Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is Iodine in your (vegan) diet?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all.

I have been going from vegetarian to vegan over the last few weeks and hope to be fully vegan by the end of the year. I've been reading the Vegan Society's Animal Free Shopper book and noted that vegans can struggle for sources of dietary iodine. I just wanted to ask how much of a concern it is in one's diet? The book recommends eating seaweed, which is something I haven't done before. I don't want to take any supplements either as I want to be as natural as is realistically possible in how I go about nourishing myself.

So is iodine really essential or should I not be all that worried about it? I eat a very healthy veggie diet as it is with lots of fruit and vegetables. If iodine is very important how should I go about consuming it? How does one eat seaweed anyway??

Lastly, is there anything else a vegan must consume that I may have missed apart from the obvious ones (eg Vit B12, Calcium, etc.)?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

I simply use iodized salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

It's pretty damn important!

Would also recommend iodized salt- you can get it in Lidl.

Have a read of the wiki page here for an overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_deficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Unless of course you have high iodine levels - taking more could be dangerous. +1 on the seaweed in the diet though - we have it everyday in a smoothie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I simply use iodized salt.
    bythewoods wrote: »
    It's pretty damn important!

Would also recommend iodized salt- you can get it in Lidl.

Have a read of the wiki page here for an overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_deficiency[/QUOTE]

Excellent - I'll lok for some of that, even though I'm not a big fan of salt in general.
    Unless of course you have high iodine levels - taking more could be dangerous. +1 on the seaweed in the diet though - we have it everyday in a smoothie.

I was thinking about trying some Japanese recipes, so I can inclde it in that perhaps. I think I'll give the salt a shot though before I try anything too adventurous - I'm no culinary expert in all honest.

Thanks for the help all.

Advertisement