Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 - Mod Note 4153

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I think the one in the paper is the hicks and gillett "futuristic" (shít) design. The one on that link you gave there looks a million times better!!!
    Looks damn generic to me... a cookie cutter stadium. Would prefer something unique, but I suppose you pay extra for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

opr wrote: »
    Surprised we wouldn't look to take a punt on him for that kind of money.

Opr

I'd really love to know what the hell does be going on behind the scenes at clubs, if a player like Shaquiri is available for €8million then I cannot for the life of me understand why we are not moving heaven and earth to secure that deal.

Even at 10-12million this lad is a steal. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Would be disappointed if they went with such a generic stadium design. I know changes would be made to the plans but they are nine years old according to that article. Didn't we spend an absolute fortune on the new designs ? John W Henry tweeting about how amazing the Bayern Munich stadium I guess got my hopes up a little too high for the eventual outcome.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

The reason Warrior are doing this deal is to break into one of the worlds biggest sports, where they have 0 penetration currently. What better way to do that than make one of the worlds greatest, and most supported football teams shirts??

They will have their supply chains ready to dish our more shirts than anyone when these go on sale.

My main concern is at what price they'll be sold. I have a horrile feeling we'll be looking at €80~ for a new jersey.

Thats a good point I hope your right and they don't make a balls of it!! :D
    What makes ya think they will be so expensive? Are they being made in the states?? I'll only be getting the home one if they're that price. recession an all that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Looks damn generic to me... a cookie cutter stadium. Would prefer something unique, but I suppose you pay extra for that!

Agree, I'd much prefer to see a new ground based around the Westfalen Stadium sort of design then the one they seem to have gone for, it would be far more similar to Anfield

This is apparently the one they've gone for

firstgen_04_large.jpg

Generic is ok with me!! I guess thats a subjective thing really, but I'd rather have just a plain stadium!!

Kess73 wrote: »
    The night gets better and better.:(

French radio saying that Chelsea and Lille are close to agreeing a fee for Hazard. The figure being around £29m. Radio dude seems to think that it may be a deal for the summer that is being agreed upon now similar to how Rami's move to Valencia went last year.

Theres talk its been provisionally agreed alright. And apparently they will be bidding 20million for Jovetic aswell, thats serious business if they signed both.

This is the competition we are dealing with, and we could drift further away from the top 4 if our rivals continue to strengthen with players of this ilk. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Now I was baffled last summer when Turan went for only twelve million euro and we did not try for him and instead spent close to double that on Downing.

But if Shaqiri is available for around the €8m mark and we don't at least try for him, I will be gobsmacked.

Really puts the price of english potential like Henderson into some kind of context when you see the likes of Turan and Shaqiri either moving or being spoken of for a move and the the money for the two of them combined is only coming close to what was paid for Henderson.

What a remarkably polite way to express this point.

Generic is ok with me!! I guess thats a subjective thing really, but I'd rather have just a plain stadium!!
    Aye, definitely subjective, and don't get me wrong - I wouldn't want something off the wall just for the sake of it. As long as the final design marries all the essential ingredients well, that's the main thing.

60k arses on seats will hopefully allow us compete financially at the top end of the market.

heres hoping!

Also be great to see greater transport links to the city centre, I always end up walking back in :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

'will modernise and upgrade the first set of designs...'

Intrigued as to what that will mean. I was never a huge fan of the Parry design but in truth it is a better option than H & G. If Bascombe is correct, I suspect FSG will make enough changes within the planning parameters that the Parry design will also be forgotten and new Anfield will only be associated with the current owners.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    60k arses on seats will hopefully allow us compete financially at the top end of the market.

heres hoping!

Also be great to see greater transport links to the city centre, I always end up walking back in :P

Especially with being debt free!! 60k arses on seats should allow us to be well in the running for the best available players.

Anyone got pictures of how the H&G design ended up ?

Opr

That's the new generation one, its apparently the old generation one they're going for

Needless to say they were screwing us over with that as well.

Mac_Shack.jpg

72,500 seats??? :eek:

Needless to say they were screwing us over with that as well.

Ah I know but they must have come up with something ? They spent 50m+ on them!

Opr

tommyhaas wrote: »
    That's the new generation one, its apparently the old generation one they're going for
    Tommy I see in the article it says they're locked into the design because of planning permission, but can the capacity change?? or does it have to be 60k as per original?

• Advertisement

Opr

Think its the one pictured in the telegraph article. Personally I like the look of that one
    72,500 seats??? :eek:

Your looking at the wrong one, its the 60k one. Be interesting to see how many boxes are being put in

Looks a bit nicer TBH.

Not believing anything until official word comes from the club.

Tommy I see in the article it says they're locked into the design because of planning permission, but can the capacity change?? or does it have to be 60k as per original?

I don't know, I'd assume though that an increased capacity would have to be accompanied by further investment in infrastructure, I'm just guessing though. Was it just this plan that planning permission was obtained for, or did the hicks design get granted permission does anyone know?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

heres hoping!

Unless I go for a pint around the ground after the match, I do as well. It is ridiculous, and the walk in is bloody perilous as well, although the other side of the road than nearly everyone is on seems to have an actual walkway and less life endangering road crossings. Hard to see how they will improve links properly though unless they have about 200 buses waiting outside the stadium, which is not going to happen. I'd settle for some proper pedestrian crossings or those little walkway bridge things on some of the more dangerous areas though.

I don't know, I'd assume though that an increased capacity would have to be accompanied by further investment in infrastructure, I'm just guessing though. Was it just this plan that planning permission was obtained for, or did the hicks design get granted permission does anyone know?

Yeah that article is a little vague, the finer details are left out. I just hope the club will come out with some sort of statement and clarify things..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

How often has Anfield sold out this season do far?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yakult wrote: »
    How often has Anfield sold out this season do far?

Pretty much every game as far as I know. Average is a touch under 45k, official capacity a touch over 45k, but even when games are billed as sold out, they won't all be the exact same attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Honestly, I hate the old Parry-Bowl, and I absolutely love the Hicks and Gillette one. The Kop in that, and the way the stadium is built like a theatre, to amplify the sound from the Kop around the stadium (like someone speaking at a podium) sounds amazing.

Have to say though, the revised AFL design does look nice too, less like their original generic (horrible) design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

That article really is very vague .

Could be just a lazy journo having a slow day so I'm not going to look to much into it .

But in saying that do you really think that the 2003 design would really be something a modern day organisation like FSG would go for ? ...I think not !

(p's) Kess my thoughts are with you with the devastating news about to break about Hazard . Stay strong my friend , stay strong .:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Honestly, I hate the old Parry-Bowl, and I absolutely love the Hicks and Gillette one. The Kop in that, and the way the stadium is built like a theatre, to amplify the sound from the Kop around the stadium (like someone speaking at a podium) sounds amazing.

Have to say though, the revised AFL design does look nice too, less like their original generic (horrible) design.

Yes the H&G design was the dogs bollox it's a shame FSG wont be going ahead with it. Imagine the size of "the new kop" in it, would be unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Apologies if reported already:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/swansea-face-fight-to-keep-hold-of-allen-as-liverpool-prepare-bid-6290615.html
    Liverpool have made Swansea City's emergent midfielder Joe Allen one of their targets for this summer having been impressed with his rise to prominence this season.

The Wales international, 21, who caught the eye again in Sunday's 3-2 win for Swansea against Arsenal, has been scouted by Liverpool since an impressive performance at Anfield in his club's 0-0 draw there in September. He signed a contract at the start of this season that ties him to Swansea, with whom he has been since the age of nine, until 2015.

A move for Allen looks unlikely this month, especially with Liverpool's priority being a striker, and Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers having discouraged any interest in his players. Nathan Dyer is another who is attracting attention, with Tottenham Hotspur taking a close look at the winger.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Does anyone else get the feeling that we are not being very imaginative in our transfers?

I mean, from what we've seen, Kenny's idea seems to throw British at it and hope some of it will stick.

I dunno, maybe its all transfer nonsense but its starting to grate on me a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Does anyone else get the feeling that we are not being very imaginative in our transfers?

I mean, from what we've seen, Kenny's idea seems to throw British at it and hope some of it will stick.

I dunno, maybe its all transfer nonsense but its starting to grate on me a little bit.

TBH I won't believe anything that is written in a newspaper about who our targets are until they show up in Anfield to wear the jersey and confirm it themselves.

People put too much creedence in those rags.

Well it worries me that a load of lads on a message board can identify talent like Turan and Shaquiri and the club can't. Instead opting for more expensive British alternatives which imo aren't as talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Well it worries me that a load of lads on a message board can identify talent like Turan and Shaquiri and the club can't. Instead opting for more expensive British alternatives which imo aren't as talented.

There has to be a reason they won't go for them though, stuff that the ordinary punter wouldn't know (injuries,attitudes, whatever)... Kenny/Comolli can't be that blind.

Wow Ancelotti in Gazzetta saying players that PSG have been offered this window - "Tévez, Pavlyuchenko, Llorente, Cavani, Berbatov, Torres".

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It worries me more that these same people on a message board seemingly think they'd be better able to do the job than Kenny & Comolli :pac::confused:

Out of curiousity, those praising Shaquiri, how many have seen him other than a game or two in the CL? Likely just the manc game?

I guess in part the club is aware of how past lynchpins in the team who weren't British all, at one point or another, wanted out when there was something shinier abroad. Liverpool, naturally wasn't the "be all and end all" for the likes of Masch, Alonso and to an extent Aquilani.

At least you know with British players that if you want them, you can probably keep them for their career. Top non-british talent will always get a better offer from abroad sooner or later, to move to an environment they're simply happier and more at home in. Brits tend not to leave. Pretty much everyone else would prefer to live and work in Italy or Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I guess in part the club is aware of how past lynchpins in the team who weren't British all, at one point or another, wanted out when there was something shinier abroad. Liverpool, naturally wasn't the "be all and end all" for the likes of Masch, Alonso and to an extent Aquilani.

At least you know with British players that if you want them, you can probably keep them for their career. Top non-british talent will always get a better offer from abroad sooner or later, to move to an environment they're simply happier and more at home in. Brits tend not to leave. Pretty much everyone else would prefer to live and work in Italy or Spain.

Even the top British talent have other alternatives, Jones a good example. Liverpool isn't that particularly attractive anymore, especially with no CL football. Still the club should be doing everything to find another Suarez type signing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Did you just compare Blackburn to Liverpool?!?!?! :eek:

Liverpool will always be amongst the most attractive proposition for any English footballer to play for.

We should be trying to do all we can to unearth another Gerrard/Carragher/Bale/Lennon etc tbh - I think that's Kenny's/Comolli's thinking. Mixed with a compliment of good foreign signings. You're saying "we should be trying for another Suarez" & he's a wet week at the club & could well orchestrate a move in the next 12 months!? :confused:

• Advertisement

I sincerely hope that's not the

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The cull of last season sort of balances out what was spent on the incoming players - especially when wages are taken into account - but our next few transfers are likely to see the owners investing heavily if we want a proper improvement in the squad. The club really can't afford mistakes in the market.

The worst part is January offers terrible value and we're short in a couple of positions. If I was FSG I'd be telling Kenny and Comolli to look at loan deals and give them some cash in the summer.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Liverpool will always be amongst the most attractive proposition for any English footballer to play for.

We should be trying to do all we can to unearth another Gerrard/Carragher/Bale/Lennon etc tbh - I think that's Kenny's/Comolli's thinking. Mixed with a compliment of good foreign signings. You're saying "we should be trying for another Suarez" & he's a wet week at the club & could well orchestrate a move in the next 12 months!? :confused:

Obviously fans think Liverpool are still a massive attraction, we are as long as we aren't in competition from clubs like City, United and Chelsea. This really shouldn't come as news to anybody!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Our work is always gonna be cut out when we're up against the likes of Utd,City,Chelsea.

However, foreign players would imo be even more difficult to attain for competing with those clubs for their signatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It worries me more that these same people on a message board seemingly think they'd be better able to do the job than Kenny & Comolli :pac::confused:

Out of curiousity, those praising Shaquiri, how many have seen him other than a game or two in the CL? Likely just the manc game?

Well I can safely say that if you go back through my posts you will see I mentioned him well before the Manc game or any other CL game this season.

Shaqiri has been playing first team football since he was 17, and has been highly rated in Europe as a youth player and very highly rated for the last 2 and a half seasons since he became a first teamer. It's not as though the lad is some kind of well kept secret.

Our work is always gonna be cut out when we're up against the likes of Utd,City,Chelsea.

However, foreign players would imo be even more difficult to attain for competing with those clubs for their signatures.

True, plus you've the Real's, Inter's etc. as well. It's where Comolli should be doing the business. We did get Suarez with no CL and struggling in the league. Even the Europa Cup would be a help in the Summer in selling the club.

It's not about one specific player but the fact the transfers from the outside look lazy. The players we have bought have all been premiership players having a good season just gone with the exception of Bellamy.

The only two outside of that sphere have been the below.

Suarez ---- Scouted under the old regime.
    Coates ---- Easy to see how we stumbled upon him.

Now one of the main guys we have been linked with this window is Teixeira. He is from the same village as Suarez! Once again hardly inspiring work from our scouting team!

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The problem with trying to unearth the next huge English name is that you would have to buy quite a few players to do so, and unlike their foreign counterparts, the cost of doing so with English potential is huge and as a result the risk is huge.

Quite often the cost of English potential would buy you a foreign player who is a few years older, more experienced and more proven.

I agree with you in that a mix of both would be ideal, but when competing against clubs like City, Chelsea etc who have the financial reserves to bid on the best both at home or abroad, then picking up quality players who are young and who can go straight into the first team has to be done in a more cost effective manner more often than not.

You say that the likes of Suarez could just look to leave after a year, the exact same thing applies to English talent, it is not as though the club has a great record over the past 20 years of buying English talent that more often than not work out in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

2005-2008 we could have arguably attracted any player to this club. Just a pity that at the time of our most recent successes, our club was being bled dry from the inside out.

I know its all hypothetical - but imagine how we'd be now if FSG had taken over Liverpool in 2007 instead of [nameless] :(

• Advertisement

Well I can safely say that if you go back through my posts you will see I mentioned him well before the Manc game or any other CL game this season.

Shaqiri has been playing first team football since he was 17, and has been highly rated in Europe as a youth player and very highly rated for the last 2 and a half seasons since he became a first teamer. It's not as though the lad is some kind of well kept secret.

You're not really who my post was aimed at :pac:
    You certainly seem to know more about foreign leagues than most, although I think you'll agree that Comolli probably knows a tad more ;) I would also question how many times you've actually watched half the players you chat **** about! :D

There is also the fact that your incessant ****e talk about little known players in foreign leagues means that inevitably you'll get the odd one right, while dozens will develop into nothing players :P

I think we agree that we should be aiming for a mixture of both.

I would hazard a guess that we have leaned towards English players for the time being as without the bait of CL (or even Europa League) football, they are the demographic we are most attractive to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement