Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppies

Options
  • 06-11-2011 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Does anybody know anywhere in kilkenny or around locally where you can buy poppies, I have seen a few people around Kilkenny wearing them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

I don't know of anywhere in kk that has them. I got all mine in Belfast at the weekend . Try ringing the British legion in Dublin and they'll send you some or tell you where you can get one ...

www.republic-of-ireland.britishlegion.org.uk/index.cfm?asset_id=1433

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 42 timhorgan

The problem with the Poppy is that it is very much "in your face" in Ireland, and whether we like it or not is, like wearing the Easter Lily, a political statement.
    The trouble is that attention-seekers like Mr.Kevin Myers try to pretend that can set a moral agenda but the vast majority of Irish people are in fact quite indifferent to the wearing of the Poppy or Easter Lily and the proportion of the population who wear either is probably about the same- small and irrelevant.
    But the danger with thelikes of Kevin Myers is that it is the beginning of a slippery slope to joining the Commonwealth etc.

All we have do do to see where this would lead us is to read the laughable letter Myers wrote in the Irish Times last week complaining because he was not given the honorific "Mr". Can you imagine what it would be like if he and his likes were ever given a British honour- no doubt he would have us all curtseying and doffing our hats again.

BTW this is the same ridiculous figure who wore a Royal Irish Regimental tie when he was presented to the Queen by our President. This is extremely bad form and simply not done as he never served with them or any other British regiment- how crass can you get.

A mark of respect

Sir, – In your report on my appearance before the Smithwick Tribunal (Home News, October 29th), after being introduced by my full name, I was thereafter referred to solely by my surname. Aliases aside, no other participant in the Smithwick proceedings (that I can find) has been referred to in your newspaper by surname alone – not even that splendid citizen, Freddie Scapaticci.

How do you justify such studied disrespect towards the very journalist whose columns in your newspaper gave rise to the Smithwick Tribunal in the first place? A neutral reader might easily conclude that, in systematically dispensing with the usual courtesies towards me alone, you were implicitly declaring your judgment on my worth as a witness. Please do not say that your house-style does not accord honorifics to journalists: in your coverage of the anti-government rally of last year led by your columnist Fintan O’Toole, he was referred to throughout as “Mr O’Toole”. – Yours, etc,
    KEVIN MYERS,
    Ballymore Eustace,
    Co Kildare.
    [/SIZE]</H1>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Tim I think the OP just posted because he wanted to know where he could get a poppy, not to instigate a debate on the wearing of it - or have a go at Kevin Myers and any purported agenda. Lots of Irish people have strong links to the British military.

(Love your coffee by the way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Tim, where can I get a poppy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

catbear,
    try the Sinn Fein offices in Gardiner St, they're giving them out for 5c each, or 10 for 49c.

• Advertisement

Thanks Headmaster. BTW, are you the Headmaster that's married to that daughter of yer man Ryan? Got some bad news for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fySixhzCeR8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Thanks Catbear, those were the days and I didn't get into any trouble. If I did itself, Gerry or Martin would have sorted it for me ;)

You must some age now Headmaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 timhorgan

catbear wrote: »
    Tim, where can I get a poppy?

Catbear- If you had no luck with the Poppy console yourself with the National Anthem below- the original and best:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEynAZYZA_U

timhorgan wrote: »
    Catbear- If you had no luck with the Poppy console yourself with the National Anthem below- the original and best:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEynAZYZA_U
    Don't get it. The poppy is to remember those who died in war. German war remembrance day is the always the sunday closest to Nov 16.

Do you have a problem honouring the dead. They didn't die for your entertainment.

Do you spit on peoples graves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Mousehouse wanted to know where they could get poppies, unless someone has information on the location of poppies without being a smartarse, please don't bother posting. I realise it's a bit late now. Also in future if anyone has a problem with British military history or it's remembrance I suggest you post in history, military, politics or After Hours forums, this is community forum for information and advice on local topics. If someone has a something smartarse to say about this post, they'll be banned instantly.
    Thanks.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

I agree with the sentiment above that the Poppy is political and almost facist in nature. Watch almost any British show over these two weeks and you'll notice that all participants are wearing one, but not just that - they have the same one obviously given to them by the show producers. Jon Snow won't wear one. I noticed on the 11th Nov. Channel 4 didn't have him on that day. I wonder was he asked not to come in or did he feel with his opinions that he couldn't present that day?

The problem I have with the Poppy:
    1. It's in your face for two weeks. What other nation does that?
    2. It remembers only those that served with the British Legion and therefore is partisan and biased. That, in my opinion, is not remembrance but it's glorification of war. Are the women and children that have died in Las Malvinas (correct reference, it's not Falklands), Afghanistan, Iraq and even Germany/France not worthy of remembrance too? And also the men that fought for the other side in all wars. Remember them too because they could have been conscripted and happen to end up fighting for that army purely because they happen to be male and born in that country.
    Also, the Poppy doesn't remember the Irish that fought and died fighting the British. It only remembers those that fought in the British army. Therefore, in my view, it is disrespectful to wear one here...

If anything you should be asking where you can get a White Poppy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

alan85 wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment above that the Poppy is political and almost facist in nature. Watch almost any British show over these two weeks and you'll notice that all participants are wearing one, but not just that - they have the same one obviously given to them by the show producers. Jon Snow won't wear one. I noticed on the 11th Nov. Channel 4 didn't have him on that day. I wonder was he asked not to come in or did he feel with his opinions that he couldn't present that day?

The problem I have with the Poppy:
    1. It's in your face for two weeks. What other nation does that?
    2. It remembers only those that served with the British Legion and therefore is partisan and biased. That, in my opinion, is not remembrance but it's glorification of war. Are the women and children that have died in Las Malvinas (correct reference, it's not Falklands), Afghanistan, Iraq and even Germany/France not worthy of remembrance too? And also the men that fought for the other side in all wars. Remember them too because they could have been conscripted and happen to end up fighting for that army purely because they happen to be male and born in that country.
    Also, the Poppy doesn't remember the Irish that fought and died fighting the British. It only remembers those that fought in the British army. Therefore, in my view, it is disrespectful to wear one here...

If anything you should be asking where you can get a White Poppy

I asked for that not to be posted here, take a break.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Keeping on topic, just for a Kilkenny perspective, another recent Kilkenny thread provides an ANZAC database for Kilkenny natives who volunteered in Australia. Some may feel a need to honour the choices of their ancestors.

BTW, the poppy as a warriors memorial can be trace back as far as ancient Rome and was popular in the US during the great depression for veterans day and later adopted by the commonwealth countries.

At the time of Irish independence the poppy was not an issue. Making it one later was a anglo irish political rather than anti war gesture.

Advertisement