Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem tenant

Options
  • 05-11-2011 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I rented out a property 2mths ago, no fixed term lease, registered with PRTB. I visited property recently and noticed mould, condensation on walls, windows & sills. No heat is on, windows and vents are closed. Tried discussing issue with tenant but made no impact. Any advice what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you're unhappy with the way they're treating your house, and talking to them has made no difference, then you can give 28 days notice in writing for them to vacate.

That of course, brings its own issues with finding a new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lala6

I also have tenants in a property which I have been renting to various tenants for 6 years with no problems and not a spec of mould to be seen. I went in the other day as I noticed there was a lot of condensation on the windows. They basically have not been opening the curtains at all since they moved in 4 months ago and now there is mould on the blinds, curtains and walls. I have cleaned it off and had a word with them about the need to ventilate the place and allow sunlight in daily so hopefully they will cop on. However, I will need to replace the curtains and blinds as they cannot be cleaned - should I be the one to fork out for these replacements??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

lala6 wrote: »
    I will need to replace the curtains and blinds as they cannot be cleaned - should I be the one to fork out for these replacements??
    In my opinion, yes you should replace them.
    It doesn't stipulate in the lease that the tenants must do this or that to maintain the curtains.
    Tenants are unlikely to know automatically, the ventilation/sunlight requirements or standards of your building/apt.

Maybe it's something you should look into tbh it sounds like there is an issue with dampness.

I believe this because the tenants haven't actually done anything to damage the curtains and blinds.
    If the apt/house sat unoccupied for a month or 2 you'd probably have the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

BluePlanet wrote: »
    In my opinion, yes you should replace them.
    It doesn't stipulate in the lease that the tenants must do this or that to maintain the curtains.
    Tenants are unlikely to know automatically, the ventilation/sunlight requirements or standards of your building/apt.

Maybe it's something you should look into tbh it sounds like there is an issue with dampness.

Every dwelling will have a problem with dampness if those living there do not make any provision for ventilation and / or do things like drying clothes on rads, or even in condensor dryers that create humidity.

While I see your point that there isnt a stipulation in the lease about doing this or that to take care of the curtains, equally there isn't a stipulation about a tenant not sticking a finger into a lampholder. You still wouldn't expect them to do it though.

If people are that naive about how to operate a dwelling, it's either because they don't care or should be back with their parents who obviously have done everything for them!

I don't think the landlord should replace the curtains. I think it is likely to happen again regardless of the word having been had and I think it will be enough to change the curtains once...... at the end of the tenancy!

Thanks for your advice peeps. Avensis, I'm especially happy with yours and was thinking along those very lines myself! I did say to them when they moved in that it was necessary to open blinds during the day as some of them are blackout blinds which have rubber in the lining. The mould on the walls is minimal and wiped off easily so I'll just pop in a few times over the next few weeks to keep an eye on it, but the blinds will definately need replacing - when they move out!

• Advertisement

Sorry, that should have read Avns1s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

lala6 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice peeps. Avensis, I'm especially happy with yours and was thinking along those very lines myself! I did say to them when they moved in that it was necessary to open blinds during the day as some of them are blackout blinds which have rubber in the lining. The mould on the walls is minimal and wiped off easily so I'll just pop in a few times over the next few weeks to keep an eye on it, but the blinds will definately need replacing - when they move out!
    At the end of the tenancy, the property should be left in the same condition it was at the beginning of the tenancy less normal wear and tear. Mould is not normal wear and tear - it is usually due to lack of proper ventilation and proper heating. I wouldn't replace anything until the end of the tenancy and you could probably deduct from the deposit.

Check out this thread and posts 18 and 19.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056351823

Advertisement