Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 - Mod Note 4153

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Does a late kick off mean it's on ESPN?

it is on espn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

ASOT wrote: »
    Kevin Friend(s) will referee #LFC's late trip to #BWFC on Saturday

Never miss an opportunity :pac:...

inbetweeners+simon.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

stick-dan wrote: »
    it is on espn

Nevermind i completely skipped ahead a week i think :S

It is on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

According to espn its not ?

defo seen it listed for either ESPN or setanta, maybe i've chosen the wrong one, but defo thought it was espn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kevin Friend will referee #LFC's late trip to #BWFC on Saturday

Great not hope he is not as shocking as he was for the trip to Fulham

stick-dan wrote: »
    defo seen it listed for either ESPN or setanta, maybe i've chosen the wrong one, but defo thought it was espn

Yeah it is, my bad completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

mixednuts wrote: »
    Never miss an opportunity :pac:...

inbetweeners+simon.jpg

and it get thumbs up...fantastic

and does anyone think samba would be a good signing? or is it over kill to buy another CB?

Agger not always fit
    Skrtle should be ok
    Carra is playing through cobwebs
    Coates has it all...but has to be proven
    Kelly is an option at CB but fitness and prefers RB could be factors

Just thinking Samba might not go astray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

eldwaro wrote: »
    and does anyone think samba would be a good signing? or is it over kill to buy another CB?

Agger not always fit
    Skrtle should be ok
    Carra is playing through cobwebs
    Coates has it all...but has to be proven
    Kelly is an option at CB but fitness and prefers RB could be factors

Just thinking Samba might not go astray!

I think Samba has been tapped and he knows where he wants to go ..LFC is not that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

mixednuts wrote: »
    I think Samba has been tapped and he knows where he wants to go ..LFC is not that place.

But if he's been tapped up by Mark Hughes and Liverpool want him of course it might change things in his head.

I think he'll end up at Spurs.

I don't think we need him at the moment and he's not a priority IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I am pie wrote: »
    Was Kenny's plan to play Downing on the left of an attacking 3, Carroll CF and Suarez on the right ? ..with Downing & Suarez able to swap over. With this front 3 we would have gerrard in behind (AMF) and either of henderson and adams partnering leiva further back in CM.

I'm not sure if we have seen that formation start many games ? Might be wildly inaccurate but i'm trying to think if we have and if it has been successful ?

I reckon Gerry Adams - Suarez partnership would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Kess73 wrote: »
    No way would we get around the 12m to15m mark for Cole imho.

Think Jen Chang reported a week or two ago that Lille had accepted a 12m bid from Galatasaray for Sow, but Sow did not want to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Think Jen Chang reported a week or two ago that Lille had accepted a 12m bid from Galatasaray for Sow, but Sow did not want to go there.

Would be very very surprised if Lille accepted a 12m bid from Gala for the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

djPSB wrote: »

Gerry was a devastating attacker in his day, gone off the boil in recent years though, content sitting on a bench and pick up a cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

With the right players it is a formation that gives a lot of width when attacking. Jose used it most of the time with Chelsa and Porto. Villa Boas used it at Porto, Lille used it a lot last season, and Deschamps uses it a lot with Marseille just to name a few clubs that have done well with that formation.

During the second half of last season Kenny also used the 4-3-3 formation a lot and we got joy in front of goal with it.

It would be one of my favourite formations tbh as it is very flexible and allows for loads of interchanging of positons ingame. It does need pace and good technical ability throughout the team for it to work well though.

I wouldn't disagree on the fundamental point that either of you make. Chelsea and Lille are good examples to give but with the players we got I can't see it giving us any ongoing joy tbh

• Advertisement

kinda think that a signing now is just what we all need....

frustration is creeping in...feck it frustration flung in ages ago...

and unbelievably fresh blood might be the answer

Dr Galen wrote: »
    I wouldn't disagree on the fundamental point that either of you make. Chelsea and Lille are good examples to give but with the players we got I can't see it giving us any ongoing joy tbh

Yep totally agree about it not being a great formation with the players we currently have. Would go as far as to say that we are at least three first team players short of being able to use 4-3-3 in a very effective manner over the course of a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Someone whos good at shooting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Gerry was a devastating attacker in his day, gone off the boil in recent years though, content sitting on a bench and pick up a cheque.

No, you are getting him mixed up with Tevez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He was very aggressive though....he ended a lot of opponent's careers through knee injuries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Yep totally agree about it not being a great formation with the players we currently have. Would go as far as to say that we are at least three first team players short of being able to use 4-3-3 in a very effective manner over the course of a season.

Well we'd certainly need an upgrade in the centre of midfield. Someone who could not only replace Lucas but play along side him. Allowing us to give Lucas a rest, allow Henderson to develop and Adam to be used as a squad/backup player.

We'd also need a David Silva type IMHO. Every time I see him play I'm more impressed with him. For all their superstars, City don't look like half the team without him. Suarez is close to that type of player, in a way, but I think he needs that player to really get the best from him. An upgrade in Maxi is what I'd mean I suppose.

The big question is what to do with Carroll. Personally I want a third striker signed. If we ever want to challenge then we need more than 2 good forwards. We can't have a situation that once one of two gets injured its panic stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

TouchlineDrama TouchlineDrama
    Atlético Madrid were the only other bidders for Shaqiri—offering €8m—but Galatasaray matched that and added a desirable 25% sell-on clause.
    TouchlineDrama TouchlineDrama
    Odd that hijack bids aren't flooding in. Shaqiri could start for Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool but is sadly being overlooked—like Arda Turan
    9 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Surprised we wouldn't look to take a punt on him for that kind of money.

Opr

opr wrote: »

Opr

And the fact that turan only went for €12 milllion.

Da ****?
    Adidas AG (ADS) declined to renew its apparel deal with 18-time English soccer champion Liverpool because the price was too high given the team’s poor performance, the chief executive officer of the world’s second- biggest sporting goods maker said today.
    Liverpool, which is also a five-time European champion, has replaced Adidas with a club record, 6-year, 25 million pound ($38.3 million) contract with Warrior Sports, a subsidiary of New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc. The accord, Warrior’s first major soccer contract, begins next season and is worth almost double the current agreement with Adidas.
    Liverpool has struggled to recapture glories that made it the dominant team in English soccer during the 1970s and 80s. It hasn’t won a league championship since 1990 and was overtaken by Manchester United as the holder of most championships last season. Still, its famous red shirt remains among the most popular. Liverpool didn’t make the Champions League, the region’s top club competition, for this season. It’s seventh in the Premier League, 13 points behind leader Manchester City.
    “The gap between their performance on the field and what the number should be is not in balance,” Adidas CEO Herbert Hainer said in an interview in Munich today. “Then we said, ‘Okay we will not do it. That’s the end of the story.’” Liverpool didn’t respond.
    The team’s lack of success hasn’t stopped it signing other commercial agreements. London-based bank Standard Chartered is paying a record 81.5 million pounds to have its logo displayed on its jerseys for four years and the team’s sales department has also signed new sponsors like Turkish tourism.
    Benefits?
    The contract with Warrior may benefit the team further because it allows Liverpool to retain control over all merchandise not related to the clothing the team wears, something that it had ceded to Adidas. Still, it will no longer be able to rely on the sports-makers vast global supply chain.
    “ It all depends on the success and the effort and the popularity, the exposure on TV, revenue you can generate by merchandising,” Hainer said. “This all has to be brought in line between what you offer and what you get. We thought their asking and the delivering is not in the right balance.”
    Adidas faces a big year ahead. It’s a main partner to the two biggest sports events taking place, soccer’s European Championship and then the Olympic Games in London. Hainer said from a commercial point of view the soccer event will be a bigger boost, while the Olympics is the biggest platform the company has to show its commitment to sports. The company enjoyed record 1.5 billion euro ($1.9 billion) in sales in 2010 because of the World Cup in South Africa. He says it will do even better this year.
    “We will definitely beat the 1.5 billion euro revenue target in 2012: there’s no doubt for me,” said Hainer.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-16/liverpool-s-on-field-performance-didn-t-warrant-price-adidas-head-says.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Why are they reporting this like it's new? We've known that Warrior were replacing Adidas for ages now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd love us to sign James McCarthy. Seems to be playing a lot deeper nowadays, and he looks a real tidy midfielder. He's so calm on the ball, and has lovely passing range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sounds like a sore loser to me , liverpool were offered a better deal addidas didnt want to match as other clubs would look for similar terms .

Why are they reporting this like it's new? We've known that Warrior were replacing Adidas for ages now.

Maybe because this is the first time iv seen it ? my apologies Mr Brannigan, don't have me remanded to the brig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

The Liverpool replica jerseys is the 4th highest selling jersey in the world - I'm calling bullsh1t on that story a a valid reason to not renew the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Sounds like a sore loser to me , liverpool were offered a better deal addidas didnt want to match as other clubs would look for similar terms .
    Nail. Hammer. Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Maybe because this is the first time iv seen it ? my apologies Mr Brannigan, don't have me remanded to the brig.

I wouldn't do that. Now, fetch my velure shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

@LucasLeiva87Lucas Leiva
    Last week in Brazil then return to Liverpool at the weekend to keep the treatment going.

AiFCAbCCMAAGsRh.jpg:large
    Ag543JzCAAEHabZ.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

I used to love watching him bombing down the wings tearing the opposition to pieces.

opr wrote: »

Opr

Now I was baffled last summer when Turan went for only twelve million euro and we did not try for him and instead spent close to double that on Downing.

But if Shaqiri is available for around the €8m mark and we don't at least try for him, I will be gobsmacked.

Really puts the price of english potential like Henderson into some kind of context when you see the likes of Turan and Shaqiri either moving or being spoken of for a move and the the money for the two of them combined is only coming close to what was paid for Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Now I was baffled last summer when Turan went for only twelve million euro and we did not try for him and instead spent close to double that on Downing.

But if Shaqiri is available for around the €8m mark and we don't at least try for him, I will be gobsmacked.

Really puts the price of english potential like Henderson into some kind of context when you see the likes of Turan and Shaqiri either moving or being spoken of for a move and the the money for the two of them combined is only coming close to what was paid for Henderson.

Do you think if a club like Liverpool went in for Shaqiri his price would suddenly shoot up?

amiable wrote: »
    Do you think if a club like Liverpool went in for Shaqiri his price would suddenly shoot up?

Well Liverpool could bid 50% more than the price mentioned as the Gala bid, and would still be getting a very good player on the cheap imho.

These are the kind of deals Liverpool need to be getting in on. Deals like the Suarez one where none of the other big clubs were looking to buy the player.

The night gets better and better.:(

French radio saying that Chelsea and Lille are close to agreeing a fee for Hazard. The figure being around £29m. Radio dude seems to think that it may be a deal for the summer that is being agreed upon now similar to how Rami's move to Valencia went last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Does the fact that warrior don't have the kind of distribution chain the likes of adidas have mean a huge drop in shirt sales should be expected??? And if that's the case does that not mean the club will be losing out overall???

• Advertisement

Schnakey bit of post deleting there, Amiable. ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Does the fact that warrior don't have the kind of distribution chain the likes of adidas have mean a huge drop in shirt sales should be expected??? And if that's the case does that not mean the club will be losing out overall???

The club only get something like £1 per shirt, so doesn't make much odds within the current deal. If it continued, it could adversely effect the value of any future deals as the number of shirts sold is obviously relevant in determining the value of the kit deal

tommyhaas wrote: »
    The club only get something like £1 per shirt, so doesn't make much odds within the current deal. If it continued, it could adversely effect the value of any future deals as the number of shirts sold is obviously relevant in determining the value of the kit deal

Thanks Tommy! Jaysus a pound!! for some reason I expected the club would be getting a bigger cut than that!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Thanks Tommy! Jaysus a pound!! for some reason I expected the club would be getting a bigger cut than that!!:eek:

Yea its very little. I can't remember the breakdown, but needless to say the retailer gets a cut too, so the club get a decent bit more on shirts sold in the club shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Reminds me of Roy Evan's 'fantastic', used to get great gas out of him saying fantasticc 12 times in every interview. Sky once put together a montage, it was great.

Incredibly unprofessional.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Yea its very little. I can't remember the breakdown, but needless to say the retailer gets a cut too, so the club get a decent bit more on shirts sold in the club shop

Yeah they probably dont make all that much either I guess. I know we'll be ok here in Ireland for shirts but I just hope warrior are working out a plan to get into the Asian market because that's vital for the club going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'd love us to sign James McCarthy. Seems to be playing a lot deeper nowadays, and he looks a real tidy midfielder. He's so calm on the ball, and has lovely passing range.
    Thinking the same myself. I'd prefer him in there than Adam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sounds good.

Check out the first link on their Sports Stadia page.

The picture there and the one in the paper are entirely different.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Sounds good.

Check out the first link on their Sports Stadia page.

The picture there and the one in the paper are entirely different.

I think the one in the paper is the hicks and gillett "futuristic" (shít) design. The one on that link you gave there looks a million times better!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yeah they probably dont make all that much either I guess. I know we'll be ok here in Ireland for shirts but I just hope warrior are working out a plan to get into the Asian market because that's vital for the club going forward.

The reason Warrior are doing this deal is to break into one of the worlds biggest sports, where they have 0 penetration currently. What better way to do that than make one of the worlds greatest, and most supported football teams shirts??

They will have their supply chains ready to dish our more shirts than anyone when these go on sale.

My main concern is at what price they'll be sold. I have a horrile feeling we'll be looking at €80~ for a new jersey.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement