christmas Eve. My mom does the traditional Christmas desserts (pudding, etc.) in advance, and she'll probably do a pavlova on Christmas Eve also. Seriously cannot wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Ive never liked Christmas cake or pudding. I just dont think its sweet enough :rolleyes: So I plan on doing a nice carrot cake, a baileys tiramisu, a chocolate biscuit cake and I am also going to make some ginger snap cookies. These treats always go down really well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Gingerbread house for the kids- they love it! Gingerbread biscuits for the grown ups, half iced with green & black's maya gold, the other half with lemon icing with coconut sprinkled over (they last for ages too). A small cake with loads of homemade marzipan, with extra to stuff dates with. Mince pies (made the mince in July!). Plum pudding. Will probably do a swop with a friend for a sherry trifle too and another friend is doing fudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I'm making brownies for myself as a Christmas treat, I'm buying a small cake from an artisan baker friend for my mum (she likes Christmas cake, I don't).

And I'm making snickerdoodles and lebkuchen for the boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yum Lebkuchen is the best!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Acoshla wrote: »
    I've cakes made, will be making some chocolate biscuit cake Christmas cakes, gingerbread cookies to decorate with sugarpaste, and will be making tiramisu for Christmas day, to go with my mom's amazing trifle, can't wait!

Choc biscuit cake never works for me :( Have you a good, simple recipe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I started off with the Odlums recipe and have just tweaked it barely (leave out raisins/nuts depending on my mood!), but yeah, that recipe is great I find, what problems have you been having with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Choc biscuit cake never works for me :( Have you a good, simple recipe?

My mum has been making it from this recipe for years and it's so simple and yum.

200g dairy milk
    4oz butter
    10 oz rich tea biscuits
    1 tin condensed milk

Sorry for the mix of g and oz! Just have it written down like that.

Anyway just break up the choc into pieces, put that, the milk and butter into a saucepan. Melt over a low/medium heat stirring all the time.
    Break up the biscuits roughly, and when chocolate mix is fully melted together stir in the biscuits.
    Then stick it in the fridge to set. Simples!
    I find it handy to line the tin I use with tinfoil and once it's set the tinfoil peels off easily and means when you cut it it's not stuck to the tin.

Advertisement