Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 - Mod Note 4153

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

opr wrote: »
    The problem as I pointed out a few pages back is that without Gerrard we don't have a player capable of playing as a sort of third in midfield in the front of Lucas and Adam.

Opr
    Give Henderson a shot....or play Adam there with Spearing and Lucas

Can't hurt at this stage tbf

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

PaulieC wrote: »

I'd play Lucas there before I'd play Adam, tbh. Not a lot of options, and any of the kids that might be able to play that position are still too young and probably not near ready in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Adam doesn't have the mobility to be an attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

They are both options neither of which are ideal but we need to try something. If I was Kenny I would be recalling Shelvey to play ahead of them.

Edit - I hate having to recall him btw. A season of football with Blackpool will do wonders for him but we are so short in that area that I think our need is greater and it still means he is going to get football. It's not like we are bringing him back to sit on the bench.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Jayob10 wrote: »
    In fairness to Meireles he bust a gut to get into the box on many occasions.

Charlie Adam doesn't do that and still shows sign of fatigue. Meireles is you stereotypical box to box midfielder anyways, capable at a push of playing as part of a two man central midfield.

Charlie Adam should not be played as part of a 2.

But thats a tactical debate, it may well be the case he cannot play as part of a two in middle but thats not to say he isnt putting the effort in. As part of a two, Lucas needs to contribute more as well in an attacking sense.

Meireles played a higher line, Adam is effectively playing the Alonso role, Alonso never ever ever got ahead of the ball like a Meireles type player.

Tactically, i kind of agree, we could use Hendersons engine in there. Ive said it a few times now but i feel he should be playing there as competition for Adam/Lucas. When he came on against United for Lucas he did pretty well and could have scored twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

spockety wrote: »
    If we spotted it, and Agger spotted it, you can be damn sure Kenny has spotted it.

It's one thing spotting it, He'd want to go and fucking fix it.

Talksport saying we have have made contact with Barcelona over midfielder Seydou Keita.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1264/09/liverpool-make-approach-barcelona-midfielder

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Talksport saying we have have made contact with Barcelona over midfielder Seydou Keita.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1264/09/liverpool-make-approach-barcelona-midfielder

Opr

£14m for a guy who'll be 32 in January? GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

daithijjj wrote: »
    But thats a tactical debate, it may well be the case he cannot play as part of a two in middle but thats not to say he isnt putting the effort in. As part of a two, Lucas needs to contribute more as well in an attacking sense.

Meireles played a higher line, Adam is effectively playing the Alonso role, Alonso never ever ever got ahead of the ball like a Meireles type player.

Tactically, i kind of agree, we could use Hendersons engine in there. Ive said it a few times now but i feel he should be playing there as competition for Adam/Lucas. When he came on against United for Lucas he did pretty well and could have scored twice.

Its nothing but a tactical debate. I don't get this business where any negative post is automatically a personal attack on the player in question. I'm not slating the lads effort. The fact he is running on empty with 15-20 mins to go shows he has put alot of effort in.

My gripe is that its not his game. In my previous posts I also likened him to Xabi, but Xabi rarely if ever played as part of a 2 man cental midfield. He always had Didi/Momo/Masch alongside him with Gerrard playing in front.

Adam is totally exposed in playing in a 4-4-2. Meireles player a higher line yes, but your argument that folks made the same "running out of steam" argument about Meireles is flawed in that Meireles played a role where it was inevitable he would run out of steam. The amount of times he arrived in the opposition box out of nowhere was unreal. Adam is heavy legged despite the fact he barely gets ahead of the ball.

You are right when you say Lucas needs to contribute more, he has a good engine on him, something Charlie just doesn't have despite the stats claiming he covers most ground. No point covering lots of ground for an hour if you are gassed with plenty of time to go.

This is a tactical debate. Ideally Adam would be playing alongside a top class defensive midfielder with pace, and ability to get forward when we are in possession and good recovery pace to get back when we lose the ball. And in front of them would be an attacking midfielder with a bit of guile to unlock defences.

The amount of space between midfield and attack is criminal.

Opr

Talkshite.

• Advertisement

Its nothing but a tactical debate. I don't get this business where any negative post is automatically a personal attack on the player in question. I'm not slating the lads effort. The fact he is running on empty with 15-20 mins to go shows he has put alot of effort in.

My gripe is that its not his game. In my previous posts I also likened him to Xabi, but Xabi rarely if ever played as part of a 2 man cental midfield. He always had Didi/Momo/Masch alongside him with Gerrard playing in front.

Adam is totally exposed in playing in a 4-4-2. Meireles player a higher line yes, but your argument that folks made the same "running out of steam" argument about Meireles is flawed in that Meireles played a role where it was inevitable he would run out of steam. The amount of times he arrived in the opposition box out of nowhere was unreal. Adam is heavy legged despite the fact he barely gets ahead of the ball.

You are right when you say Lucas needs to contribute more, he has a good engine on him, something Charlie just doesn't have despite the stats claiming he covers most ground. No point covering lots of ground for an hour if you are gassed with plenty of time to go.

This is a tactical debate. Ideally Adam would be playing alongside a top class defensive midfielder with pace, and ability to get forward when we are in possession and good recovery pace to get back when we lose the ball. And in front of them would be an attacking midfielder with a bit of guile to unlock defences.

The amount of space between midfield and attack is criminal.

That is why im talking about Henderson playing there. He could fill that area where Gerrard plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Right there has been enough negative talk on here lately..

Time to start finding solutions to our problems.

Which wingers should we be considering in January to supply Suarez and Carroll with some decent service???

Realistic targets only please i.e. Eden Hazard is not a realistic target for January.

djPSB wrote: »

Which wingers should we be considering in January to supply Suarez and Carroll with some decent service???

Realistic targets only please i.e. Eden Hazard is not a realistic target for January.

We need attackers capable of operating wide. Traditional Wingers are a thing of the past. We need widemen who carry significant goal threat. Capable of playing off the main striker and on either flank. And spend on young player with a track record.

I've said it before (and I know he has just signed a new 5 yr deal) but i'd love to see us go after Stefan Jovetic. Quality and guile in advanced positions through the centre. It would also allow the likes of Downing alot more space, right now opponents are squeezing the space Downing has as out wide is our main source of creativity, theres nothing coming through the centre.

You are right when you say Hazard is not a realistic target unfortunately.

Jovetic and a player who can operate on either flank would be a brilliant January.

I think Adam Johnson is pretty much as close to a traditional winger as you can get. Would be delighted if he was a possibility but probably not in January.

daithijjj wrote: »
    I think Adam Johnson is pretty much as close to a traditional winger as you can get. Would be delighted if he was a possibility but probably not in January.

Johnson is an excellent shout, but would like to see a player of the ilk of Jovetic signed also

Something like this would be excellent

Johnson
    Jovetic
    Suarez

Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Adam Johnson would be near the top of my pile if I could pick any player to sign.

I don't think City would sell to us though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't think City would sell full stop, not at the moment anyway. Mancini seems to really like him, it would all depend on Johnson attempting to force a prospective move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Johnson is an excellent shout, but would like to see a player of the ilk of Jovetic signed also

Something like this would be excellent

Johnson
    Jovetic
    Suarez

Carroll

As i said a couple of days ago, Jovetic signed a new 5 year contract two weeks ago and said he's very happy with la viola :( . Watched a good bit of him this season and he's playing really well after his form dipped last season for a good while. Does not look like he'll be leaving, unless they have some gentleman's agreement that he can leave if they finish low enough, they're a poor outfit this these days.

Anyone know how Georginio Wijnaldum has been getting on at PSV ?

Opr

• Advertisement

City linked with Javi Martínez, would be a quality addition to our side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Realistic target you say? Winger also? With pace, agility, superb crossing skills, good passer and an excellent footballing brain, Marko Marin is the man for you. Other than Adam Johnson of course but then I'd list him under not realistic. City just wouldn't sell him.
    City linked with Javi Martínez, would be a quality addition to our side.

A million times yes... I'd love love it if we got him

/keegan

A full on proper central midfielder that is capable of holding onto the ball under pressure, can control the game and maintain a tempo akin to, dare I say it, Alonso.

We've been linked to him so many times over the last 6 years or so it's been saddening to see every transfer window pass without him holding a Liverpool scarf above his head at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

We need attackers capable of operating wide. Traditional Wingers are a thing of the past. We need widemen who carry significant goal threat. Capable of playing off the main striker and on either flank. And spend on young player with a track record.

I've said it before (and I know he has just signed a new 5 yr deal) but i'd love to see us go after Stefan Jovetic. Quality and guile in advanced positions through the centre. It would also allow the likes of Downing alot more space, right now opponents are squeezing the space Downing has as out wide is our main source of creativity, theres nothing coming through the centre.

You are right when you say Hazard is not a realistic target unfortunately.

Jovetic and a player who can operate on either flank would be a brilliant January.

He signed a new five year contract last month, and would cost serious money as a result.

How do we gauge what a realistic target is?

Adam Johnson would be a very good signing in my eyes, but I doubt City would sell him to us so I reckon he would be unrealistic.

Jovetic is a fine player but signed a five year contract last month, so could be regarded as unrealistic.

In my eyes a player only becomes an unrealistic target when the cluyb gets knocked back after making an approach.

But to answer your question, one player who might be a realistic target in terms of price, talent, contract length etc. is Xherdan Shaqiri of Basel. Young, fast, very tricky, good crosser, just as good coming inside, and really good at link up play.

Personally I think we need both steel and guile in the centre and would love to see the club go after some of the excellent looking young talent out there like Christian Eriksen, or Markus Henriksen, and bring in steel like M'Vila or Moussa Sissoko to compliment them.

We are also lacking at the back and need a quality centre back.
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    A million times yes... I'd love love it if we got him

/keegan

A full on proper central midfielder that is capable of holding onto the ball under pressure, can control the game and maintain a tempo akin to, dare I say it, Alonso.

We've been linked to him so many times over the last 6 years or so it's been saddening to see every transfer window pass without him holding a Liverpool scarf above his head at Anfield.

100% agree with ya. Would love to see him come to Liverpool.

Sad to say I think we know that boat has passed lads. Time when we could have got him was way back in 09 when Rafa was reportedly very interested. He would now cost 40m+ and is on the radar of all the major clubs.

Opr

This guy wouldn't be a bad option as a back up striker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neIXYOJlWDA

Only 21 and scoring well in the Dutch League.

And he can FINISH.

I hate buying tickets on that stupid fúcking website. So frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

5starpool wrote: »
    I hate buying tickets on that stupid fúcking website. So frustrating.

It should be handy today, tommorrow is going be a nightmare, trying to get everton tickets on the same day of a general sale to all fan card holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Just read this Tweet ...
    The new Stadium announcement will be made this month. #LFC

Anyone else heard anything ?

niallo27 wrote: »
    It should be handy today, tommorrow is going be a nightmare, trying to get everton tickets on the same day of a general sale to all fan card holders.

Should be, but isn't. Tomorrow will be crazy alright, but at least once the traffic dies down tomorrow Everton should still be available provided you have the 7 credits from last season. I'm trying over an hour this morning with no luck, but annoyingly some people get in straight away.

It's not that hard to implement a queuing system, rather than the random shot they seem to do.

• Advertisement

Sad to say I think we know that boat has passed lads. Time when we could have got him was way back in 09 when Rafa was reportedly very interested. He would now cost 40m+ and is on the radar of all the major clubs.

Opr
    I remember Martinez since then and tracked him a bit since - Rafa wanted him when he was 19 but we wouldn't shell out the €12million or so (open to correction on the exact price) for him.

He's turned into a fine player since.

Just got Kop tickets for Stoke, West Brom and Wigan games.

Happy days :)

You get sorted 5starpool, or anyone else??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

This guy wouldn't be a bad option as a back up striker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neIXYOJlWDA

Only 21 and scoring well in the Dutch League.

And he can FINISH.

