Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 - Mod Note 4153

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mixednuts wrote: »
    Joe + Andy maybe ?

/dives under desk .

If Carroll has problems linking up with players at Liverpool who like to play quick short passes a la Suarez, Maxi and co, then he would be rightly effed playing at Lille. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Kess73 wrote: »
    I reckon Sow would go for about the 20m to 25m mark at a guess.

You say that but I was surprised at the price Arsenal got Gervinho for. Granted Sow is a much better player but I think he can be bought for less than 20m. We'd have to wait until summer in order to get him for a decent price though. Clubs can basically raise their price in the January transfer window, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We should have paid Meireles. That's all it is. We had the answer to our problems on our squad, and we let him walk out the door.

Meireles has said the move was not about money.

He went to a CL club who had just hired a compatriot of his as manager & were expected to be challenging for the CL & PL title this season. He handed in a transfer request.

Sometimes if it looks like a god & barks like a dog. It's a dog.

Our shortcomings imo this season have been one place only. Up front.

We're playing pretty well in the main, dominating games, but just can't put the ball in the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

aaronh007 wrote: »
    You say that but I was surprised at the price Arsenal got Gervinho for. Granted Sow is a much better player but I think he can be bought for less than 20m. We'd have to wait until summer in order to get him for a decent price though. Clubs can basically raise their price in the January transfer window, and rightly so.

Yeah that was something like 10.5 mill or along them lines.

I rate sow, but not as a 25 million £ striker. Id pay between 15-20.

aaronh007 wrote: »

I was thinking more along the lines of what it would cost to get Lille to seel him this window tbh. Come the summer he will only have 12 months left on his current contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I was thinking more along the lines of what it would cost to get Lille to seel him this window tbh. Come the summer he will only have 12 months left on his current contract.

Exactly .

Joe Cole + 15 mil would be a fantastic piece of business but i cant see that happening , but you never know.
    Oul Messi Joe Cole has impressed so it all depends how much they rate him .

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah that was something like 10.5 mill or along them lines.

I rate sow, but not as a 25 million £ striker. Id pay between 15-20.

I was talking € not £.

Most reports from France seem to think that a bid of between €20m to €25m would see Lille sell.

If Lille did agree to buy Cole for €5m - €7m, then it would soften the blow of spending 20m -25m on Sow somewhat.

I was talking € not £.

Most reports from France seem to think that a bid of between €20m to €25m would see Lille sell.

If Lille did agree to buy Cole for €5m - €7m, then it would soften the blow of spending 20m -25m on Sow somewhat.

Oh my bad.

Yeah thats why in my other post i was hoping for joe + 10 so around 15ish. But like yu said i doubt we would get him for that in january. You never know though, the transfers these days are mind boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Don't have time to read up on this fella Sow at the minute.

Is he any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Aren't we paying a large chunk of Joe's wages? So the phrase - why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free comes to mind.

Why on earth would Lille take Joe Cole as part payment when we currently let them use him for free and pay the 2/3's of his wages.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »

Is he any good?

Top goalscorer in the ligue 1 last season, Only has 6 goals this season but lille arent the same team anymore. He seems like he would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I really hope Camolli is a busy boy

Are you serious? Have you seen the players Comolli has signed for us so far? I hope Comolli is on an extended sabbatical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Aren't we paying a large chunk of Joe's wages? So the phrase - why buy the cow when you can get the cow for free comes to mind.

Why on earth would Lille take Joe Cole as part payment when we currently let them use him for free and pay the 2/3's of his wages.

3 goals in 15 for Joe in France. Not a bad return when you compare it with our first choice midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Lads where was Agger on Saturday? Please tell me he's not injured?

Is he any good?

Yes he is good. Fast, strong, two good feet and mobile. Very athletic and scores goals from odd angles/positions as a result of this. Very good at speculating in and around the box in terms of anticipating a ball being played or just throwing himself where he thinks the ball will be. Very goal orientated, might seem an odd thing to praise a striker on, but he really does seem to have the attitude of sticking it in the net first and foremost rather than faffing about too much beforehand. Capable of going out wide and doing a job there when needed as well. Best of all he links well with good quick passers, and is no mug himself in terms of skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Are you serious? Have you seen the players Comolli has signed for us so far? I hope Comolli is on an extended sabbatical.

I'd have thought Comolli is looking at the younger players going to the youth team. I'd be surprised if he had more to do with signing Henderson, Adam or Carroll than Dalglish.

Top goalscorer in the ligue 1 last season, Only has 6 goals this season but lille arent the same team anymore. He seems like he would do the job.

That's 6 league goals this season. He has 10 goals in all comps, or 10 from 25 games.

6 from 18 in the league
    3 from 6 in Europe
    1 from 1 in the cup

Sums up exactly how if feel ....
    http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/01/reds-must-address-striking-dilemma-before-season-slips-away/

Reds must address striking dilemma before season slips away

Liverpool’s half-term report would frustratingly read: could do better.

After 21 league games the reds currently sit a somewhat disappointing seventh, punishment for a chronic lack of cutting edge. There has been undoubted progress since August but a consistent failure to convert chances has cost the team dear. The January transfer window provides the perfect opportunity to remedy those struggles and Kenny Dalglish must move heaven and earth to acquire a proven goal-scorer.

Saturday’s draw with Stoke was a dour affair. In-keeping with so many home games this season Liverpool toiled and struggled to break-down a resilient backline. Yet unlike previous stalemates at Anfield, where chances have been fashioned if not converted, this weekend saw a distinct lack of creativity. One shot on target tells a sorry story and Luis Suarez’s absence was glaring.

Opting to play Dirk Kuyt as a lone forward bemused many. Given the Dutchman has notched just a single goal all season the reasoning was hard to fathom. The decision also highlighted blatant indifference towards Andy Carroll, surely tailor-made to face such bruising opponents.

Kuyt has been a terrific player for Liverpool and will always be held in the highest esteem. Nonetheless his performances this term have bordered on the embarrassing. His work-rate is of course guaranteed but his touch and influence in the final third seem to have deserted him. A victim of rotation his confidence has suffered from no longer being guaranteed a first-team spot. He is by no means a lost cause but Dalglish must get more out of him between now and the end of the season. A drop in the Dutchman’s goal return has hurt the side, who rely on him reaching double figures most seasons. With the likes of Charie Adam (2), Jordan Henderson (1) and Stewart Downing (1) providing precious little in the goal-getting department the burden is on Kuyt to chip-in and help-out. His headed miss at the Kop End on Saturday captured his recent plight quite perfectly.

Newcastle comfort zone, playing for one of the biggest clubs in Europe and weighed-down by a startling price tag. He also remains fairly fresh to the Premier League, where he enjoyed merely a honeymoon period at the start of the last campaign. Despite admirable support from Dalglish his confidence is clearly in tatters and he appears to be at a crossroads. It would come as no surprise to see him offloaded in the summer coupled with a host of ‘what ifs’. But the reds cannot wait that long to rectify their shoddy goal difference.

Both Arsenal and Chelsea’s inconsistency mean the top four is by no means out of reach. With the exception of Tottenham away there has not been a game where we haven’t had a strangle-hold on
    possession. Our downfall is those harrowing statistics in front of goal. The return of Suarez will provide some light relief but he alone is not the answer. A fabulous footballer and the architect of some glorious playmaking he is not an out-and-out poacher, ala Robbie Fowler or Michael Owen. Indeed the Uruguayan needs that kind of foil to compliment his superb approach work.

Predictably a whole host of names have been bandied about, some with as much credence as a John Terry police defence. Everyone from Darren Bent to Wilfried Zaha have been linked though Dalglish dampened all rumours last week when announcing arrivals were unlikely. In fairness few could blame John Henry and his board for ignoring this window in-light of the vast sums shelled-out for average return thus far. Ironically of the summer acquisitions our two cheapest have fared best. Craig Bellamy and Jose Enrique have proven far more effective than Downing, Henderson or Adam. However the lure and prestige of Champions League football may persuade a punt of some kind before February. After all our problems are not widespread but defined and treatable with just one signing or even a loan.

The morning press pinpoint Jermain Defoe as the latest in a long line of targets. A definite long-shot he would fit the mould perfectly for the right fee. An eye for goal almost as sharp as his eye for the ladies the England hit-man would thrive on opportunities squandered by our impudent frontline. Convincing Harry Redknapp to sell to a rival and the player himself to move north are two stumbling blocks but ones surely worth tackling.

Further improvements are required down the line – issues such as a right-winger and a creative midfielder but adding a striker in January would set-up a real push for the Champions League in 2012. That was the target at the beginning of the season and one still within our grasp at the half-way point. With home games on the horizon against City, United, Spurs, Everton and Arsenal we are entering a defining period, one in which we cannot afford to falter as a result of our own profligacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I dont think we should write off Carroll but decide he is the man for next season and therafter. Bring in a goalscorer now to do a job, revaluate the situation in the summer. I think that if there was someone sticking the ball in the net the confidence might roar through the team

Just bought tickets to the spurs game, was going to go for the city game but flights were costing a bomb.

Should be fun, hopefully not a repeat of last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Just bought tickets to the spurs game, was going to go for the city game but flights were costing a bomb.

Should be fun, hopefully not a repeat of last year.

Going to this too, hopefully we don't draw against United because it will be moved.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Going to this too, hopefully we don't draw against United because it will be moved.

