Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbonation drops not giving great carbonation.

Options
  • 05-11-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

I've been using Coopers Carbonation Drops where I will put 2 drops into each
    500ml ox-bar bottle when bottling.

After about 6-7 weeks when I goto open a bottle and pour it into a pint glass
    you get the initial "fizz" but once the drink settles down after a min or two
    the carbonation seems to just die off and the drink tastes flat.

Is this normal for home brew?

I've not tried mini-kegging yet and not tried these other methods such as
    using CO2 ampules to carbonate the brew so wondering if this method would be better than using priming sugar or drops.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

I'm no expert, but I'm just wondering if it's the bottles that are to blame? I've only completed two brews so far, but my first (in the ox-bar bottles) hasn't carbonated yet, whereas my second (glass bottles + crown caps) was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

bullets wrote: »
    carbonation seems to just die off and the drink tastes flat.

Is this normal for home brew?

I havent mastered the art of bottle priming yet but thats certainly not 'normal' for homebrew. You can get perfectly carbonated beer with good head retention. Is there any chance that the bottles were stored a too low a temp to continue fermenting?

L

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Definitely not in my case. How bout you, Bullets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I keep mine in the Kitchen in a carboard box not sure what the temperature was but I doubt it would have been too low.

I'm mainly been trying cider so I'd not really be looking for a head like you'd
    want on beer.

I get pretty good carbonation as in there is LOTS of fizz and gas when you initially pour the drink into a pint glass and with the Cider and after only pouring half the bottle in, there a lots of bubble and a frothy head which disappears/settles after a few seconds. The problem I'm having is although
    it tastes fine at the first sip or two, but the gas quickly escapes from the liquid once poured.

If I pour a pint of bulmers etc into a pint glass, it tends to retain its bubbles
    but looking at my home brew in a pint glass it looks like they are racing to their freedom.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I had similar pproblem but it was just that my bottles were stored too cool.

My carbonation has slowed right down again now as our house is 16-17deg now as it gets cooler outside. We have a brew belt on constantly on the fermenter and it's keeping it at a level 21deg. Will need to figure out how to add a bit of heat to the bottles press, it's already between the fridge and the oven.

• Advertisement
Advertisement