Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Byrne's Row, Dundalk?

Options
  • 06-11-2011 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Does anybody know where it would have been?
    I can find a record of it up till 1936 but nothing after, I think it may have been around the Bridge St / Castletown Rd area of the town but not 100% sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Ok...thread not what I expected it to be. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

The Ordnance Survey website has a fantastic historic maps feature.
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,704691,808039,7,9
    Not sure when this one is from but no sign of Byrnes Row unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I did have a look at that but it wasn't listed.
    My sister spoke to somebody and they had heard of it, know where it was but didn't seem to elaborate on it. I know its down Bridge St area but not idea if it was renamed or if its totally gone.
    I would still like to know where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rafferr

Hi Annex,
    It is certainly in the Bridge Street/northern part of the town as Byrnes Row is listed as being part of "Dundalk Urban No. 2" in the 1911 census and this area covers Church Street, Bridge Street, Castletown Road and Fairgreen area of Dundalk.
    I had a look at Harold O'Sillivan's Historic Towns Atlas of Dundalk and there is no reference to Bryne's Row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

rafferr wrote: »
    Hi Annex,
    It is certainly in the Bridge Street/northern part of the town as Byrnes Row is listed as being part of "Dundalk Urban No. 2" in the 1911 census and this area covers Church Street, Bridge Street, Castletown Road and Fairgreen area of Dundalk.
    I had a look at Harold O'Sillivan's Historic Towns Atlas of Dundalk and there is no reference to Bryne's Row.

They have some old maps in Louth County Museum. You might find Byrne's Row on one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

rafferr wrote: »
    Hi Annex,

I had a quick look through the returns for Byrne's Row, wondering if a business premises might turn up, which might help one get a handle on things. Nothing doing. The occupants had low-income occupation like labourer or porter. The 17 houses were all of a type: two-roomed cottages.

It's intriguing that its location can not now be identified.

Advertisement