Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bay leaves

Options
  • 05-11-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

I cant seem to find bay leave in the supermarkets i go to ( Dunnes & Tescos) I've looked in the herbs & spices sections & the the veg sections where they have fresh herbs. Am I looking in the wrong places, they cant be that hard find! Have you bought them in Dunnes or Tescos.

Ps the staff were not a great help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They are usually with the herbs in my local SuperValu. Mind you, my Mum has a 25 foot bay tree in her back garden so I've never had to buy them - I just whip off a branch every now & then.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

I got a huge bag of them from the Oriental Emporium in Jervis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I buy them in Tesco.

Sharwoods, Goodalls and Tesco brands are usually in stock, with the dried herbs and spices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

I got nice ones in Fallon & Byrne, 11- 17 Exchequer Street if your around town. My local Tesco always has them too tho' .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just as a matter of interest - how much do they cost & for how many?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

I don't remember to be honest , but I am price weary so they mustn't have been expensive (unusual for f+b) ... I just had a look at them .. 10g and the brand is Suma ... the packet is quite full. Next time I'm in there I'll check the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Just checked my receipt, i bought some yesterday in Tesco, they were Shwartz brand 1.39 for a 6G box of them. Theres prob about 12-15 leaves in it. x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

ask your family and friends. a lot of people have a bay tree in the back garden as they grow great in our climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Most of the supermarkets sell small bayleaf plants in with the other growing herbs in the fruit and veg section. Just pot up the plant every couple of years in a larger pot if you don't have a garden to plant it out in. Haven't had to buy bay leaves for 20 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

A large bag was really inexpensive at Oriental Emporium -- there are probably at least 75 leaves in the bag and it was around 2 - 3 euro from what I remember...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Il have to change where i buy them after reading this thread!

I usually get organic bay leaves in my local butcher. About 10-12 leaves and it cost me about 2.50. Were very nice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Every second shop has a bayleaf plan in a pot at the door.
    Now I'm not suggesting stealing or anything but.......;)

Advertisement