Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmerston North NZ

Options
  • 06-11-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

So Im a very lucky boy.. Im heading on study Abroad to Plamerston North in New Zealand for 5 Months. Exciting stuff. The oonly thing is I cant seem to find alot about the city of Palmerston north online. Obviously there is the usual sites but nothing solid (Look I'm a student, I wanna know where to go clubbing, and do studenty stuff :D ) Also planning on spending some time travelling. Any suggestions!!? O ill me in Massey University if that helps!

Sound! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Its kind of like Carlow, plenty of student fun at the week and a different crowd out at the weekend. Not a big town by any means and not much of interest nearby but its a good central base to go on trips to the Taupo or Wanganui river regions and do some activities. You can cath the magic bus to any other part of nz from here too. So yeah its a grand town, dont know where to tell you to go to find out more, maybe email the student council or somethin

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cypher.

and definitely check out owlcatraz in Shannon... its a hoot..

Palmerston North or Palmy as its is also known has a big student population.. You'll enjoy it when you mix it up with the rest of the students..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 prawncurrie

Well I was born in Palmerston North, have lived in Dublin for many years now but still visit as I have a lot of family there. I've often said if Palmerston North had a sister town in Ireland it'd be Drogheda. So Palmie is small, there's not a hell of a lot going on there but like anywhere you'll find nice people. The Ruahine Ranges are right there and they're great if you're into hiking (tramping in NZ). Wellington is a 2 hour drive away, good for the weekends. The beach (Foxton) is 30 mins drive away, river very close too - Pohangina is a good spot for a swim. As for clubs...well.....as long as you're with some nice people doesn't matter where you are right. But bound to be somewhere ok as a lot of students. Hope you enjoy. And you need a car. Buying a car in NZ is much cheaper, insurance too. You'll be trapped without one, very important and luckily for you NZ now recognizes your Irish license. If you can't drive, learn while you're there & you can swap when you get back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Manawatu_NZ

Great news that you're coming to Palmerston North. www.manawatunz.co.nz is the regional website for Palmerston North City & Manawatu. Here you'll find out what's on (events) and what there is to see and do in the City and Region. For student focused information see http://www.studentcity.net.nz/ If you have any questions, contact the visitor information centre staff - palmerstonnorth@i-site.org or telephone +64 6 350 1922

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Lol. Mr Fawlty doesnt like Palmy eh? Ah he's a bit harsh I think and obviously had a bad day...plus there's no way i'd ever describe Invercargill as "delightfull" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

All the cool people call it P Nordy. If you remember that you'll be fine :)

I like Palmie, it's a small town but has a fun vibe because of all the students. Some people at work went to Uni there - they have very funny stories and very happy memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yo yo P Nordy up in this hizzle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

P Nordy - never heard that in my life.

You must not be cool :p

A friend from work is from Palmie and she cracks me up everytime she says she's going up to P Nordy for a visit :)

Advertisement