Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a motherboard.AM3

Options
  • 06-11-2011 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

the motherboard in my main pc is starting to die a death so i need a new one recommended to me, the old system was a small form factor acer so im going to be transplanting to a case i have lying around, saving the acer for mini itx treatment when i get the main pc up and running again, dont really want to build a new pc yet

processor in the old machine was an athlon II X2, im having a bit of a hard time working out what socket this is, motherboard has am3 written on it but the socket is am2, cpuz says its am3 and some websites call it am2+ which im guessing it is,

theres 2 sticks of ram so only need 2 slots, everything was onboard on the other machine so i sort of need the same again, think the graphics were geforce 9200 so ideally the same or better onboard

it had a miniscule 220 watt psu but ive got an old 20 pin plus 4 processor pin 300 watt psu, should that run a modern board and will it
    be enough?? run 2 hdd's and a dvd drive

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Am2+ and AM3 were cross compatible: ie. You can put a Phenom II into an AM2+ socket even though it's really designed for an AM3. AM3+ is now out now though and it would be advisable to build for that, given that it will work with the newer bulldozer chips, but having said that I suppose it depends on how long you intend to keep the motherboard since most cases if you buy the right CPU the first time it outlasts the usefulness of the board.

Your RAM was likely DDR2: It's basically junk. Unless you want to do a Frankenbuild, but you don't want to do that.

New PSU treat yourself to something decent in the field of 450 to 600 watts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

well, acer tells me its ddr3 anyway but ive a new plan, save the remains of that acer yoke for itx htpc treatment but in the meantime build a new i3 machine

so far ive got

i3 2105
    8GB ram
    Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3 H61
    comes to just under 200 pounds on ebuyer, case and drives will be recycled, psu coming from a friend.

so the question is, will that i3 chip outpreform my old athlon II X2? the athlon did everything i could have wanted but it would still be nice to have a little extra umph for fl studio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

weeder wrote: »
    well, acer tells me its ddr3 anyway but ive a new plan, save the remains of that acer yoke for itx htpc treatment but in the meantime build a new i3 machine

so far ive got

i3 2105
    8GB ram
    Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3 H61
    comes to just under 200 pounds on ebuyer, case and drives will be recycled, psu coming from a friend.

so the question is, will that i3 chip outpreform my old athlon II X2? the athlon did everything i could have wanted but it would still be nice to have a little extra umph for fl studio
    yes, the i3 far outperforms the athlon in all tasks. is your budget £200?

ebuyer doesn't ship to Ireland anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i dont have a set budget as such but 200 is a nice price point, could probs always stretch to a bit more,

Advertisement