I only just taught of this, booked my ferry so il be gutted if it happens :/

oldfattoad Brian Reece
    No official news but David Texeira did not train with FC Groningen today

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Our shortcomings imo this season have been one place only. Up front.

We're playing pretty well in the main, dominating games, but just can't put the ball in the net.

it's not only up front. that is far, far too simplistic. it suggests that everything is fine and dandy.

we are not creating good chances in the volume that some will suggest.

yes, we tend to dominate games at Anfield, but that's up to about 30 yards out, and then we have absolutely idea what to do unless Suarez is on the pitch. teams are actually happy for us to have the ball and defend narrow.

i can barely remember the last time we scored an early goal, and if we have recently, it was an isolated incident. the chances we are creating aren't great ones most of the time, and a lot of the chances we created up to Christmas were mainly to do with Suarez's brilliance.

we're very laboured, and at home, we make it very easy for a visiting side to defend. we're predictable and too slow.

bar the Suarez factor, or getting the ball out wide, having our wideman dawdle on the ball and send in a cross once the box is crowded and hope for the best, i don't actually see an other ideas. maybe set-pieces too.

our best chances at home seem to come at the very end of games, when opposition teams tire, or away from home where we're on the counter attack against teams who may fancy their chances against us.

we're as predictable and easy to defend against as I remember us being in a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ideally would like to see someone come in to play alongside Carroll , not as a replacement.

I will probably get abuse for this but i honestly believe that Carroll will come good, i dont think hes going to be Top scorer in the Premier league in the next year but i think he could be a regular scorer and threat.

He has been fed to bad scraps for months now and expected to work wonders. Kuyt could manage no better the other day , so logic would point to the players behind the striker as part of the problem .

I would be sad to see Carroll gone this summer irregardless of what way the rest of the season pans out.

Ideally would like to see someone come in to play alongside Carroll , not as a replacement.

I will probably get abuse for this but i honestly believe that Carroll will come good, i dont think hes going to be Top scorer in the Premier league in the next year but i think he could be a regular scorer and threat.

He has been fed to bad scraps for months now and expected to work wonders. Kuyt could manage no better the other day , so logic would point to the players behind the striker as part of the problem .

I would be sad to see Carroll gone this summer irregardless of what way the rest of the season pans out.

Question for you. If someone was brought in to partner Carroll, and Carroll was actually given regular gametime, where would Suarez go once he came back or would you be suggesting him being played as a winger if Carroll was part of a front two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I'm really not sure about Carroll coming good. People were saying the Stoke game was ideal for him given the physical battle with Huth/Shawcross but when he came on he didn't really make an effort to compete, he just kept falling over looking for fouls, something he has done in many games this season.

He just doesn't look up for physical battles and given thats pretty much his main strengh I don't think he offers anything unless things change.

oldfattoad Brian Reece
    No official news but David Texeira did not train with FC Groningen today

Interesting.

Dont know much about him but have been reading that he has a similar work ethic to Suarez and never gives up .

If he is moving i would say it will be to LFC with us having Suarez and Coates , but it could also be Arry trying to find his own Suarez after missing out last time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Uruguayans work like negritos as you well know! If we had a few more the effort might match er Swansea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Dont know much about him but have been reading that he has a similar work ethic to Suarez and never gives up .

If he is moving i would say it will be to LFC with us having Suarez and Coates , but it could also be Arry trying to find his own Suarez after missing out last time :pac:

He looks a lot more bulky that Suarez but does work hard.

Seems Liverpool are trying to get this type of player before he moves to Ajax or PSV and then commands a massive fee after success there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The point about have a quality striker up front is not just about him converting chances. He is also part of an attacking unit in which for the kind of football we play at the moment we need a player comfortable on the ball who is technically good with it at his feet. We obviously also need to work on other things like getting more players into the box.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Quick question, is Sow not at the African cup of nations at the min? He's from Senegal isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

joe123 wrote: »
    Quick question, is Sow not at the African cup of nations at the min? He's from Senegal isn't he?

He was born in France but has chosen to play for DonegalSenegal

Lucas Leiva @LucasLeiva87 1h Last week in Brazil then return to Liverpool at the weekend to keep the treatment going.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »

Yeah he is in the squad for the ANC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Question for you. If someone was brought in to partner Carroll, and Carroll was actually given regular gametime, where would Suarez go once he came back or would you be suggesting him being played as a winger if Carroll was part of a front two?
    Maybe i should of said that better, whilst i would like to see Carroll and another signing be able to play together in some games in foward position , which is necessary against the likes of stoke etc ,

i meant partner in terms of both of them fighting for same positon when the formation for a game only allow 1 main striker playing.

What im saying is keep Carroll get in another signing , i would hope they can play well together or independantly . But keep Carroll at the club for another season at least.