Scoring in the Dutch league is no indication of success in the EPL.
    Look at Chelsea and Mateja Kezman.
    Scored 81 goals over 3 seasons with PSV, including 35 in one season.
    With Chelsea, 7 goals in 40 appearences, a good few of them in the Carling and Fa Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Considering a few people on here seem to be missing Meireles, I was surprised at all the talk of buying wingers in Jan.

If we're signing before the summer I think a replacement for Meireles is the one slot we need to fill, especially with Aquilani and Shelvey on loan and Gerrard's fitness unreliable. The lack of bodies in the box when the ball is out wide is bewildering to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

With Chelsea, 7 goals in 40 appearences, a good few of them in the Carling and Fa Cup
    Indeed, look at Van Nistlerooy, Suarez, Bergkamp and so on.

Yes there's been Kezman and the player Boro signed from Herenveen who have flopped but there's players who have flopped from most countries.

The other poster just put a new name out there
    No harm in that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Or look at Ruud Van Nistelrooy

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Considering a few people on here seem to be missing Meireles, I was surprised at all the talk of buying wingers in Jan.

If we're signing before the summer I think a replacement for Meireles is the one slot we need to fill, especially with Aquilani and Shelvey on loan and Gerrard's fitness unreliable. The lack of bodies in the box when the ball is out wide is bewildering to say the least.
    Shelvey will be due back at the club soon but i have a feeling he will be allowed join a Premier League club on loan to further his progress.

But i agree that a replacement for Meireles must be a priority in January

The bodies not being in the box idea is IMO partly because of the way Suarez plays.
    He does seem to want to come deep a lot so sometimes he is the one supplying the ball in to the box himself.

amiable wrote: »
    Shelvey will be due back at the club soon but i have a feeling he will be allowed join a Premier League club on loan to further his progress.

But i agree that a replacement for Meireles must be a priority in January
    I think Shelvey is a work in progress for next season - I think we're hoping to do something along those lines - a lá Wilshire with Bolton

Here's hoping that Andy Carroll benefits like Glen Johnson did when he cut his locks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Here's hoping that Andy Carroll benefits like Glen Johnson did when he cut his locks

andy-carroll-shaved-hair2.jpg

2963943-zzandyhead_258_345.jpg?h=e61c47f771c36fc56b3c3091669528fe

andy+carroll+cornrow.JPG

• Advertisement

Has he cut the hair??
    Kess73 wrote: »

andy+carroll+cornrow.JPG

DEMOT1.jpg?1298274982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Why in God's name did he ever grow the pony tail, his hair looks way better short :pac:

Babettex23Babette
    Liverpool's academy manager Steve Cooper is currently visiting De Toekomst to observe and learn about Ajax's world famous youth academy

I agree that success in the Dutch League doesn't guarantee success in the premiership.

But its a better strategy than paying over inflated transfer fees for young British players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Andy's new hair. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

That highly reputable purveyor of insider knowledge caughtoffside reckons we'll be in for Villa in January. I'd say we're more likely to buy aston villa. would be good back up to have though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

anyone think 4-3-3 that we played towards the end of last season would be perfect to get the best out of the players we have at the min and considering that downing is so out of form

reina
    johnson
    skrtel
    agger
    enrique

lucas

gerrard
    adam

kuyt
    carroll
    suarez

if gerrard is unfit then id like to see henderson played there (it just might get the best out of him and even adam) and we have plenty of room for movement among the top 3 with bellemy and even maxi slotting in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Has he cut the hair??

yes! if you can't get to that twitter link above!

also the braids was just to piss off barton wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

pinch-of-salt.jpg

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/liverpool-contact-agents-barcelona-striker-david-villa-2128761
    Cadena Ser says Liverpool's owners want to buy Villa after seeing their top four hopes threatened in recent weeks over poor form in front of goal.

Villa is unsettled at Barca after being pushed aside to accommodate Lionel Messi's goal scoring capabilities.

Liverpool are aware of the situation and have already approached Villa's agents about his availability and the prospect of moving to Anfield.

Apparently Cadena Ser said nothing of the sort, but it's nice to dream...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement