Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 360 keeps crashing playing GTA4

Options
  • 06-11-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Ok I played GTA 4 a few years ago back when it was released.
    I can't remember having very many problems playing it before, the odd very rare crash but nothing too bad and I finished it with not too many problems.
    I've just decided to revisit it for another playthrough a couple of days ago and was prompted to install an update.
    Anyway its an absolute nightmare now.
    It is crashing constantly.
    When I say crashing I mean the screen freezes and I can do nothing and have to turn off the console.
    It crashed on the first date mission 3 times in a row.
    I managed to get by that and then it crashes on another later mission again.
    I'm now trying to get through Little Jacob's first mission and it keeps crashing on it.
    I have the game installed on my 20gb harddrive.
    I have the white 20gb xbox 360.
    It can't be the disc as the game is installed on my harddrive.
    Any ideas?
    Please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can't think of a known issue, the old save-file combined with the newer (dozen) update(s) may be causing it. If it's the console you're worried about try deleting the save file and starting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sounds like your console is about to RROD. Something similar happened on my seconds machine, usually with games that really pushed the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sounds like your console is about to RROD. Something similar happened on my seconds machine, usually with games that really pushed the system.

GTA4 shouldn't be pushing the console too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I started the game from scratch.
    I deleted my original game save I had from 2008 so I don't see how that could be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Your Xbox is definatly on its way out with rrod,
    I see it a lot when fixing them,
    If I was you I'd be calling Microsoft and checking my warranty situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Have you tried playing it with GTA4 installed to the HDD?

I really hope its not rrod because that would be a nightmare.
    My xbox 360 was bought in November 2006 so it is well past its warranty.
    Last saturday week Medal of Honor was played for about 3 hours with not a single crash.
    I played rage for over an hour on it when it came out off the disk and there were no crashes.
    I think its just GTA 4 thats causing the problems.
    I've been trying to play GTA 4 off my harddrive.
    All the freezing has been from playing GTA4 installed from the disk onto the harddrive.
    I even tried another copy of GTA4 ie. the disc that I got with the complete edition which is brand new and hadn't been opened and it froze again after a few minutes so its not a disc read problem.
    I know sometimes even you have a game installed on your harddrive there can be problems with the 360 reading the disc but now I know thats not the problem as its a brand new disc.
    I'm going to try just playing the game off the disc and see if that works.

By the way I tried some more GTA 4 using the disc later on and it crashed again.
    It crashed multiple times.
    I also tried forza 2 and it crashed twice.
    I think my xbox 360 is on the way out unfortunately.
    The console is out of warranty aswell as I bought it in 2006.
    So how much does it cost to repair it out of warranty here?
    How long is it guaranteed for repair after warranty?
    is it really true that it is only
    90 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

I started to play it recently also because of the new trailer, I am having no problems but defiantly sounds like your console is about to die. Good news though is you are only able to buy new S model 360's, which for one of them to red ring would be very odd indeed.

There are alot of good deals around also because coming up to Christmas. I saw Amazon had a great one just this week and Gamestop will have a lot of different bundles also, can't say much for the other stores, I usually only deal with these.

Well, since you can play all other games fine, i wouldn't jump straight to saying your console is broken. It could be the disc.

• Advertisement

It happened with forza 2 aswell though and I know its not the disc as I tried another disc.
    Strangely though it doesn't seem to crash when I take off my harddrive so it could be the harddrive.
    I need to do some further testing tonight.

It's a strange problem alright, could you try give the gta4 disc to a friend to try on his/ her xbox?

It works fine when using my usb portable harddrive.
    Its my 20gb harddrive that is causing the crashing.
    When I have the 20gb drive connected after a while the console freezes.

Well, can you try format the HDD? See if that helps?

I actually did that last night and put everything from my 360 drive onto my usb harddrive and then formatted my 360 drive.
    I played halfway through one mission on GTA4 and it crashed.
    It'll still play fine when my 360 drive is detached anyway so I'm gonna use my usb harddrive as my main drive for my xbox 360 now.
    I think it'll hopefully work fine.
    No problems so far anyway.

BTW formatting my harddrive did fix the problem.
    It only crashes very rarely now with GTA4 and I have played for a couple of hours without it crashing so
    fingers crossed but so far it appears formatting actually solved the problem.

GTA 4 freezing has reared its ugly head again with a vengeance.
    It looks like using my usb harddrive to play it and disconnecting my 360 drive is the only way for me to play this game.

Advertisement