Also depending on players available etc, if we had two forwards on the pitch (which we need against teams that play for the draw) i would think Suarez would do well in a Centre attacking midfielder role , he seems to track back to that area an awful lot during games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

i feel if we do sign its going to be a baptism of fire...

god help them if there first game is bad

Maybe i should of said that better, whilst i would like to see Carroll and another signing be able to play together in some games in foward position , which is necessary against the likes of stoke etc ,

i meant partner in terms of both of them fighting for same positon when the formation for a game only allow 1 main striker playing.

What im saying is keep Carroll get in another signing , i would hope they can play well together or independantly . But keep Carroll at the club for another season at least.

Also depending on players available etc, if we had two forwards on the pitch (which we need against teams that play for the draw) i would think Suarez would do well in a Centre attacking midfielder role , he seems to track back to that area an awful lot during games anyway.

Ahh gotcha. I thought you were suggesting getting a partner for Carroll and them playing as a front two from then onwards.

Suarez is at his best in a support/second striker role, so an advanced CAM role where he can roam would suit him, as would the wide forward slots in a 4-3-3.

The problem I see with using Suarez as a wide forward or as a support striker/CAM is that he would need either a poacher and/or a very mobile striker at the point of the attack to get the best of Suarez, and for the striker to be able to us Suarez as a supply.

How Suarez worked with Huntelaar at Ajax or how he works with Cavani and Forlan at International levels would be pointers, for me, as to what type of striker we should be trying to match with Suarez.

Huntelaar would tick the poacher role for me in terms of a player that I think would work at Liverpool with Suarez and with the other attackers we have.

Moussa Sow or Welliton (especially the latter) would be very good with Suarez imho, far better than Carroll. Both those players have great pace, both are strong, both can work anywhere across the attacking line, both are skillful with good control, and both can work in a system with quick passing and both can play more directly when needed.

If one of those players came in, I think we would soon see an improvement in terms of goals scored, but if Carroll was kept as a back up to whomever came in, I think his confidence could take an even further knock if the new guy started scoring quickly, and I also think the team might suffer when the new guy gets rested and Carroll tries to fit into the system again.

But regardless of whether Carroll stays or goes, or whether Carroll gets shoved further back in the pecking order, I think getting a striker that can actually score goals on a regular basis is a must, and I would hope that a quality CM in the traditional sense of the position is a must as well. Then if there is enough money left over, someone like Hoilett on the cheap would be very very nice indeed.

Texeira, Granero and Sow this window I would be over the ****ing moon.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Liverpool Reserves v. Manchester United Reserves postponed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Was Kenny's plan to play Downing on the left of an attacking 3, Carroll CF and Suarez on the right ? ..with Downing & Suarez able to swap over. With this front 3 we would have gerrard in behind (AMF) and either of henderson and adams partnering leiva further back in CM.

I'm not sure if we have seen that formation start many games ? Might be wildly inaccurate but i'm trying to think if we have and if it has been successful ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I am pie wrote: »
    Was Kenny's plan to play Downing on the left of an attacking 3, Carroll CF and Suarez on the right ? ..with Downing & Suarez able to swap over. With this front 3 we would have gerrard in behind (AMF) and either of henderson and adams partnering leiva further back in CM.

I'm not sure if we have seen that formation start many games ? Might be wildly inaccurate but i'm trying to think if we have and if it has been successful ?

I think you would be looking at that being quite a narrow looking team tbh. You'd be relying on the LB/RB getting up the pitch to provide something.

Might work against the weaker teams, but against anyone with any wide quality I think we'd struggle.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

:confused:

Jesus wept man, a stray 's' well spotted :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Jesus wept man, a stray 's' well spotted :rolleyes:

Pesky gits are everywhere

Dr Galen wrote: »
    I think you would be looking at that being quite a narrow looking team tbh. You'd be relying on the LB/RB getting up the pitch to provide something.

Might work against the weaker teams, but against anyone with any wide quality I think we'd struggle.

With the right players it is a formation that gives a lot of width when attacking. Jose used it most of the time with Chelsa and Porto. Villa Boas used it at Porto, Lille used it a lot last season, and Deschamps uses it a lot with Marseille just to name a few clubs that have done well with that formation.

During the second half of last season Kenny also used the 4-3-3 formation a lot and we got joy in front of goal with it.

It would be one of my favourite formations tbh as it is very flexible and allows for loads of interchanging of positons ingame. It does need pace and good technical ability throughout the team for it to work well though.

Kevin Friend will referee #LFC's late trip to #BWFC on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kevin Friend will referee #LFC's late trip to #BWFC on Saturday

Does a late kick off mean it's on ESPN?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Does a late kick off mean it's on ESPN?

Nope Atalanta and Juventus are on.

Luckily my local has dodgy stations so i get the games, all be it without commentary.

Disregard this post, i looked to far ahead my bad!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement