Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strongman sessions?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of any sessions going on in Dublin? The sort of sessions based on things like Farmer's Walk, log or stone lifts, tyre flipping etc.

Failing that, anyone interested in getting together in a group for that kind of session? I'm not pretending to be strong enough to do the events justice, but it's a kind of training I enjoy so I'll happily be the lightweight of the group.

I'm not thinking of a club or anything organised, or any money changing hands, just a casual thing, maybe once a month or so, any old empty carpark, beach or football field for a venue, with whatever gear, imagination and ingenuity people fancy bringing along.

Any takers? Let me know on thread or PM.

Cheers,

KD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Ironside on the south side, Clontarf strongman club on the northside if it's still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Rockfitness in dundrum are going to be holding strongman classes pretty soon too.

Only thing is that its done on the grass behind the gym so not sure how well its going to work considering the season we are going into.

Looks like they bought some of Ironsides old gear:

photouc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Vis Vires, a member on this forum co-runs Spartan Training Centre who do strongman classes. Link noted below.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spartan-Training-Centre/123036997782459]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

rubadub wrote: »

That looks like Iornsides stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Cos it is.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Cos it is.

Are they putting less emphasis on strongman training or did they just have an abundance of gear?

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Are they putting less emphasis on strongman training or did they just have an abundance of gear?

A lot of it is still there and strongman sessions still take place.
    I can't speak for the lads, I only train there.
    Its still a feckin great gym.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    A lot of it is still there and strongman sessions still take place.
    I can't speak for the lads, I only train there.
    Its still a feckin great gym.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Mauricmo wrote: »

Yeah it pretty much that we had too much still have super yoke, atlas stones car deadlift logs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

daveyc21 wrote: »
    Yeah it pretty much that we had too much still have super yoke, atlas stones car deadlift logs etc.

Sweet as

Somebody in the beer forum was asking for a keg and got one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056444942

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I'd thanks you twice if I could, 'cos I am now the unexpected and happy owner of a lifting log :D

On a general note, that so far means that between the people who've expressed an interest, we'll have Farmer's Walk handles, a Prowler, a lifting log, a tyre that was surely designed for flipping, pulling harness, rope ideal for rowing heavy objects and a man is currently welding together an iron cross for me. That's taken a week to collect, God knows what we'll end up with given time.
    I've a few venues in mind, sort of central Dublin, some Northside, close to the M50, but it's a moveable feast open to suggestions. The idea is to have out-and-out strength sessions with the emphasis on going heavy (whatever that means for anyone who joins in), rather than some of the "strongman" sessions that seem to be aimed at fighters, field games etc. It's an attempt to provide a complement to and break from the regular gym/club environment.
    If anyone wants to join in, please, feel free. You won't be the weakest there, that position is taken :)

Sounds good, I would like a go on all the stuff but imagine I would be knackered after 5mins. I could bring along some toys I have made too. Probably not till the weather is warmer again so I can cycle out.

I had brought down some big burlap sacks to the beach and filled with sand & stones before, its handy having weight already at the destination, which will not be nicked. I also still want to make a leverage device, using small weights which require massive force to lift.

If you have any equpiment you have seen that you plan on making let me know, I may have some ideas & materials.

Sounds good, I would like a go on all the stuff but imagine I would be knackered after 5mins. I could bring along some toys I have made too. Probably not till the weather is warmer again so I can cycle out.

I had brought down some big burlap sacks to the beach and filled with sand & stones before, its handy having weight already at the destination, which will not be nicked. I also still want to make a leverage device, using small weights which require massive force to lift.

If you have any equpiment you have seen that you plan on making let me know, I may have some ideas & materials.

If it's a good 5 mins, better that than a bad hour :) I wouldn't worry about that, I'd be mostly aiming for a slow pace, going heavy, but heavy is relative and the gear is variable weight.

I will indeed talk ideas with you, be glad to swap skills for building stuff. I was of the same mind about the sandbags at the beach, very handy.

If the weather is only off-putting for the cycling issue, PM me and let me know where you are - the sessions can move anywhere that suits people and if it's en route or close enough, I'm happy to offer lifts.

You'd be grand.
    You build up the weights, just like any other loaded exercise.

Barring accidents and upsets, the first session of this should be next Sat morning, somewhere in central-ish Dublin and it's 4-6 of us so far. All welcome at any standard of fitness, experience or strength. PM if you're interested and I'll get back to you with details.

