Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pups

• 05-11-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi, I recently bought a pure bred Shih Tzu, pup Both parents are ikc reg but they didnt register this litter is dere any way i could register this pup thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

No only the breeder can register the pups.

I am guessing here but I would say the reason they didn't register the litter is becausethey have bred the mother too much. You can only register 6 litters per bitch between ages 2&6 (I think, i don't know an awful lot about IKC)

Edit: where did you find the breeders details?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

im thinkin the same thing but as i only bought her as a pet i still would like the option to let her have i litter wen she is about 2-3 years old i have no proof she is a pure pure bred to other people

TillyGirl wrote: »
    No only the breeder can register the pups.

I am guessing here but I would say the reason they didn't register the litter is becausethey have bred the mother too much. You can only register 6 litters per bitch between ages 2&6 (I think, i don't know an awful lot about IKC)

Edit: where did you find the breeders details?
    i saw the pup on done deal ive seen both parents also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh dear.... No, you cannot register the pup, only the breeder can do this. Why werent they registered by the breeder?? This would send alarm bells straight away and even more so when you say you "want to let her" have a litter. There is no need for you dog to just have a litter, the best thing you can do is neuter her when she is old enough.

I very much doubt the breeder is any good, if the pups arent registered.

When will people ever learn....:(

vanessamee wrote: »
    im thinkin the same thing but as i only bought her as a pet i still would like the option to let her have i litter wen she is about 2-3 years old i have no proof she is a pure pure bred to other people
    If you bought her as a pet then there is absolutely no need to breed from her whatsoever, so keep her as a pet and spay her when shes old enough. I would be seriously questioning why the breeder didnt register the pups, theres usually a bad reason for this...

• Advertisement

i have 3 girls already which i got sprayed i ave young kids so my dogs are all nw 8 years old and nt as playful as the used to be, so i would like puppies some day and all my 3 girls are ikc reg but i fell in love with this one that the papers werent an issue til now i grow up with a houseful of dogs an i adore them,

Aaaahhh text speak!!!

Why didnt the breeder register the pups? Why dont you ask the breeder to register the puppy for you?

If you want puppies then buy one, please do not breed. There are enough back yard breeders and puppy farmers out there already without adding to the problem.

i did ask them but i got i ****e answer, i was smitten with her at dat stage i dnt want to breed her to sell the puppies i will be keepin them all myself, like its just an idea i mite never let her have puppies,,sorry so used of txtin i forget to write proper

plus im far from a back yard farmer some of them should be shot but i knw wat ur sayin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

i did ask them but i got i ****e answer, i was smitten with her at dat stage i dnt want to breed her to sell the puppies i will be keepin them all myself, like its just an idea i mite never let her have puppies,,sorry so used of txtin i forget to write proper

plus im far from a back yard farmer some of them should be shot but i knw wat ur sayin

So if your dog has 5 pups you going to keep them all? Including the 4 dogs you already have. :confused: A back yard breeder is someone who breeds only a small amount of pups or indeed as a once off but without health testing or showing their dog to ensure the dog is healthy (genetically speaking not just a once over by a vet) and a good example of the breed, they may do it for money or just for the sake of having a few pups but either way they cannot ensure that they have done their damned hardest to make sure the pups they are bringing into this already over populated (dog-wise) country are the healthiest they could possibly be. The country is awash with average pet dogs (not meant in any way to belittle average pet dogs, I own a mongrel myself), both purebred and mixed breed that are put down every single day so why bring more into the world.

But to answer your original question, no only the breeder can register the pup. You can try contacting him and asking him to register your pup but I highly doubt you will get anywhere as often there is a reason for not registering them (it only costs €13 I think so pennies really) which is either the bitch was too old or too young (and I think there may be an age limit on the sire too) or he has already registered too many litters off her. If either of these are the case then I would highly recommend getting pet insurance now as this is not a good breeder and he will not have done any health tests and quite possibly your pup could develop a problem in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Vanessamee - text speak is not allowed on boards because it makes things very difficult to read and understand. Please write your sentences clearly and properly.
    If anyone has an issue, report the post please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Op I don't understand how you think you are in a position to breed a litter of pups ethically when you didn't even have the know how to source your current pup from a reputable place.
    Don't be under the impression that a backyard breeder is just someone who breeds repeatly from a bitch in a dingy shed, a backyard breeder is also someone (even with the best intentions) breeds without consideration for type, temperament & health.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dresstoimpress

If you were planning on keeping any possible future pups, why would you need to prove to anyone that they are pure bred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

This ('I want a litter from her') is the sort of stupidity that results in thousands of dogs being euthanised and abandoned all over this country. Get your new puppy neutered when she's old enough- aside from not adding to the huge population problem in Ireland, she'll be healthier and likely to live longer since her risk of mammary cancer is lower.

ye are al missing the point here i never said i was going to actually breed her i have 3 other shihtzus which i never bred i understand what ye are saying but im not a back yard breeder, my dogs dont even live out side and the are all nutered since they were young and i prob will nueter this pup also, sorry i bothered even starting this thread :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, a backyard breeder is simply a person who has little knowledge about breeding or how to determine if a dog is suitable to breed from with no consideration given to health and genetic make-up of the breed. Living outdoors or indoors is irrelevant in this. You shouldn't hand over money for an unregistered pup, because for all you know it could be inbred to death, its parents could even be brother and sister, parent and son/daughter. If you are going to be getting another pup in the future there is lots of helpful advise in this thread. This is all people are trying to explain to you but perhaps its not being communicated in the best way for you to understand.

Anyone who is buying a pedigree pup should also make themselves familiar with the problems associated with the breed that are passed genetically. Any dog that is going to be bred from (males and females) should have tests done to see if they carry any of these problems, very few don't have any problems and if they do, they should not be bred from. Ultimately constant breeding from untested dogs results in the breed becoming a huge mess rife with temperament, mental and physical health issues. There are literally no breeds left that are unaffected by serious problems as a result of this happening for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Very eloquently put AJ:)

OP chances are the bitch was over bred and so cannot be registered. Otherwise, there really shouldn't be any problem getting the papers.

If you are interested in getting a puppy or 6 down the line, there's always an abundance of them in rescues who would just love to be taken home and join your family:)

ye are al missing the point here i never said i was going to actually breed her i have 3 other shihtzus which i never bred i understand what ye are saying but im not a back yard breeder, my dogs dont even live out side and the are all nutered since they were young and i prob will nueter this pup also, sorry i bothered even starting this thread :mad:

What point are we missing?

You said your dog isnt registered and you wanted to know how you can register her (which you cant) because you want to breed from her in the future, so tell us, what point are we supposed to be missing??:confused:

maybe it didnt explain my self correctly or give enough info lily was advertised as IKC reg,, when my husband and kids went to see her, they fell in love with her she was the last pup with them and the mammy also, we also seen the dad a couple of miles away so we went back to the breeders house to have a chat and hand over moey my kids were left playing with her,, they did give me papers but when my husband and sat down at home the papers were for the parents of lily which were copies,we rang them and said this to the owners, who said they cpouldnt afford to register the pups, to be honest they seemed very geniune and i really was smitten with her as my kids were also, i never actually said i was going to breed her it was only an idea as my dogs are 8 yrs old and they dont have any interest in my kids any more they just want to be left alone,, my dogs are all bitches and nuetered since they were 8mts old, my dogs are well cared for and well minded i would never put my dogs in jeopardy or any danger, and i totally understand what ye are all saying... but dont paint everyone with the same brush,,,,,,, before would even consider etting any dog have pups i would do alot of research first,,,

Sorry but that breeder is talking crap. Its costs feck all to register the pups. About 13euro a pup. How old was the mother and how much did the breeder charge you for the pup?

I dont buy this crap from breeders and they sound like puppy farmers to me, if thats the kind of answer you were given and the fact you were givent the mothers papers, looks like they were trying to fob you off by giving you the papers of the mother.

If the pups were advertised as IKC reg then i would not let this go with the breeder.
    Is the pup microchipped? As all dogs have to be chipped to be registered with the IKC. Did you get a vaccination card with the pup? You really need to do a lot more research before buying a puppy so you know exactly what to look for.
    I would have walked away when the bloody so called breeder told you he couldnt afford to register the pups, alarm bells straight away!!

• Advertisement

Vanessa breeding pups SHOULD cost a lot of money if it's done properly. Vaccinations, microchiping, vet bills, health screening, food, materials for making nest, toys etc. not to mention the work and effort!

The actual fee for registering them would be minute in comparison to all the other costs so if they couldn't afford that, it makes me wonder how well the pups were cared for throughout the birth and until they were sold.

It definately sounds like they straight up lied to you about the papers. If they were *genuine* and couldn't afford it, why would they have sent you off home under false pretences with the mothers papers?

Unfortunately, many back yard breeders/puppy farms rely on someone "falling in love" with the pups and buying them without asking questions or gettin the relevant paperwork:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Another trick they use is saying there is only one pup left. And another one is having the "father" on show a few miles away (probably sent there for an hour to the neighbour's house)

Honestly, there are so many dodgy "breeders" out there. As a groomer I see pups and dogs coming to me every day that people have been conned into buying. "Bichons" that are actually westie crosses, "shihtzus" that are half bred with something else. Cavaliers with all sorts of health problems. It absolutely infuriates me, and people don't like hearing that they have not actually got a bichon or whatever they were led to believe they have bought. It doesn't take from the cuteness of the dog and it is still loved as much but it is just total deceipt and fraud on behalf of the seller.

Seriously, if you want cute and fluffy, believe you me, you will find it in either a proper breeder's set up, fully vaccinated, documented and properly registered, or in one of many rescues.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but that breeder is talking crap. Its costs feck all to register the pups. About 13euro a pup. How old was the mother and how much did the breeder charge you for the pup?

I dont buy this crap from breeders and they sound like puppy farmers to me, if thats the kind of answer you were given and the fact you were givent the mothers papers, looks like they were trying to fob you off by giving you the papers of the mother.

If the pups were advertised as IKC reg then i would not let this go with the breeder.
    Is the pup microchipped? As all dogs have to be chipped to be registered with the IKC. Did you get a vaccination card with the pup? You really need to do a lot more research before buying a puppy so you know exactly what to look for.

also we didnt realise the papers were lilys parents till we got home

I would have walked away when the bloody so called breeder told you he couldnt afford to register the pups, alarm bells straight away!!

the mother is five and the dad is six, i got her vaccination card, and i paid 350 for her i have 3 other shih tzus that i bought in the same manner and they are all IKC reg, plus i havent bought a pup in 8 years so i was a bit rusty to be honest but the mother was in great condition looked very healthy and interacted with us all and lily like wise, i honestly felt that the were very genuine their kids seemed so happy playing also with lily and her mammy and both dogs were great with my kids as i ave a three year old and 1 year old who at times can be heavy handed.

also we didnt realise the papers were lilys parents till we got home

If they charged 350 for the pup, then why couldnt they register it?? You really have to be more careful when buying a puppy, did it not make you think twice when they said they couldnt afford to register the pups?

Have you questioned the breeder as to why the pups were falsely advertised as IKC registered?? I would make sure i either got my money back or make him register the pup for you, i wouldnt let this lie, the breeder is dodgy and making a fortune on pups while telling people the pups are registered when they arent.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry OP, but you have been conned, it's very possible that the papers you have are not even for your pups mother. This is becoming a very common method of misleading people into buying sub-standard pups. Enjoy your dog, get it neutered when old enough and get excellent pet insurance.

i have pet insurance with all my dogs. plus my puppy was added last week, i asked this and as they said i can return lily to them for a full refund but we are attatched to her now so i couldnt possibly return her my kids and i would be heart broken,,, i had her at my vet yesterday for a health check and he said she was a good quailty pup and well cared for,,,,also when i asked him about her being falsely avertised he said they ment both parents were registered not pups is their any way i could find out if both parents are registered or even if they are registered as breeders???

Its a bit late now for all these type of questions. This is all the stuff that should be done before you buy a pup.

If it was me i would bring the dog back and get my money back and teach these people a lesson. Not that it will do much good as im sure they will find some other gullible person to buy their puppies.

It doesnt matter if both parents are registered as you cant register the pup anyway. So unless the breeder is going to do this then there is nothing you can do. Why dont you ask the breeder to register your pup for you? All they have to do is send off some paperwork if the parents are registered. Its really not that difficult. I would push the breeder to do this if it was me.

You dont have to be registered as breeders so that doesnt make any difference either.

my husband is ringing them in the morn well i didnt ask these questions as i taught ever thing was legit like,,,, i have asked him and he has said no ive even offered to pay for it myself but he said he has to register the whole litter,,,,

Well then tell him you want the pup registered or you will report him to the IKC (not that it will do any good).

These breeders must be stopped and the only way is to stand up to them and stop them from selling pups or buying them and creating a demand for badly bred dogs. If people werent buying these dogs then there wouldnt be a market for them in the first place.

• Advertisement

latest is if i want my lily to be registerd i have to pay for the litter and also even though they all have being sold omfg also to have them chipped....

Advertisement