Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longing for the good ol days

Options
  • 06-11-2011 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I just cant settle into BF3 there so many things about it that annoy me and just make me want to go back and play BF2.

Knifing for one is a pain, in bf2 you could swing a knife about once per second but not in BF3 its crap not to mention sneaking up on someone only to knife them several times without killing them. Also the animation for stealing a dog tag should be optional, its annoying as hell. By the time you get a tag theres someone waiting to pop you in the cap.

Jumping is annoying too, many times i try to scale a wall or fence to evade enemies only for the animation to play out yet i remain staying in the same spot.

Is a horn on the jeeps too much to ask for?

That glint on the sniper rifles is a joke and should be taken out forever in a patch

The intrusive HUD poor too. Big icons that clog your screen isnt nice not to mention a text box that wipes out half your screen.

It just doesnt feel like battlefield to me. It supposed to be the successor to BF2 but i dont think it is at all. Technically yes but in terms of gameplay i just dont think so. I dunno maybe i need more time on it but i dont remember this feeling of disappointment with Bad company even

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I won't lie, quite a few of those things annoy me. And the general "softness" of the graphics. I can be pointing right at someone and I don't see them. I don't care for really high damage in FPS games but the recoil and poor visibility make it a neccesity. It'd be completely unplayable without that.

BC2 had a lot of faults at launch with regards weapon balance, and if it was Call of Duty you'd have to learn to deal with it, but in fairness to DICE they're fairly proactive about fixing things. There's alwayas going to be some things wrong out of the box and I'd expect them to tackle a few of them at least.

I went back playing BF2 maybe a year ago and you have to be careful about looking at it through rose tinted specs. There were definitely issues, particularly with the map design. They scaled things down for Battlefield Play4Free and that brought in some new problems. I was getting headshotted across the map because there was no bullet drop. With that in mind I think they're starting to find a comfortable middle ground between BF2 and BC2 but it'll take a little more fine tuning. Let's not judge this one too early. If they haven't sorted things by January then's time to put the pressure on. I'm expecting them to do a couple of addons and give the game a lifespan of a couple of years so there's still time to fix problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Let us chat after the round ends! I WANT TO INSULT PEOPLE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

steve_ wrote: »
    By the time you get a tag theres someone waiting to pop you in the cap.

lol

john-cena-word-life.jpg

The lack of post match chat strikes me as antisocial. You only get about a second to type "lol fagget" when you win, maybe I should keybind it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Knifing in BF3 is amazing, it feels right and it's brutal and gory like it should be in real life, none of that slashing **** from 5 feet away, right into the heart, can almost feel it it's that well done.
    Still a few kinks to work out on missing the target, but as it stands DICE revolutionized the knifing in fps games imho.

• Advertisement

From a gameplay point of view it's not that fun though. You used be able to sneak up behind 3 people and stab them and keep moving. The way you stand still for ages each time while the game goes through its animation makes you a sitting duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

It marks the complete dumbing down of the series imo. BF3 is a decent game and looks amazing, but it doesn't come close to the fun and varied gameplay that BF2 offered. DICE's other big selling points for BF3 - single player, jets and 64 player multiplayer, don't really add anything significant to the game. The single player is generic and forgettable and the jets and 64 players feel like they were just tacked on at the end without much effort.

The focus on the current generation of consoles in development has scuppered what was once a great franchise. I know it's probably necessary to cater to consoles from a financial point of view, but the game would have been far better as a large scale multiplayer only PC shooter ala BF1942, BF2 and BF2142. A BF2: Modern Combat style title or BC3 could have returned focus to consoles next.

Now BF2 was by no means perfect - there were well known problems such as excessive grenade spam and dodgy hitreg, as well as a number of serious bugs. But the map design, vehicle handling, kits, squads, VOIP, commander and so on make it vastly superior to BF3 in terms of gameplay and longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

From a gameplay point of view it's not that fun though. You used be able to sneak up behind 3 people and stab them and keep moving. The way you stand still for ages each time while the game goes through its animation makes you a sitting duck.

If you want the dog tags you gotta earn it by risking getting so close and taking the time to stab them in the heart and rip off their dog tag. totally justified, if you don't like it, shoot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I hate the game, its just not battlefield

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont know. I've had scenarios where I have gotten behind 2-3 people. Usually when they are fairly spaced out I knife one and shoot the other two np or when they are bunched up I shoot all 3. It makes me think more rather then running in and just tapping F rapidly to get 3 quick kills + dogtags

Now its 1 long kill + dogtag and 2 quick kills or play it safe and 3 quick kills and no dogtags.

It makes it have more value and like a lot of the new mechanics in BF3 it makes you think more on risk vs reward instead of simply twitch (like all the new vehicle features)
    Is a horn on the jeeps too much to ask for?

I wouldnt be surprised if that shows up in a patch a lot of people have asked about it which is understandable and seeing how well Dice responded with the battlelog patch (directly naming the people who made suggestions that they implemented).
    That glint on the sniper rifles is a joke and should be taken out forever in a patch

I disagree with this statement so much. They've toned the glint down dramatically from the beta it doesnt need to be removed it goes back to the risk vs reward system and it forces snipers to shoot then relocate like the real thing. Compared to the beta and on the much wider maps its very easy to miss the glint. I think in its current form the glint works fine.

Now the bullet drop might need a slight adjustment, at the moment its very noticeable at the moment when really it should only come into effect when you start firing really long range. I dont want to remove it but it should be easier to judge when someone is at a range that you need to adjust for it. Hell a manual or guide alone will help with this.

Personnally I'm under no illusion about BF3. The second they announced that bad company 2 was going to all platforms you should have seen the writing on the wall that battlefield was going in this direction. Personnally I have no issues with the removal of the commander. I'm not in a clan and on public servers being the commander was a thankless job that usually had some dick in control or constantly screaming abuse at you. The voip concerns on pc confuse me as last I checked people still opted to use teamspeak/ventrillo when playing bf2 just like they do for bf3. Yes they ****ed up but clearly they were trying to emulate the party chat system of xbox live which has proven very successful and popular for good reason, you want to talk to your friends not some dick stranger online. I think they've made so many little changes to how things worked yet kept the overall structure has made people unfairly critical as they keep assuming everything works the same way and bitching it doesnt feel right when clearly they dont work the same way anymore. IT IS A NEW GAME with NEW MECHANICS.

Does it have problems? Yes I'd argue it falls somewhat into the same trap as 2142 that it relies a bit too much on unlocks making players incredible weak at the beginning. Its not as bad as 2142 which can be incredible frustrating when you start but clearly the jets have problems with initial leveling despite it still being set very low (you only need 1 kill to unlock flares and 2 more for heat seekers)

Does it deserve the harsh treatment it gets by being compared to BF3? No. It was clear since even 2142 that the commander system was not working and on the way out. Jets were also removed in that title, not for consoles but for balance. Almost everything people are complaining about either have been in development since 2142 (Rush is a simplified design varient based off Titan mode, the extensive unlocks.) or are designs specifically made to deal with issues people were already complaining about (the glint is a response to wookies from bc2, the knifing system equally designed to deal with teleport knifers again from bc2)

battlefield 3 is the ever continuing progression of the battlefield series, the biggest mistake may be calling it battlefield 3, or it may have been called bad company 2 bad company. all the games feed into one design philosophy. This is battlefield and it feels like battlefield, I fail to understand how anyone can argue it doesnt unless they skipped every title between 2 and 3.

Also my biggest gripe of bf3 is how close it brings the community to me cause quite frankly most of them seem to be dicks, but thats why I never go to the official forums of any game cause everyone on them seem to be assholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

The game as a whole is very solid and as people said its implementing things to try balance the game as much as possible. But at the end of the day its the maps that create the online experience and thats where i feel its lacking. Mechanically is great and with some fine tuning might be amazing but without the great maps its also just going to be ok. Hopefully back to karkand changes my view completely or maybe it just takes more time to appreciate the maps that are currently playable.

One last thing that is a head wrecker is the over powered flashlights its crazy!! I wouldnt mind if you got blinded if it shone only on your head but it seems to blind no matter where the enemy is pointing, same goes for lasers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

People should go back and try playing bf2, then throw away those pink shaded glasses and go back playing bf3.

It's not perfect, but dice always looks into balance and they always listen to community.

I am so +++++1 on chat after round. I get a lot of Nerdrage in bf3 lately and calling someone a dick would help my anger management.

+1 for horn

I want to add new animation an ability in to game too. When you press q your character comes close to your team mate them slaps him and asks for ammo or health pack. I am so tired of jumping in front of support assshole and spam q, and all he does just derp derp there's a shiny object, I am going to poke it....

