Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I try out my kayak (Dublin/Wicklow area)

Options
  • 05-11-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I bought an inflatable kayak from Lidl a few months ago. I want to try it out and get a feel for how stable it is, what it's like to sit in, how easy it is to paddle, and so on. For this purpose, I preferably want to launch it in a lake or pond (not river or sea).

This morning I decided to take advantage of the fine weather and drove down to Roundwood with the kayak in the boot (as well as a foot pump and life-jacket). When I got there, I found there was a sign saying "No boating without permission". Never mind, I had a nice walk along the lake-shore.

From there I drove up to Lough Dan, but there was no access to the lake-shore from the road.

I drove over the Sally Gap to Lough Bray, but there was a sign saying "Private - No Boating".

So, can anyone suggest a lake or pond in the south Dublin/Wicklow area where I can legally put my kayak in the water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Blessington lakes? Lots of shoreline! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

You could kayak in the canals, no permit required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Gingko wrote: »
    Blessington lakes? Lots of shoreline! :)

Permit required for blessington, and could be dangerous if windy for somebody on the first time in an inflatable boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that the canal might be my best bet. I'm thinking Grand Canal Basin - open and sheltered with good access.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Permit required for blessington, and could be dangerous if windy for somebody on the first time in an inflatable boat.

Not to mention the flooded village under there that likes to claim lives now and again.

OP - Be careful and seek instruction if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

You can't actually get a permit for an inflatable craft on Blessington Lake.
    The canal might be a good place to start as safer if windy.
    Please be careful on open water with an inflatable canoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

I have one of those inflatables, I've used it on rivers in dublin & wicklow.
    I just paddle upstream & come back to where I started, great craic :D

I've found it fairly stable, just don't be going over waterfalls...

Advertisement