Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the Score with Tuam and traffic delays.

Options
  • 05-11-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭

Was on the Feda ODonnell bus today coming from Bundoran to Galway, the journey went fairly swiftly until we came to Tuam, the bus was stuck in a tailback for over half an hour in the town, a bit of a joke really, why dont they just make the road wider so there is no delays.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dude, you don't know the half of it!

This is due to our "big dig". They are doing 24 hour road works on the Galway Rd/N17 at weekends as they are months behind schedule.

From the one end of Gilmartin Rd to the other, it took 15 mins at 7pm. It usually takes 30 seconds on a normal day. I got out of the car at the top of the road and walked down to the end to my house. Left poor Dad in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

On Friday at 8.15pm it took me 40 minutes to get from Lidl to the 24 hr filling station.
    Meanwhile, traffic coming out of town was being facillitated.
    After about 30 minutes of the awful delay motorists, frustrated by seeing outgoing traffic cruising by, started beeping their horns.
    The excavation crew responded by allowing even more outgoing traffic pass and delayed those incoming by a further 10 minutes.
    By this time the incoming traffic must have been tailed back past Cloonmore Bridge or even much further.
    The outgoing traffic were queued only as far as the Church View/Weir Road traffic lights.

I enquired further into the matter and found that the major cause of the delay was not that the road was reduced to one lane but, wait for it, a lorry parked on the usuable lane while the digger filled it with the excavation material.
    The excavation lane and footpath had enough space for the digger to swing 360 degrees and fill the truck if it was parked in front or behind it.
    As far as i'm concerned, if roadworks have the potential to cause such significant delays, then a Council Official should be present to ensure that motorists, cyclists & pedestrians aren't blackguarded.

Only in Tuam and Claregalway are massive tailbacks tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

bagels wrote: »
    I enquired further into the matter and found that the major cause of the delay was not that the road was reduced to one lane but, wait for it, a lorry parked on the usuable lane while the digger filled it with the excavation material.
    The excavation lane and footpath had enough space for the digger to swing 360 degrees and fill the truck if it was parked in front or behind it.

I have to travel through Tuam on Saturdays. I have seen them do that very thing on three separate occasions- seriously, there is a limited supply of brain cells there!

I have started leaving the car and I take the bus, at least I can read on the bus and ignore the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's just Tuams thing now. I don't see how the whole process could have been handled any worse. It hard to know who's really at fault because there must be fault at every stage of the whole ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Oliver_Ahern

Did anyone else hear that they had messed up laying some cables, and would have to go back and dig it all up again? WTF

We are waiting so long in Tuam there should be a market on the side of the road, do your xmas shopping while driving through:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Tuam business is really suffering because of this, I am living 4 miles out the Clonberne road and I consciously avoided going near the place at the weekend, Claremorris is a bit further away but way handier at the moment.

Any hope of a by-pass has gone up in smoke with the budget predicted to reduce capital spending to a bare minimum i.e. no new road projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Matt the moaner

I have to travel from Ballina in Mayo to Limerick every weekend, and on my return leg i can get from Limerick to Tuam quicker than it took me to get trough Tuam last weekend ahhhhhhhhh is there no dirvertion than would be quicker than 55mins sitting in trafic.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Drove from Dunmore into Galway on Saturday afternoon and it took 50 minutes to get through Tuam which was longer than the whole rest of the journey. We were stuck for 20 minutes at one point without moving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Have to travel to Knock Airport tomorrow from Galway city, how long would it take to get through Tuam say 12 noon, is there a diversion...or should i just divert by Ballinrobe or some where..?

Thats the prob no way round it as far as i know?????????

• Advertisement

Go through Corofin using the Cloonthue Rd. Turn right at Moylough Concrete and turn right again at Gills. Turn right at Keane's shop and you go straight on (I think) through the village and you'll come back out onto the N17.
    You can even go out Athenry Rd and you'll come to Moylough Concrete on your left, just go straight past it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

thanks marsbar, much appreciated !

brutes1 wrote: »
    thanks marsbar, much appreciated !

You can go out to Lackagh and come back over by the Mystical Rose Nursing home too but I don't know how exactly to go that way! I'd rather be driving (or the passenger of a moving vehicle seeing as I don't drive!) and getting lost than be stuck in traffic.

Nice announcement from the Tuam Chambers of Commerce today though,
    After representations from Tuam Chamber of Commerce it has been decided by Galway Co. Co & Coffey Construction to suspend all N17 works for the weekend of the "Tuam Light's UP" festival on the 2nd,3rd & 4th December and for the rest of December to facilitate traffic flow into Tuam Town. We would like to thank our local GCC representative Cllr. Shaun Cunniffe and Coffey's for their understanding on the issues facing our members and we are looking forward to a Free Flowing Magic Month of December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Take
    up
    another
    means-of-travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes, light aircraft aren't nearly as difficult to fly as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Re route from Limerick to Ballina...

Head into Galway and out the Headford Road N84 to Castlebar...

Ignore signs in middle of headford telling you to turn right for castlebar - continue striaght on - much better road...

D

Thats brill, thanks for that info IR555... much better:)

Advertisement