Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 - Mod Note 4153

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Johnson?

fair enough, from RB.

but yes, you are correct.

he's one of the other few, but he was around last year, and Kenny's penchant for playing at least a bit higher up the pitch has benefited him greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Henderson has played one or two defence splitting passes as I recall, I'm not sure we should be looking to him for too much in his first season, Adam ought to be the pass master but usually isn't.

Agree with the general thrust of the post, good to see people are willing to question Dalglish's approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Don't you wish at this time you could be an insider and know what's going on in Kenny's Transfer mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gerty wrote: »
    Looks like Everton already have it sown up.

"César David Texeira Torres Chang (born 27 February 1991) is a Uruguayan footballer who plays as a striker for the Welsh club Everton FC.

Everton
    In January, he was transferred to Everton FC for an undisclosed fee, paid for by the record sale of Marouane Fellaini to Real Madrid. He was signed by David Moyes on the recommendation of closet Evertonian Roslagen. He is also a very talented Tennis player an won the Australian Open in 2011 beating former world number 1 Bill Kenwright 6-2 6-3 6-0. He has stated numerous times that his footballing idol is former Manchester United left back Terry De Niro."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Texeira#Everton

Another one gets away.

That brightened me up after all that Jermaine Defoe talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

stick-dan wrote: »
    I agree we got bellers, but as you said he was a free.
    Kuyt is handy to have around because his work ethic may rub off on others, really saddens me that he can't buy a goal lately. He seems to have a mental block about this landmark goal for him :(

Kuyt is very solid at penos imo, maybe should let him take one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The-Rigger wrote: »

I'm always a bit wary of letting people who are struggling to score naturally take penalties. If they miss then their already low confidence could take a massive hit.

Carroll took one against Chelsea and missed and I think it was a mistake to let him take it (unless of course Dalgish picks the penalty taker before the game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm always a bit wary of letting people who are struggling to score naturally take penalties. If they miss then their already low confidence could take a massive hit.

Carroll took one against Chelsea and missed and I think it was a mistake to let him take it (unless of course Dalgish picks the penalty taker before the game).

But Carroll took that one like a bloke who had no idea how to take a penalty
    Dirk has a good record when it comes to penalties so it could be just what he needs to get that confidence back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

He did against Everton. He missed, rather it was an excellent save, but it was a miss nonetheless :/

Dirk has been a legend on penos for us and I always had 100% faith in him, but it would be mad to take Gerrard off penos the way he has been putting them away. Especially considering the amount we missed before he came back.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Dirk has a good record when it comes to penalties so it could be just what he needs to get that confidence back.

Doesn't matter imo.

They best way when it comes to picking penalties is the manager picks someone before the match and he takes it. If he misses then whatever, it was the managers call and, if necessary, blame can be shared.

You cant have players wandering up and arguing over who is taking the penalty especially when its the best chance we have of scoring these days.

• Advertisement

Well if Gerrard is off the pitch and Dirk is on, I can't think of anyone I'd rather see step up.
    Actually I think I prefer Dirk to Gerrard on penos overall, don't know what their records are.

Also, I was initially thinking if we got a peno but were already ahead in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

who is on penalties is the least of our worries at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I wouldn't let Andy Carroll near penalties .
    Nor would i let him near the team til he gets himself in shape.

Adams demise starting when Lucas got injured . He is not a bad player but he needs a bit of a free reign to get the head up and ping the good pass that we know he can do.Lucas playing gave him that space and time .
    If he is asked to do any defensive duties or close people down then he seems hampered , and kinda tackles clumsy aswell .
    He should be used as an impact sub when teams get tired , but with the amount of mediocre performances by others he is getting a starting spot.

Downing went past one player on Saturday . one player !!
    He needs to grow a set if you ask me and man up . Yes he needs a clear role to be laid out for him but he also needs to show some ummf and start showing a steely determination .
    Again im going to use the word predictable cause thats what he has become .(eg).How many times have we seen him run into space and then balloon the ball over .
    He should take a leaf out of Enriques book as to how to become a threat going forward and proper use of the ball and space .

Im starting to believe the Kenny really doesn't know what his best formation is yet . Thats worrying at this stage .

The Clarke effect is the most pleasing aspect so far this season . We are solid , confident and composed in defence .

We are not a million miles from where we need to be but the mistakes made in transfers need to be rectified quickly as certain players are becoming passengers already .

Rant No.15 complete .

SlickRic wrote: »
    who is on penalties is the least of our worries at the moment :)

It's better than debating Hodgson. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

We are bringing a young Swedish player called Abdul Aziz for training this week, supposed to be a genuine wonderkid who United and Spurs were after.

daithijjj wrote: »
    We are bringing a young Swedish player called Abdul Aziz for training this week, supposed to be a genuine wonderkid who United and Spurs were after.

Is he any good at penalties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't get the Adam criticism after the last day, he played well and at least was getting into the penalty area. If it was Gerrard doing it everybody would be saying he played well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

i dont think defoe would be that bad a signing would he?

rumours are intensifying surrounding a possible move...

think he has a lot to offer...especially work rate. he'll want to fight for a place in the euros next year.

Proper Swedish name alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

eldwaro wrote: »
    i dont think defoe would be that bad a signing would he?

rumours are intensifying surrounding a possible move...

think he has a lot to offer...especially work rate. he'll want to fight for a place in the euros next year.

Rumours now Liverpool only asked about taking him on loan til the summer with him desperate for games before the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I would like to see Jamie on penos.

aaronh007 wrote: »

Large Turkish community in Sweden AFAIK:)

amiable wrote: »

Oh I know, just like there is for people from the former Yugoslavia region. I just made a bad attempt at a joke is all :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Johnson?

I have a theory on this myself. At Blackpool set pieces were massively important and it was vital that they could score from as many as possible. Therefore I reckon Adam probably spent a lot of his time at training practicing all the set pieces, look at the free kicks he was scoring last season for instance and he hasnt even come close this season.

At liverpool he has developed his movement etc and obviously this is what is worked on in taining with a lot less time spent on set pieces.

Missing Lucas is is really holding back Adam too imo, he was putting in motm performances before Lucas got injured. I still think there is a place for him in the team, he played some unreal balls for instance on saturday. He need more freedom and without Lucas he cant have it.

Adam is fine when we are playing against weaker teams, and we have alot of possession.

But he can struggle when we play the better teams, he finds it difficult to keep up with the pace of the game. When he comes against athletes like Toure, his weaknesses are exploited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

djPSB wrote: »
    Adam is fine when we are playing against weaker teams, and we have alot of possession.

But he can struggle when we play the better teams, he finds it difficult to keep up with the pace of the game. When he comes against athletes like Toure, his weaknesses are exploited.

How come he was man of the match versus Chelsea then?

• Advertisement

Oh I know, just like there is for people from the former Yugoslavia region. I just made a bad attempt at a joke is all :o

Irish Muslim lad has a trial next week - Abdul Abhaile.

/gets coat

Irish Muslim lad has a trial next week - Abdul Abhaile.

/gets coat

How long have you been waiting to use that one?

How long have you been waiting to use that one?

Since Roy Hodgson was in short pants, so last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

A loan of Defoe till the summer wouldn't be too bad. Wouldn't want to buy him.

Would be funny having him and Suarez in the same squad though, both of them done for biting their opponents.

A loan of Defoe till the summer wouldn't be too bad. Wouldn't want to buy him.

Would be funny having him and Suarez in the same squad though, both of them done for biting their opponents.

Are you implying that you're a Liverpool fan?
    Who do you support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Piece of Michael Cox's tactical analysis in the Guardian of the Stoke game... something has to change & soon.
    With Meireles no longer at the club and Gerrard playing deeper, Liverpool had Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson behind Kuyt on Saturday. They offered little support, with a situation after 11 minutes summing up their plight – Kuyt found himself on the ball near the byline, twice looked up for assistance, only to find that there was no one else inside the box.

Downing and Henderson moved wider and played sideways balls rather than trying the killer pass themselves. Stoke defended very narrow, and Liverpool were too keen to take the invitation to cross. They attempted 42 crosses, a staggering number, but only five found a team-mate in the box. Stoke, of course, were more than happy for Liverpool to attempt balls from the flanks, and Liverpool putting such effort into this form of attack rather negated the point of leaving out Carroll.

Despite 69% possession, 205 passes in the attacking third, 42 crosses and 15 attempts, Liverpool had only one shot on target, the fewest they have managed since Benítez's final home game in charge of Liverpool, a 2-0 defeat to Chelsea in May 2010. Liverpool had plenty of set pieces, but the deliveries were poor – and besides, Stoke would have been delighted with the game becoming a succession of dead-ball situations.
    Dalglish's "trick" of a back three only worked once, and Pulis was wise to the situation this time around. The main effect of the tactical switch was that Liverpool simply fielded one fewer attacking player than usual, which did not prove helpful considering their struggle for goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sky Website is quoting Moussa Sow as saying this.

"Liverpool, well, that is a dream club. Anyone would be happy, scoring goals in front of the Kop can be the highlight of a career."

I'm gonna put this out there and say we should put Downing in centre midfield as part of a 4-3-3 setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

manual_man wrote: »
    I'm gonna put this out there and say we should put Downing in centre midfield as part of a 4-3-3 setup

What does he offer there that Henderson, Adam or Gerrard doesn't?

I'd like to see the following:

Reina
    Johnson-Skrtl-Agger-Enrique
    ---Hendo-Gerrard-Adam
    Bellamy
    Maxi
    Carroll

That's all of our goal-scorers on the pitch, and it's proper support in the final third for Carroll, not just balls lumped in from wide all the time. The 3 in midfield are all very handy on the ball and should keep possession ticking over, and all three can get forward and have a decent shot on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

r-u-for-real.jpg

"Liverpool, well, that is a dream club. Anyone would be happy, scoring goals in front of the Kop can be the highlight of a career."

Wiki :)
    On January 13th, 2012, the Daily Mail linked him with a move to Liverpool FC as a part-exchange deal involving on-loan Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole.[12].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Jayob10 wrote: »
    My old man got talking to Sammy Lee about one month ago in Australia, had a great chat with him for a couple of hours.

Take Lucas for example, he is talked about as being one of the best in his position in the world amongst our own fans. He is a very very good players through sheer grit and determination. But he is not a top level player, elite level in his position. Thats not knocking him, thats just the reality I think.
    How is wee Sammy these days?

About Lucas, he's pretty solid but we haven't really missed him that much have we? Adam's form seems to have dipped but otherwise we're getting on ok. It's further up the field that is the concern.

Johnson -- Skrtel -- Agger -- Enrique

Downing -- Gerrard -- Spearing -- Maxi/Bellamy

Kuyt---Carroll

Surely worth a shot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We should have paid Meireles. That's all it is. We had the answer to our problems on our squad, and we let him walk out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

lol

Yeah not like the proper Swede Zlatan Ibrahimovich.

• Advertisement

kop77 wrote: »

r-u-for-real.jpg

Fo' real. Downing is an excellent passer. Move him into the middle like Arteta.

reina
    johnson skrtel agger enrique
    henderson downing
    stevie
    bellers suarez
    carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Downing -- Gerrard -- Spearing -- Maxi/Bellamy

Kuyt---Carroll

Surely worth a shot...

Downing -- Gerrard -- Spearing -- Bellamy

Maxi---Carroll

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sky as usual are miles behind what gets reported on mainland Europe. I mentioned a week or two ago about Sow, and that he had made comments about both Liverpool and Arsenal.

Sow and Gomis have both been strongly linked with a move to LFC for quite some time now throughvarious media outlets in Europe, with Sow fanning the flames with direct comments made on tv about the Premiership being the league he wants to be in, and with direct comments about Liverpool and Arsenal.

Also the footballer that was meant to be a guest at the Newcastle game was said to be from the French league. The stewards thought he was a midfielder, but all they knew was that he was from the french league, black and around the six foot mark.

Personally if it came down to a choice between Sow or Gomis I would lean towards Sow. I just feel that he has more to his overall game than Gomis, and is a far more adaptable player on the pitch in terms of being able to fit different formations, and in terms of being able counter different styles of defenders.

I really hope Camolli is a busy boy as IMO we are one clinical finisher away from a CL spot .

It would be a real shame if we looked back in this window as a missed opportunity to bring someone in if we just missed out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/7435939/Sow-targets-Liverpool-move
    Lille striker Moussa Sow has put Liverpool on red alert after revealing he would jump at the chance to play in front of the Kop.

The 25-year-old was the top scorer in Ligue 1 last season and his displays have led to him being trailed by Liverpool, as well as Tottenham.

Harry Redknapp, however, is also keeping tabs on Loic Remy of Marseille and Sow admits that playing for Liverpool would be a 'dream'.

"I am at Lille now but as we all know I want to play in England one day," he told Sky Sports.

Highlight

Fenerbahce have also been linked with the Senegal international but the lure of the Premier League seems to be swaying the striker.

Lille officials will be shortly meeting with their Liverpool counterparts to thrash out Joe Cole's permanent switch to the Ligue 1 outfit.

According to reports in France, during these discussions, the Anfield officials will try and negotiate a deal for Sow.

Joe cole + 10 million or less and i would be delighted.

ASOT wrote: »
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/7435939/Sow-targets-Liverpool-move

Joe cole + 10 million or less and i would be delighted.

No way would we get around the 12m to15m mark for Cole imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Fo' real. Downing is an excellent passer. Move him into the middle like Arteta.

He was sometimes deployed in the middle at Villa and did fairly well iirc

Kess73 wrote: »

Joe + Andy maybe ?

/dives under desk .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kess73 wrote: »

I know i think it was just wishful thinking by me.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    I know i think it was just wishful thinking by me.

I reckon Sow would go for about the 20m to 25m mark at a guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement