Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restriction for Irish citizens working in UK non-departmental public body

• 05-11-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

I know there isn't anything stopping an Irish citizen from working in the UK, but is there anything stopping you from working for the civil service over there. I filled out an application form for this job (CV/references) and got an invitation for an interview and booked. But I forgot to open an attachment that was in the email.

It says I must "A passport showing you are a British citizen, or have right of abode in the UK" and "A certificate of registration or naturalisation stating that you are a British Citizen."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

I know there isn't anything stopping an Irish citizen from working in the UK, but is there anything stopping you from working for the civil service over there. I filled out an application form for this job (CV/references) and got an invitation for an interview and booked. But I forgot to open an attachment that was in the email.

It says I must "A passport showing you are a British citizen, or have right of abode in the UK" and "A certificate of registration or naturalisation stating that you are a British Citizen."

I think all EU citizens have a right to abode in the UK and Irish people certainly do.

Here is what it says on the MOD website:

"Are there any nationality restrictions for joining the MOD Civil Service?
    Due to the special allegiance to the State necessary to undertake MOD work, nationality restrictions apply to all vacancies. All jobs are open to UK nationals and most jobs are also open to members of the Commonwealth, EEA members and Irish nationals. Other nationals may be considered in exceptional circumstances."

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/EqualityAndDiversity/EqualOpportunitiesInTheCivilServiceFaqs.htm

I dont see any problem for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Green Back wrote: »
    Here is what it says on the MOD website:

"Are there any nationality restrictions for joining the MOD Civil Service?
    Due to the special allegiance to the State necessary to undertake MOD work, nationality restrictions apply to all vacancies. All jobs are open to UK nationals and most jobs are also open to members of the Commonwealth, EEA members and Irish nationals. Other nationals may be considered in exceptional circumstances."

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/EqualityAndDiversity/EqualOpportunitiesInTheCivilServiceFaqs.htm

I dont see any problem for you.

Thanks for that. I didn't think there would a restriction until it was worded like that. I had a look over the company of my next potiential employer, the Environment Agency but couldn't find anything like that. I might drop them an email to be on the safe side.

Thanks for that. I didn't think there would a restriction until it was worded like that. I had a look over the company of my next employer, the Environment Agency but couldn't find anything like that. I might drop them an email to be on the safe side.

Im sure you're have no problem but Im sure the email will give you piece of mind.
    Congrats on getting the job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Well, assuming you're an Irish citizen, then the emboldened part applies to you. It's there in black and white so you seem to be inventing problems where there are none tbh! :p

Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

You have an absolute right of abode in the UK - Ireland and the UK share a "common travel area" - each state recognises people from the other as the same as if from their own, National Security Excepted.

After 3 years residence you may apply for a UK passport, you may vote in elections, and I believe you can run for public office. You can be granted any Honour (remember Sir Bob Geldoff?).

Don't worry about it, and don't get upset when some people don't realise the Republic is a separate state - they don't mean harm, it's more a case of "you are one of our own, unlike the French"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Unless you are going to be working in an area that requires clearances such as UK Eyes Only / NATO Eyes Only or perhaps Top Secret (depends on the caveats around it) then you should have no issue working in a UK government department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

There are no issues whatsoever unless your branch of the civil service is MI5, SIS (MI6) or GCHQ.
    You must be a British citizen to work for the Security Service. One of your parents should be British or have substantial ties to the UK. In the latter instance, substantial ties means that your parent is a citizen of a British Overseas Territory, a Commonwealth citizen, US citizen, EEA citizen, British national or citizen overseas, and they would need to have demonstrable connections with the UK by way of family history or have been resident here for a substantial period of time.

In reality unless you are actually British and can prove strong family ties to the UK you can forget about these branches of the civil service, same goes for certain parts of the foreign office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

r3nu4l wrote: »
    There are no issues whatsoever unless your branch of the civil service is MI5, SIS (MI6) or GCHQ.

In reality unless you are actually British and can prove strong family ties to the UK you can forget about these branches of the civil service, same goes for certain parts of the foreign office.
    I'd imagine that some sections of the above, especially those dealing with counter-terroism would have a small number of non-British employees.

Forgive me, if my post is a result of watching too much Spooks and is more deserving of a place in the Conspiracy Theories forum:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Thanks for all the replies. Got on grand with the interview, not sure how many applied or what my chances where but I gave it my best shot. Strangley after all that they didn't ask any documention from me, no Id/passport/Driving licence.

It even said that i had to show them my NI number, but I didn't see the point since I wasn't actually working in the UK yet and if I'm not mistaken it takes around three weeks to get one which would fit in around the time frame of being offered the job and actually working in the company. Have I got this wrong or should I try and apply for an NI even if I'm not working in the UK or living there? I've a relations address over there I could use to help with this

Thanks again for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You can't apply for one unless you're already there as you have to attend an interview and receive stuff in the post from them. If you can stay with a relative and use their address that would be the easiest solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Strangley after all that they didn't ask any documention from me, no Id/passport/Driving licence.
    Why would they? I’ve been asked for a copy of my passport before starting a new job, but never for an interview – they have no reason to believe you are not who you say you are!
    It even said that i had to show them my NI number, but I didn't see the point since I wasn't actually working in the UK yet and if I'm not mistaken it takes around three weeks to get one which would fit in around the time frame of being offered the job and actually working in the company. Have I got this wrong or should I try and apply for an NI even if I'm not working in the UK or living there? I've a relations address over there I could use to help with this
    Don’t worry about the NI number – it’s not a big deal. Worry about getting a job and finding somewhere to live first, then when you’re settled you can sort out the NI number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Green Back wrote: »
    I think all EU citizens have a right to abode in the UK and Irish people certainly do.

Irish and other CTA citizens have an unusual and beneficial treatment in the UK under the Immigration Act 1971 s9(3) which means that we are not subject to immigration restrictions on arrival. EU citizens (which an Irish person can also assert) are not actually as strong - we each have the right to enter and stay in another EU country for 3 months with very limited restrictions thereafter we need to (theoretically) demonstrate that we are exercising employment rights, self employment rights or can demonstrate economic self sufficiency (including substantial income and comprehensive health insurance). Theoretically, an EU citizen has no recourse to public funds in the host country (Netherlands recently announced the withdrawal of dole from EU citizens) and only acquire permanent residence (ie indefinite leave to remain) after 5 years.

Advertisement