Cheers,

KD

rte 2 in half an hour
    20:00 Ireland's Strongest Man 2011
    Twelve competitors battle it out over two days in Derry City for the Finn McCool trophy, competing in events including the tyre flip, the overarm rope pull and the deadlift hold. Hosted by Glenn Ross.

I was out driving past a building site today and chanced me arm asking for one of the slightly irregular oblong blocks of granite they had lying around. It's about the size of my torso (I'm just over 6' and just under 16 stone) and it weighs about 60-70kg.
    Carrying it 25m to the car was the best workout I've had in a while and it's now addded to the gear for these sessions, to be carried and loaded, pressed or whatever ideas people can conjure up for it.

There are 7 of us set to be out on Sat morning at 1030/1100 (though I know a couple of them may not make it). We can still accomodate more I'm sure, so if anyone else is interested, please feel free to PM me and I'll give you the details.

5 of us got out this morning and had our first go at this and a great session was had.

We started with Farmer's Walk, doing laps of a c. 40m course against the clock, working up to a 160kg total. That was a good total to be carrying - over twice the bodyweight of a couple of the lads - and a steep learning curve for us all on managing it over distance. We then went for distance and for sheer forearm burning there's little to match it. The last rep was over a 60m course, against the clock. Some quick times posted, with the winner going under 20 secs in spite of carrying almost his own bodyweight in each hand. Great fun and a tough event.

Log lift was up next. 55kg for reps after we worked through some practise with the shape and hand position that was new to us all, with the best effort coming to an impressive 16. We upped the weight to 75kg. What a difference 20kg makes on an awkward shape and we'll be coming back at the log for more work.

We finished on the Prowler and sled with a harness, against the clock. Some good quick times posted and tight competition with both. There's nothing quite like a Prowler to stop you in your tracks when you're starting to hurt.

All in all, a great session - good fun, everyone helping each other and a tough workout. We'll be going again in 2 weeks. We can still accomodate more people (if people bring equipment, we can accomodate lots) and the venue only costs €5 each for the whole day, with showers and a gym if you want to do more afterwards.

Thanks to the lads who turned out, it was an even better session than I'd hoped for when I started the thread.

KD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

like kevin said , a really good session this morning, im starting to feel the pain now though! it was great to get a feel of the equipment especially the log, totally different to using an
    oly bar.
    hats off to kevin for getting the ball rolling, im looking forward to the next one already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Sorry I couldn't make this in the end, sounds like it went great! Defo try to make the next one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

G86 wrote: »
    Sorry I couldn't make this in the end, sounds like it went great! Defo try to make the next one :)

I can highly recommend it it. Thanks to everyone for letting me use their stuff. Great fun.

G86 wrote: »

No need to be sorry, you just have to do twice the session in 2 weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Thanks to Kevin for organising this yesterday & to the punters at Morton for allowing us to use their facility. If anybody else is interested in attending the next session everything can be scaled. If your also looking at mixing up your conditioning you cant beat farmers walks & also the use of a prowler. Beats the boredom of a treadmill at least! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just don't rob 4 of the bloody 10kg plates for farmers walks when there's only 6 of em!!!

Met Squod, held the door for others...

Hi all, we'll be going at this again this coming Sat, with log-press, Farmer's Walk, tyre-flipping and all the Prowler you can eat.

We'll be kicking off a 1000 at Morton Stadium. Anyone who fancies joining us is more than welcome, just drop me a PM. Standard of fitness or strength not imortant, enthusiasm will get you further and we can vary weights or assist lifts as needs be.

Hi all, we'll be going at this again this coming Sat, with log-press, Farmer's Walk, tyre-flipping and all the Prowler you can eat.

We'll be kicking off a 1000 at Morton Stadium. Anyone who fancies joining us is more than welcome, just drop me a PM. Standard of fitness or strength not imortant, enthusiasm will get you further and we can vary weights or assist lifts as needs be.

even for the compulsary 1500m double bodyweight farmers walk initiation challenge for newbie's ?

Unfortunately, we've had to cancel this for this weekend. It's just the wrong weekend for a few reasons, but the sessions will happen again asap.

• Advertisement

GASMANN wrote: »
    even for the compulsary 1500m double bodyweight farmers walk initiation challenge for newbie's ?
    Unfortunately, we've had to cancel this for this weekend. It's just the wrong weekend for a few reasons, but the sessions will happen again asap.

i was only joking...

Advertisement