Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy question

• 05-11-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

We got a gorgeous 8 week old pup Wednsday and this is just about discipline for a pup that age.

She's been chewing chairs and stuff like that and when she gets older I know she will be able to cause more damage. Now I was thinking we should scold her when she does so to nip it in the bud but my dad feels we should when she is older and actually causing damage and everyone seems to agree.

So I was just wondering if Im overreacting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

this is the perfect time to teach her "ah-ah". pay close attention to this word as it will save you many times in the coming years :D

rather than scolding, next time she chews lift her away from the furniture with a very assertive "ah-ah" from you. you can add a loud clap if you feel your voice doesnt catch puppy's attention enough. then bring her to a chew toy and praise the bejaysus out of her when she takes it. repeat until all is good (this can take some time so be patient!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You need to stop that behaviour now, as the older the dog gets the harder it is to stop it. When the pup is doing something like chewing something you dont want it to, say "ah ah" or "no" in a firm voice to distract the pup and maybe give it something like a toy to chew on instead.

You can get anti chew spray or use something like tea tree oil or vicks on the edge of skirting boards etc if they are chewing that kind of stuff as it can stop them as it doesnt taste very nice.

But you def need to stop this now, the sooner you start training it the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Wildebrian

Pups tend to chew as it develops their jaws,cleans thier teeth etc.Get som hardish but chewable toys and progress up to Bones from your Butcher.Enjoy her but dont scold her for doing what comes naturally.Remember Humans think like humans Dogs don't .

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Hi, congrats on your new puppy, i believe you should start now I dont mean hit the pup but if you see the pup doing something bad then correct him verbally or remove from the area, I find citronella oil is an excellent deterrent if u wanna discourage chewing, rub the oil anywhere u don't want him to chew, it's a very strong smell but it works.

The first few months are so important for discipline so give the pup boundaries, like is he going to be allowed in certain rooms in the house, can he sit on the couch, etc... Set these rules and stick by them. Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

Oh god I would never hit her! Just tell her bold :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Oh god I would never hit her! Just tell her bold :)

Ah I know I'm just saying incase ppl think that's what I mean by discipline :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The pup is teething and needs to chew on something so you need to give her alternatives - I got these for my guy when he was a baby and he chewed them instead of the house :pac: - http://www.nylabone.com/product-finder/my-pet-is/dog-puppy/puppy-teething-keys.htm. He's two now and has big boy nylabones :pac: Other things you can try freezing a wet facecloth, carrots, ice cubes.

Advertisement