Knife kills are perfect and not needed to be changed at all. Knife kill is about your cockiness. If you feel like a dick and totally safe you will go for that knife kill and humiliate enemy. Cod made people spoiled. Knife was newer efficient weapon when guns are involved. No more I win button, thx god for that.

Glare from sniper rifles - awesome.

Knife kills are perfect and not needed to be changed at all. Knife kill is about your cockiness. If you feel like a dick and totally safe you will go for that knife kill and humiliate enemy. Cod made people spoiled. Knife was newer efficient weapon when guns are involved. No more I win button, thx god for that.

God the withes in mw2 were for a while a flippin nightmare to deal with...I should know I was one of them kekekekekeke

I agree with Steve's sentiments that maps really help with giving the game the spark it needs, but I disagree that with only 1 week in that we got a feel for them.

I did a map read last week on my preference, if I go back now I'm pretty sure a fair few of them would swap (Kharg Island has leaped way up on my positive list, easily one of the best balanced large maps in the game) and even bf2 it wasnt until a bit after release that kharkand became the standout map.

They cant all be instant wins like wake island that even the developers knew from release was the best map in 1942 (hence it was the one on the demo)

and out of 9 maps i'd say seven of them are solid entries. Really only tehran highway and metro annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    God the withes in mw2 were for a while a flippin nightmare to deal with...I should know I was one of them kekekekekeke

I agree with Steve's sentiments that maps really help with giving the game the spark it needs, but I disagree that with only 1 week in that we got a feel for them.

I did a map read last week on my preference, if I go back now I'm pretty sure a fair few of them would swap (Kharg Island has leaped way up on my positive list, easily one of the best balanced large maps in the game) and even bf2 it wasnt until a bit after release that kharkand became the standout map.

They cant all be instant wins like wake island that even the developers knew from release was the best map in 1942 (hence it was the one on the demo)

and out of 9 maps i'd say seven of them are solid entries. Really only tehran highway and metro annoy me.

Oh god... I hate metro. I hate it in squad deathmatch, I hate it in rush, I hate it in conquest. **** map is ****. They need to add some minecraft in to that map, so you could use pick axe to get alternative route to B FFs.

Oh god... I hate metro. I hate it in squad deathmatch, I hate it in rush, I hate it in conquest. **** map is ****. They need to add some minecraft in to that map, so you could use pick axe to get alternative route to B FFs.

which B?

the 2nd set? I tend to try and come at it via the stairway in the back as its harder to defend.

or the third B? That one is a b*tch to take but strangely also damn hard to defend cause you got to run through an open area to get to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 conorw2011

I feel metro was just created to lure the cod players in through the beta, it's very linear not many routes, close range fire, and no vehicles. It's not a traditional BF map

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Great for spotting the noobs. Either go iron site, or iron site until you unlock one without a glint.
    KilOit wrote: »
    none of that slashing **** from 5 feet away
    In BC2, on a face to face knife versus M60 fight, knife always won.

=-=

Tooting your own horn to get people to jump on so you can give them a quick ride to shoot your load against someone is a feature that is missing :pac: esp when you are alone in the jeep, and you drive by people running for the first flag :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well ive gone back to playing BC2, to many issues with BF3 in its current incarnation.
    I think by the time the Karky expansion gets released the game will have improved a lot. Im waiting tillt then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Knifing for one is a pain, in bf2 you could swing a knife about once per second but not in BF3 its crap not to mention sneaking up on someone only to knife them several times without killing them. Also the animation for stealing a dog tag should be optional, its annoying as hell. By the time you get a tag theres someone waiting to pop you in the cap.

I would disagree with that. The point with knifes is that DICE have made them much more like in real life, ie only really effective for a sneak silent attack against someone largely on their own. You are supposed to use them to silently take down a soldier who is isolated (ie you don't want to draw attention to yourself with the sound of a gun shot to the head)

The old BF2 notion of jumping down to 3 people and taking them all out with a knife in a few seconds might have made people feel like ninjas but it was utterly unrealistic. A knife swing in real life is not an instant kill, so you would just get shot. Which is what happens now.

If you are in a position where doing the dog tag steal will leave you open to the other soldiers just shooting you then you probably shouldn't be using your knife. That is what guns are for. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Auvers wrote: »
    I hate the game, its just not battlefield

No its Battlefield 3 infact and its surpassed what id hoped the game would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dcully wrote: »
    No its Battlefield 3 infact and its surpassed what id hoped the game would be.

Agree im Mac Lovin it.

Advertisement